Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rip off driving school???

• 12-12-2010 5:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi all,

I’m currently training on the Bus D license with a <driving school>. I have passed my Rigid C license a few weeks ago with another company so I thought I would get about 3 or 4 two hour lessons in the bus and then go for my test. After getting two lessons the company informed me it was there policy that I must do a 3 hour mock test and then if I failed the mock (which I did) I would have to do as many lessons as they said I required.

My test is in two days I have seven hours done on the bus I’m willing to do another three hours but they are saying they will not let me have the bus for my test unless I do more because they don’t won’t my failing to bring down the reputation of their company!!!
    At no stage when I was booking my lessons did they say or give me a price for a mandatory mock test or that they would not allow me have the bus on the day of my test if they felt I wouldn’t pass.

Has anyone else any thoughts or experienced practices like this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

KEN.G wrote: »
    when I was booking my lessons
    Its better to avoid block booking lessons in case you may not be satisfied with the school/instructor.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭driverite

I had that as well with that school, Payed them for a full course.......over €1500 and after the very first drive they were pushing the 3 hour mock test.......then a week before my test they told me i had to have it or else i wouldnt get the bus for the test......and it cost's €98 an hour,

and then looked for €700 more off me before i could do the test( they told me my money had run out..i told them i paid for the whole course and even had the emails to prove it but they wouldn't budge,There excuse was the price had gone up since i paid for the course) i Said no way and went with a different school in the area of North County Dublin

I will never cross the door of <SNIP> again,

Also had a pal who trained with them to become an ADI, charged him €330 for his part 3 just for the hire of the car( and that is on top of fee's for part 1 and 2)......and to this day he has never got any work off them as was promised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭donkey balls

If you passed the C licence(ridgid truck) I would thought that a few lessons would see you pass the D test after all there is not much difference between the two.
    Work wise you would be better off doing te EC test as more employers look for them.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭DrivingTestTips: Brian

Mock Test?

I was thinking of not saying anything, but just had to....

DO NOT DO MOCK TESTs!!!!!!!

A driving instructor can tell you what ever they want to get more lessons out of you.

MOCK TEST ARE BULL....... Driving Instructors are there to teach you how to drive; they are not there to TEST you.

PEOPLE; STOP with the mock test and look for Driving Lessons!!

Driving Schools that rip off people like this don't deserve your money.

I advertise driving instructors and if the OP PMs me prof of this and the name of the school I will ban them from my websites.
    I don't want these type of instructor listed on my websites.

Sorry about the rant..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

I agree up to a point. It is not correct to use mock tests to scare someone into taking more lessons. They can be usefull in preparing a good but nervous driver. A driver who seems to make more mistakes during the presure of the test. Getting them used to someone quietly watching them.
    I do know who the op is taking about having read th post before the edit and having heard similar ' hard sell ' stories about them. You do have some of their drivers listed. Part of me is disgusted by their tactic and would want these stories publicised. Part of me thinks it is someone elses complaint to make.

ADIDriving wrote: »
    They can be usefull in preparing a good but nervous driver. A driver who seems to make more mistakes during the presure of the test. Getting them used to someone quietly watching them.

I understand.... but 90% of the time mock tests are used to exploit lessons out of people.

Doing what you are talking about; I would only do it by request and would not class my opinion as an actual test result.

I am not aware of any driving instructors listed on my websites who use this mock test system to exploit lessons out of pupils and if you can give me proof of this conduct they will be removed from the sites.

I understand.... but 90% of the time mock tests are used to exploit lessons out of people.
    In your opinion. My point is that they can be used constructively.

Doing what you are talking about; I would only do it by request
    As is it a useful tool in the right situation, you should suggest this when appropriate. Different people need different styles of instruction.

and would not class my opinion as an actual test result.
    Your opinion does matter. You are a professional. And from your previous statement, I expect you are honest.

I am not aware of any driving instructors listed on my websites who use this mock test system to exploit lessons out of pupils and if you can give me proof of this conduct they will be removed from the sites.
    Mine are second hand stories. You want a PM from the Ken or Driverite. But an instructor from the school is listed. But having a large percentage of instructors listed you will get some rotten apples spoiling the good reputation of the others. As perhaps was the cause of your passionate rant.

How is the learner to know you are not trying to rip them off.

I have never in over ten years heard an instructor say after a mock test "you would have passed" now you don't need to take more lessons with me.

I recommend their number of lessons after their assessment and if they want to have a mock test in there. Well that's up to them.

My motto is; the less I have to say, the better you are.

I understand you like mock tests but I have experienced Ken's story so many times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

put the Irish Mail onto them, that may shake up these scammers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭greyc

I have never in over ten years heard an instructor say after a mock test "you would have passed" now you don't need to take more lessons with me.

I recommend their number of lessons after their assessment and if they want to have a mock test in there. Well that's up to them.

I understand you like mock tests but I have experienced Ken's story so many times.

I think there's two different scenarios going on here. I agree with you, some schools use mock tests to scam pupils, and I'm almost sure I know who Ken is talking about as my friend was caught out in a similar fashion. This school will try and get as many lessons as possible out of you, charging €55 per hour. Then if you need to use one of their cars for the test they'll make you take a pre-test with one of their supervisors and he'll usually say that you can't have the car unless you take x amount of extra lessons.

I'd also agree with ADI Driving, as my instructor also used mock tests, but only after going thru everything beforehand, ie going over the routes and doing all the manoeuvres. At no time did he ever pressure me to take extra lessons eventhough I failed 2 or 3 mock tests, (he used to be a driving tester so I trusted his judgement), and in fact I passed the last 2 with only 3 or 4 faults, which is exactly what I got on my actual test.

I have to say that I found the mock tests really helpful and I felt quite nervous doing them, so they kind of get you used to the actual test situation. I think like everything else there's good and bad instructors and if you're not happy change instructor.

I understand that some instructors use mock test to help. I used them but only by request, where the pupil asked me to do it.

But and it's a big but; Ken's situation is the most common mock test story I ever hear; and €55 an hour is very expensive.

Will you pm the name of the school? please!

Odd question. How does anyone know when they are being ripped off? How do your students know you are not ripping them off? Probably because I did not rip them off when I taught them to drive or because I did not rip off the friend that recommended me or because people can usually tell when then are being ripped off. And I expect it is the same with your customers. The people posting in this thread know they have been ripped off, hence the title.

Do you sit in on many other instructors lessons? I frequently tell students they pass. Particularly just before their test. It will help their confidence.

Assessment / test. You say potato, I say bag of chips. Different structure, same goal, a test passed.

I use a similar statement.

I understand you dislike mock tests, but many instructors use them as tool, benificial to their students. When you hear or experience stories like Ken's, I suggest you make the effort to verify their truth and remove the dishonest instructors to maintain the quality of your site.
    PM me if you want the name of this school.

Darragh,
    Don't get me wrong, as I said I use them but only where requested.

And yes I do think they are bull even when I do them by request.
    But if that is what the learner wants to do well I'll do it.

About the school; I got the name but feel free to send on name.
    There are no sponsors on my sites from that school.

About the school; I got the name but feel free to send on name.
    There are no sponsors on my sites from that school.
    Fair play. I think you removed them from the standard listing as well.

ADIDriving wrote: »
    Fair play. I think you removed them from the standard listing as well.

The standard listings are randomly selected from the instructors in the county (Only 10). This would mean that they could show again.
    SO I’m removing phone numbers from all standard listings.

It is done on DrivingInstructorsIreland.ie
    I’m working on DrivingInfo.ie and DrivingTestTips.ie

This will mean only sponsors phone numbers will show allowing me to have some control over the standard of instructors who I advertise as sponsors.

I want the users of my sites to get a good service from their instructors and I think this will help.

Thank you for your insight into this issue.

Advertisement