Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what happens if you fail a module?

Options
  • 12-12-2010 4:10pm

One of mine is looking increasingly dodgy by the day, now I might scrape a pass but whats the worst case scenario? Is there summer repeats or must it be repeated during the year?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

I was wondering this for one of my modules - Exploring Hispanic Cultures. Its a PBL module, which means that I do it with a group. We do projects based on a title they give us... What would happen if we were to fail that? We could hardly have an exam, as theres no exams for the module... Anyone know the answer? Im kind of intruiged!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

A lot of modules (in law anyway) offer an essay next semester to pass, failing that you have summer repeats costing you 250 euro per subject and then if you fail those you'd have to take extra credits next year to make up for it.

(So to pass the year you need to pass 10 out of your 12 subjects, if you fail 2 of those its grand you still pass, but next year you have to take 14 subjects!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Resits are a common option: pay a couple of hundred bucks and sit it again. The GPA from a resit is capped at 2.0. If the subject is an elective, you have the option of ditching it for something else, but that costs more in time and money.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

If you go to the course desriptor (accessible through SIS, go into the registration section where it lists all your modules) there is a section saying "what happens if I fail?".

It'll tell you there what the procedure is for that course, as it can vary. Generally you do a repeat/resit. Unless you can get yourself an E and then you have the possiblility of passing by compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

WeeBushy wrote: »
    If you go to the course desriptor (accessible through SIS, go into the registration section where it lists all your modules) there is a section saying "what happens if I fail?".

Going to http://www.ucd.ie/modules/<module_code&gt; is the easiest way to get that module info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Going to http://www.ucd.ie/modules/<module_code&gt; is the easiest way to get that module info

I always knew there must be an easier way, but could never find it. I used to go through the prospective students portal as well where they have the module info.

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I think it might be a new addition, I only found it a few weeks ago.

Advertisement