Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDMI cable needed soon

Options
  • 12-12-2010 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Does anyone know where I can get a HDMI cable at a reasonable price asap? I'm desperate but I'm blowed if I'm paying 30e from my local shop.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

€6.99 in Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭chillin_penguin

Power city for €8.05 and will deliver.

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=30-70-HM2015

They are all different prices depend on quality, but if its just to watch Blu ray at home (nothing Fancy) you will never notice the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

2 Metre Tesco lead for €6.89 :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

I got one in Tesco a few weeks back for €3.something.

Tesco or Lidl as posted. Gamestop also do decent ones under a tenner, or if you're near a maplins they're usually good too.

Don't pay over the odds, you're just being shafted, there's no difference in quality unless you're talking about a really top of the range gold plated lead, and even then it's negligible. I used to work for a major wholesaler of consumer electronics, and the cables and connectors were all sold at ridiculous profit margins. The only difference between a €4.99 and a €19.99 cable is the amount of profit that goes into a retailer's pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Tesco or Lidl as posted. Gamestop also do decent ones under a tenner, or if you're near a maplins they're usually good too.

Don't pay over the odds, you're just being shafted, there's no difference in quality unless you're talking about a really top of the range gold plated lead, and even then it's negligible. I used to work for a major wholesaler of consumer electronics, and the cables and connectors were all sold at ridiculous profit margins. The only difference between a €4.99 and a €19.99 cable is the amount of profit that goes into a retailer's pocket.

HDMI is a digital connection i.e. 1 or 0, you either get signal with the cable or you don't.

Gold plating makes no difference. Save your money and don't be fooled.

Get the cheapest ones you can OP. I picked up €3 ones in Tesco and they're perfect for the job :)

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭obliviousgrudge

Got one in Arogs for 7.50€

Gold plating makes no difference. Save your money and don't be fooled.

Get the cheapest ones you can OP.

It makes a very very tiny, inconsequential difference that absolutely isn't worth paying for.

Its not just a 1 or a 0 in the signal, the signal is made of billions of bits. Gold conducts better and doesn't corrode as much, which means there's a minutely small difference in the strength and clarity of the signal getting to your tv and a lower error rate between what your unit is saying and the message that your tv is getting. This would only make a very negligible difference (an incorrect pixel once every now and then in your display)which isn't noticeable at modern framerates and resolutions, and really doesn't bear worrying about.

Gold plating a HDMI cable is just a way to get more cash off consumers, just get the cheapest one you can, like everybody says, there's no functional difference whatsoever.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I've found ones in loads of discount stores. Got some for 6 euro with gold plated connectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 vinniew09

to be honest everyone has their own opinions when it comes to purchasing cables my advice is how you value the screen your gonna be watching them on..
    i personally dont believe on spending an absolute fortune on a cable for a small screen tv and ps3.but if you paying for a high quality tv you should budget yourself for a good quality cable especially in a 32'' or above...theirs a massive difference especially when it comes to upscalling where iv seen the big difference.whether its sky or bluray you will be watching a certin degree of standard definition channels or dvds.monster are overpriced if you look hard you will find belkin(which in my eyes are just as good) differnce is in the shielding and thickness which i had the pleasure (not at my expense) of cutting them up and stripping them down as part of a project.

• Advertisement
Advertisement