Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returns Question

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

You are getting professional advice from someone with over 20yrs in retail under their belt.:rolleyes:

Thanks, appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭chappy

I'm a store manager in a national sports company and would deal daily with people returning faulty items. Just a little input:

-we would except back returns from any branch
    -our company policy which is at each till in the company states that we have the right to receive a second opinion from HQ or manufacturers on perceived faulty goods. If this is necessary it may take up to 10 days. Any company has the right to do this. If you are not prepared to allow this to happen then you are not fulfilling your requirements to come to a happy conclusion and hence the company will not help you.
    -the problem you have had is not necessarily a manufacturing fault and as a result this is why they are not prepared to make an on the spot decision. While you are saying you did not use them in extreme conditions you would not believe the stories I have heard. As a result I am always very skeptical of peoples explanation of use.
    -as previously stated you are only entitled or repair,replacement or refund if the company decide this is a manufacturing fault and not misuse. Also it is up to the company which of the 3 they offer. The below link to a Q+A on the NCA website will give you a full explanation:
    http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/FAQs/Faulty-goods/

-people in these shops are dealing with problems like this every day of the week and I can guarantee if you go in shouting consumer law(which you do not fully understand)and threatening the scc they will be in no frame of mind to be in any way relaxed with company policies.

Please let us know how you get on though...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

You see, I would have had no problem returning them for inspection prior. But the way the business handled my complaint, is what infuriates me. I still think any branch should be able to make a call on a products fault. I am disappointed that the story keeps changing when I speak with someone and the accusation that the runners were "soaking wet" by the local store manager which is completely false.

As for perhaps under playing what happened and experience proving opposite - a fair point, but treat each case differently. The damage on the runners is minor, not massive. But its still damage, and I expect runners to have some durability in wet weather. The local store are insisting I don't wear them in the rain - at all. Thats no good to me, and something I was never told (it was raining the day I bought them also :p). I don't fully believe it either.

I haven't had a chance to follow this up, but I am considering asking my partner who will be going up that direction for Christmas to return them to the original store and ill take the next step from that.

Again, I was acting on advice from the NCA which seems to have been poor. The comments here came later, and have been taken on-board as I mull over the decision and speak with the NCA again.

Right well following the advice from here - I got my partner to bring back the shoes to the store while she was home for Christmas. Its about a half an hour away from her.

She arrived, the assistant was aware of the case, and refused to take them. She said that my local store will need to send it back to them for review - as in, the shoes cant be brought back to the shop for review, even if its the original store. She stated it was their protocol.

Partner insisted this was incorrect, as she was present during the visits to the local store and was aware of what I was told to do. Assistant said she will ask the area manager to call - partner said no, and refused to leave unless she clarified this with her manager. Girl refused initially, saying no manager was available as it was the holiday season. But in the end, she made the call and the manager agreed to issue a full refund.

So, after a battle even in the original store, the manager agreed to refund me.

So it ended with success for me, in the end, after a long drawn out battle.

Thanks for everyones advice here. Appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Thankfully after a few months.... any way you can name the store?

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Thankfully after a few months.... any way you can name the store?

Don't think it would be wise and I would imagine the mods wouldn't like it mentioned. Its a small firm, not like the big companies, but it has a few stores around Ireland mostly in the midlands I think.

Seem like a decent shop stock wise, just had nothing but bad luck with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Thanks for reporting on the outcome, and I am pleased that you had a success. I am pleased not just for yourself, but for all consumers. Every time a consumer takes on a retailer whose performance is unsatisfactory, it is a contribution to the general good. One more manager trained!

Thanks for reporting on the outcome, and I am pleased that you had a success. I am pleased not just for yourself, but for all consumers. Every time a consumer takes on a retailer whose performance is unsatisfactory, it is a contribution to the general good. One more manager trained!

Thanks, but I don't think the store have learned anything from this. I think it was a case of just getting rid of the customer who refused to step down. Whats to say another customer, perhaps not as will informed through forums like these, wont be treated the same way and just give up?

Disappointing service overall.

Advertisement