Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Applications and Websites...Whats the Cost?

Options
  • 12-12-2010 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello All,
    I hope someone can help me. I am stating a business that holds an online service at its core. The service will efectively enable users to find a physical place they are looking for by using a variety of search methods i.e. location, price, reviews etc etc. The search tools are effecytively the mechanism for them to interact with my database to find what they need.
    It will be very important that I canm provide this service on mobile devices. The user should be able to interact in the same way with the database and pulup profiles of the places they have searched for, the solution should then also offer themthe pportunity to contact the listing or indeed navigate a route to it using the google map feature.
    What I am wondering about is the answers to the following questions:
    1. Should I go down the Route of an application or a mobile website (which from what I can tel effectively works the same as an app)?
    2. if going for an Application should i get both Android and Ihone developed and how much do these applications cost (roughly)
    3. If going for the mobile website then do I also have to develop a site for both android and iphone and how much does it cost (Again...roughly).

I hope someone may be able to shed some light on this for me...many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'd suggest going with the mobile web site first - using a tool such as appcelerator would allow the effective single development for both Android and iPhone. The site should be built such that the UI is easily adapted for either web or mobile as it is concerned with presentation.

Then , assuming all went well, it should be entirely possible to easily extend to native apps on devices. The point of doing it this way is that you won't get it right first time anyway so doing native apps for the 2.0 version gives you both improvements from feedback and a selling point for paid apps for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

+1 for Jimmy

The key thing I find with developing a mobile app is that you need to understand how people will actually use it in the real world.

If you are only familiar with how the internet works, you're whole trail of thought needs to change.

By developing it from the mobile device back, you can improve the UI to a stage where you are entirely happy with how it functions and of course learn a lot about how you'd interact with it as part of the process.

Advertisement