Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is our landlady right to do it this way?

Options
  • 12-12-2010 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

My fiance and I recently moved into a rented house that has mains gas from Flogas which is great. However, our landlady (who owns all six houses around us) gets the bill sent to her for all of us instead of us getting it ourselves and then she comes and does a reading from the individual meters and gives us a hand written scrap of paper stating how much we owe her. I have three issues with her doing it this way:
    1. We don't know how much gas we are actually using
    2. It is never done regularly so we never know when our next gas bill is coming
    3. She could be charging us over the odds for our gas and we have no way determine this.
    She charges us €2.50 per unit but, having never had gas heating before, I don't know if this is the going rate or if it fluctuates or anything like that.

Any help will be much appreciated. :confused:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I'm a bit confused by what you're describing, so to clear it up:

Do you have gas in your apartment i.e. going to your own boiler or gas fire or gas stove?

or, does the landlord have the gas boiler, and you get the heat from it for space and water heating?

Cause if it's the latter, then she is justified in charging you a consumption based service charge, however if it's the former, bord gais networks are the only people allowed to bill gas consumers, and she can't do it. Same as with electricity supplies - ESB Networks are the only body legally allowed to bill you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Lorlaa

Dardania wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused by what you're describing, so to clear it up:

Do you have gas in your apartment i.e. going to your own boiler or gas fire or gas stove?

or, does the landlord have the gas boiler, and you get the heat from it for space and water heating?

Cause if it's the latter, then she is justified in charging you a consumption based service charge, however if it's the former, bord gais networks are the only people allowed to bill gas consumers, and she can't do it. Same as with electricity supplies - ESB Networks are the only body legally allowed to bill you.

We have a house that has a boiler and gas fire and an independent gas meter out back

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

cant you guys take meter readings yourselves , theres nothing to stop you ?

Im not saying its right the way she is doing it but at least taking readings yourselves you can check that and the unit price and know your not getting ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭nick 56

If you can read the meter and see how meany units you have used. Check by phone or on the net how much it should cost per unit + standing charges and V.A.T.

Get hold of some one elses bill ( mum / dad ) to see how to do all this

Okay, so very straightforward...

Why don't you take on the account yourselves - why does the landlady want to do it? Is she charging a markup on it? Possibly to cover the cost of installation...? I wouldn't be impressed with it, and would call the gas company about it

• Advertisement

Im not saying its right the way she is doing it but at least taking readings yourselves you can check that and the unit price and know your not getting ripped off.

Yea we can, the problem with that is we're unsure of the price they actually charge per unit. So even if we do take a reading ourselves, we are still in the dark as to how much it should cost us.

Okay, so very straightforward...

Why don't you take on the account yourselves - why does the landlady want to do it? Is she charging a markup on it? Possibly to cover the cost of installation...? I wouldn't be impressed with it, and would call the gas company about it

Yea I think we're going to have to do this. That's the thing, we just don't know if she's charging mark up on it because we don't know how much it costs per unit. She hasn't mad us aware if she is. I am really unhappy about it being this way but my fiance isn't bothered and keeps encouraging me not to call them jus to keep the peace and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

Lorlaa wrote: »
    Yea I think we're going to have to do this. That's the thing, we just don't know if she's charging mark up on it because we don't know how much it costs per unit. She hasn't mad us aware if she is. I am really unhappy about it being this way but my fiance isn't bothered and keeps encouraging me not to call them jus to keep the peace and such.

you can find out from www.flogasnaturalgas.ie now much they're charging per unit - or you could call them and quote your meter number. You've a right to see the bills, at the very least.

Your fiancée certainly has a point in that if you query the billing structure you could quite likely piss off the landlady, and she may be more inclined to inspect more frequently or some other petty method of annoying you.

However, with that in mind, it's your right to be in control of your energy costs - she is currently charging you on a flat cost of €2.50 per unit - that figure sounds very round, and there's no mention of rental.

Is there anything in your lease about it? See under "services" here: http://www.threshold.ie/page.asp?menu=70&page=240 - the landlady is absorbing the monthly rental cost into the 2.50 - which is wrong

Is there anything in your lease about it?

For our lease/contract, we got a photocopied piece of paper to sign and she took it back off us. The whole thing has been very dodgey since the start.

• Advertisement

Dare I ask - rent book, and receipt for deposit? Landlady's PPS number for rent tax relief?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

If units are KWH as I imagine, you are getting a good deal

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/bord-gais-or-flogas-who-is-the-cheapest-for-gas.html

If units are KWH as I imagine, you are getting a good deal

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/bord-gais-or-flogas-who-is-the-cheapest-for-gas.html

That's saying 3.57cent per unit. she is charging us €2.50 per unit so I imagine that either she's ripping us off big time or not counting a unit as Kwh. Either way I still think I want an actual bill direct from the company.

Dare I ask - rent book, and receipt for deposit? Landlady's PPS number for rent tax relief?

All we have is a key! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭tina turner

i'd ask for a bill under my name. safer for herself as well,yes?
    i don't have rent book either,never had,but keeping receipts for the rent,even hand written.Best send them to account,so there's some kind of proof.keep your back covered :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

DM addict wrote: »
    you can find out from www.flogasnaturalgas.ie now much they're charging per unit - or you could call them and quote your meter number. You've a right to see the bills, at the very least.

If the meter/bill is in her name they will not give yiu any information

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Lorlaa wrote: »
    That's saying 3.57cent per unit. she is charging us €2.50 per unit so I imagine that either she's ripping us off big time or not counting a unit as Kwh. Either way I still think I want an actual bill direct from the company.

I read it as €3.57 per unit. As per heading "€ cent per Kwh"

i'd ask for a bill under my name. safer for herself as well,yes?
    i don't have rent book either,never had,but keeping receipts for the rent,even hand written.Best send them to account,so there's some kind of proof.keep your back covered :)

Yea true enough. I like the idea of having it official. Most of the scraps of paper have been lost due to moving and such but I guess finding a proper place to keep them and have proof of everything if it does all turn sour.

Pay rent by standing order so we have a record of that and i guess that's the most important thing.

amdublin wrote: »
    If the meter/bill is in her name they will not give yiu any information

this is true and as I said before we have no proof that we live here.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

The gas meter gives a reading in metres cubed.

To convert from metres cubed to kwh you multiply by 11.4198

Bord Gais are charging 3.932 cent per kwh currently.

To make it easier, each full unit on the metre is €0.449, i.e. about 45 cent. This is excluding VAT (13.5%) and a carbon tax of 0.00277 per Kwh. There is also a standing charge of 16.4 cent a day.

So including all vat and charges approx 50 cent per unit on the metre, plus 16 cent per day.

If you're being charged €2.50 per metre cubed you're being ripped off.

• Advertisement

That's very useful to know! :) Hopefully I can keep on track of it better with that info! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

Just to throw a cat amontg the pigeons if you go for the bill in your own name you will also have to come up with a bond usually Euro 400.00 for the Gas electricity etc. If you are disconnected for non payment which can happen with rented houses then the land lady will have another reconnection fee to pay as well.
    Ask her to see a copy of the bill for your meter

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

I would contact threshold if I were you.

Ask your landlady for a rent book, copy of your lease, copy of a bill.

If you have no proof that you live there then... well, you should probably get some. Otherwise you've no security.

Also what bertie1 said about needing a bond is true, if you've never had a bill in your name before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

She can rip you off as much as she likes. Effectively she is reselling you power. There is no law in Ireland to stop this. I had a landlord 6 years ago who started to charge me double the then ESB rate. Needless to say after 2 months of it I gave my notice. There is a law in the UK that prevents landlords from adding more than a certain percentage to tenants utility bills but there is nothing like that here. It is wrong, but not illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Just checked the Threshold page and while they do say that the landlord "should" set meters at the standard rate and not hike up the cost to cover the cost of the PSO obligation/standard charge or a little extra on the side for themselves, I dealt with them on this situation myself and at the time there was nothing I could do in law to stop my landlord from charging me whatever he liked for ESB.

I know there is a law in the UK that permits landlords to add up to a fixed rate to meters but here there is nothing. It could be worth raising with the CER as they surely should be able to regulate resale of electricity which is effectively what some landlords do.

Most landlords are not stupid enough to try to make extra money out of tenants in this way, but there are still some who get cash from the tenant for a bill in their own name, but then write it off as an expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

shoegirl wrote: »
    She can rip you off as much as she likes. Effectively she is reselling you power. There is no law in Ireland to stop this. I had a landlord 6 years ago who started to charge me double the then ESB rate. Needless to say after 2 months of it I gave my notice. There is a law in the UK that prevents landlords from adding more than a certain percentage to tenants utility bills but there is nothing like that here. It is wrong, but not illegal.

Im sure if the ESB were informed that there is someone reselling their power for a profit they wouldnt be too impressed...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

I'd definitely want the bill in my own name delivered to my door, you have every right to this. I wouldn't hand a cent over the the landlord without seeing the bills!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Lorlaa;

I don't see your problem. Just ask her for what you want. If she doesn't want to give it leave. There are lots of rental properties on the market at the moment. Its just to much hassel dealing with a landlady like this. It sounds very old school way of leasing properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Here's an excel sheet i made up to help us split the bills one month when we had different people in the house over the course of a 2 month bill.

Its set up for a Bord Gais bill so you might need to change the billing values. If you have the meter reading from when you moved in just read the meter again and it will tell you how much you've used to date and how much you should have paid **** remember unless you just had a bill and can read the meter it won't be precise. ***** it'll give you a rough idea of how much FLOGAS would have charged you to date. If you landlady's amounts are way higher she's increasing the rate. If its lower, well your on a winner ;)

Either way this is a very unusual situation, I've never come across it or any of my friends have seen it done this way - we've always seen the bills as proof or instead had them delivered to the house or changed into our names

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

We had a landlord do this once with ESB and oil. We were sure he was ripping us off so we asked him th change the bill to us; as we are on Welfare and getting the Household Benefit package he had to agree.

He was also not registered etc etc etc...

Advertisement