Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unable to apply for super back

Options
  • 12-12-2010 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi all,

I left aus a few months ago and my 2 year WHV has now expired. I've been trying to apply for my super back on the ato.gov website. I have my TFN, passport number and all other preliminary details ready and correct however the site wont let me proceed past the stage where I have to enter these details and states that my visa has not expired yet.

My visa is gone by about two weeks now at this stage and I'm starting to get a bit worried. Does anyone have any advice or input here? I had to apply for a new passport during my second year in aus so the passport number I'm using on the website is different to the number I entered the country with. I tried using my original number but that is not recognised. I made sure I notified the authorities at the airport about this as I left and I was told by immigration that they are aware that I have been in the country under two different passport numbers and no complications should arise.

I could always use the likes of taxback.com to do all of this but that would be a serious kick in the teeth knowing that they will pocket a few hundred off me for doing next to nothing.

I've been told that there is some kind of process that alows you to manually terminate your visa, has anybody used this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

Try phoning your superannuation company. You can probably claim it directly from them once you complete the DART form or whatever it's called.

I think the superannuation companies hand the super money over to the ATO after your visa has been expired for 6 months or so.

And call them up a few times until you get someone helpful. Never expect much from call centres, they're full of backpackers & the like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

My visa is nearly up 6 months. Should I wait til its all handed over to the ATO to try claim it back then?
    Also, do they send you a cheque or what? I just realised I never closed my account but it must be in some debt by now, with all them monthly $5 fees!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 dganly

Hi folks,
    Just checked with the team in Visa First, and they said that the quickest way to cancel your WHV for super refunds is to contact your nearest Australian Embassy or migration office. Hope this helps!
    D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Anyone do anything else with this? Going to claim the super back soon. As others asked do you need to wait for your visa to expire? If so I'll do it then. I'm going to contact my superfund and see what the story is.

Advertisement