Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Matt Wins The X Factor Tonight He Will Release a Biffy Clyro Song

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

ye are all banned for mentioning that ****e in this esteemed forum.

...well maybe not as i don't have a ban hammer but i will try and steal malice's and bring it down upon thee with furious intent!!!!!

i'm off to bed now as i am partially inebriated.......i will sleep with the sign of the hammer across my chest.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Still no harm in trying.

Even if Biffy got a decent spot it would make people more aware of the original artist, which would still be a fair enough achievement.

Also, Bird Is The Word is a decent contestant for No.1, it's got about 600,000 fans on the main fan page, currently.. I wouldn't rule them out yet!

if people want to be aware of Biffy, they'll be aware. why do you care if they're more popular or not? They seem to be doing pretty well for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

zuroph wrote: »
    if people want to be aware of Biffy, they'll be aware. why do you care if they're more popular or not? They seem to be doing pretty well for themselves.

Well I didn't care. In fact I preferred it when they were obscure and I seemed to be their only fan. :p

But now that one of their songs is inevitably going to become extremely popular under somebody else's name (however brief it may last), it just seems fair to try and get theirs up into the charts somewhere as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

but they're making money from this cover surely. if they wanted to chart, they'd try chart. Seriously, just listen to music and enjoy it, and dont worry about who else likes it, or how much money the writer has, or how popular they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

zuroph wrote: »
    but they're making money from this cover surely. if they wanted to chart, they'd try chart. Seriously, just listen to music and enjoy it, and dont worry about who else likes it, or how much money the writer has, or how popular they are.

Easier said then done...that's what Metallica fans have been arguing for the past 24 years since Master of Puppets was first released, and to a lesser extent, the Black album

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Who cares what song is being released. It is easily avoided. Funnily enough I am only hearing about this since everyone against it keeps going on about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭HBK

I think I'm going to be sick

First of all, and no disrespect to Biffy, but they've been taken as a struggling Indie band on the college circuit and almost thrown into festival headlines and multi million dollar record contracts in a few short years

Ehhhh...I think its close to 15 to be exact? Hardly a few short years!

I think the moral of the storey here is, why shud some guy walk in off the street, to an audition, then use someone elses song to get him to xmas number 1, when said band have been working their asses off touring non stop for the last 15years(only in the last 3 broke anywhere near mainstream)?

Besides if he is such a 'talent' why couldnt he write his own song(or an xfactor producer at least) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Why should Biffy Clyro be supported for the Christmas No. 1 (which itself is a ridiculous notion; why not an Easter no. 1 etc...?)? They've sold out. Was never a huge fan of theirs but do like the song. But now they've (or Simon Neil) has sold it. It'll peak high in the charts and make money for Cowell, a little for Matt Cardle and some more for Biffy Clyro. They've gotten their cut, the deal's been done. By trying to get them to no. 1 for Christmas, you're only paying them a second time and effectively rewarding them for selling out to Simon Bloody Cowell.

The song wasn't "taken" from them, it was basically sold by Simon Neil and/or the band. They didn't do it for the love of X-Factor, they did it for the money. Don't reward them even more for selling-out!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,051 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Biffy are set to make a lot of cash from x-factor, why gift them even more cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Biffy lost any right to respect when they let that song be used in a zac efron movie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Matt Cardle has a great voice. be an xfactor hater all u want but i think he does the song justice. original is better obviously tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

HBK wrote: »
    Ehhhh...I think its close to 15 to be exact? Hardly a few short years!

No I meant that they've been performing as a struggling band for 15 years and it's only been the last two or three that they had had any real mainstream success

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

Get a feckin grip lads.

Biffy didn't do all those years of hard work, trying to make it big, just to turn it down when it's offered to them.

Also, Simon Cowell owns their record label. I doubt Biffy had any say into who gets to cover their songs. Simon Cowell owns the rights to Leonard Cohen's Allelujiah, all RATM's songs and Biffy Clyro's. He's made a sh1t load out of both X-Factor and all these campaigns to have "anti-XFactor" songs get to number 1.

As I've said before, Simon Cowell is an evil Genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,051 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

gleep wrote: »
    Get a feckin grip lads.

Biffy didn't do all those years of hard work, trying to make it big, just to turn it down when it's offered to them.

Also, Simon Cowell owns their record label. I doubt Biffy had any say into who gets to cover their songs. Simon Cowell owns the rights to Leonard Cohen's Allelujiah, all RATM's songs and Biffy Clyro's. He's made a sh1t load out of both X-Factor and all these campaigns to have "anti-XFactor" songs get to number 1.

As I've said before, Simon Cowell is an evil Genius.

the bit about cohen and RATM is a myth is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

the bit about cohen and RATM is a myth is it not?
    I don't know about Leonard Cohen but Rage Against The Machine are signed to Epic Records who are owned by Sony. Cowell owns Syco Records which is also owned by Sony.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

well at least now you'll all be able to buy hipster glasses and tell everyone you were into biffy clyro before they sold out

and don't lie, that's all you're really after in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

How did Biffy Clyro sell out? They have no control over yer man singing their song.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Its rather Ironic that Cardle should be getting as much abuse for releasing that song.
    He's actually probably one of the most talented people to ever have won the show in my opinion.
    He can play a number of instruments, sings well and has released a very good album earlier this year with Seven Summer.
    http://unrealityshout.com/blogs/x-factor-check-out-matt-cardles-band-seven-summers
    I digress however, I get the point that some people are annoyed that he cover an already brilliant song. Most people I know had thought the song was an original one, if anything this will bring Biffy more into the popular music scene.

And I think thats the crux of the problem for many. It's "cool" (they wouldnt use that word) to listen to a "struggling band" that few listen to, once they go mainstream though, time to move onto the next small thing.
    I've seen a lot of people like that and its funny to be honest.

Forget about it, Cowell has the music industry wrapped up anyway, I dare say Biffy might even be on one of his labels at this stage anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

kind of agree with you kippy.

Thing is, the Biffy version is cheesy enough, but is way better than the version heard last night, which was just bland, and sounds like your usual boy band singing any song. They always seem to sing the same....!?!

It just goes to show what sheep most music listeners are. They need to be told what's cool, or what to buy. That Biffy song has showed up on tv loads of times already on shows, but nobody went out and bought it then...

I also think that it goes to show that a good song is a good song. It can go down well in a rock setting and it can go down well as a "pop" song, which is what it is even when Biffy do it. (a fine song too....)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 spokes

As far as I know an artist has no control over their songs been covered but do get royalties from them. Saw all about it on telly one night. Thats why theres so many of that feckin 'Unchained Melody'

• Advertisement

gleep wrote: »
    I doubt Biffy had any say into who gets to cover their songs. Simon Cowell owns the rights to Leonard Cohen's Allelujiah, all RATM's songs and Biffy Clyro's.

Exactly.

You might accuse Biffy of selling out, but I can guarantee you they had very little say in the whole process. All of this stuff of "rights and royalties" goes through the record companies nowadays. It's run past the band and there's not much they can do about it.

Biffy don't care about success. They don't care if they're playing to 200 people or 10,000 people a night. In fact, if you read up on them (interviews and what not), they block out the success, they don't let it get to them, because they know that if it did they may stop playing music for the sake of playing music. Why would they go out of their way to sell out? They didn't. The deal would have been run past them, and seeing as their record company owns the rights to their music, they get the final say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

The way it works is complicated.

If you write a song, you have the right to release the first recording of that song. You can let someone else record it first, but you don't have to. Once you have recorded the song, you have copyright over that recording that lets you dictate exactly how it's used, who uses it, and how much they pay.

But once you have released a version of the song, anyone can record their own version, and they do not need permission. You own publishing rights for the song, but anyone can get a mechanical licence for recording your song, without your permission, but they then must pay you royalties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

can't imagine Biffy wrote the song thinking "yeah, this'll end up on the X factor.".
    Wonder who picked the Biffy song for the x factor, and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I was actually quite happy when I heard this, annoyed that they're changing the title though. I love the Biffy Version and think your man Matt does a good cover. I'd rather a cover of a great song like Many of Horror was in the charts than The Climb.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

This thread confuses me? Why is it such a suprise that they would use a indie song? "Indie" is a load of ****e that kids decide they are when they go to college, nothing Indie about Biffy clyro or and other muck bands who think rock in roll is about dressing like a lesbian and making gay music. They are both as mainstream as each other the only difference being Indie is marketed at people who like to think they are different and Xfactor is just aimed at people who sit on the couch on a saturday night then piss off to 21s after.

Indie is no better than Xfactor, both are commercial whores, and to quote a Mr Blackie Lawless and his very apt song for all this ****e:

Welcome to the morgue biffy where the music comes to die, Il cut your throat just to stay alive.

kona wrote: »
    This thread confuses me? Why is it such a suprise that they would use a indie song? "Indie" is a load of ****e that kids decide they are when they go to college, nothing Indie about Biffy clyro or and other muck bands who think rock in roll is about dressing like a lesbian and making gay music. They are both as mainstream as each other the only difference being Indie is marketed at people who like to think they are different and Xfactor is just aimed at people who sit on the couch on a saturday night then piss off to 21s after.

Indie is no better than Xfactor, both are commercial whores, and to quote a Mr Blackie Lawless and his very apt song for all this ****e:

<snip>

Welcome to the morgue biffy where the music comes to die, Il cut your throat just to stay alive.

But Biffy aren't indie?

To even insinuate that Biffy are as mainstream as the XFactor is a bit cracked. Granted, Biffy are slowly creeping into the mainstream market, but they are no where near XFactor in that regard.

Most of your post is just hateful spite directed at Biffy & the Xfactor, you made no conclusive point whatsoever..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Yeah man fight the mainstream! :rolleyes:

Calm down and let people listen to what they want, jesus christ.

Yeah man fight the mainstream! :rolleyes:

Calm down and let people listen to what they want, jesus christ.

Couldnt give a **** mate , but tell my boss and every other poxy shop in the country to let people choose what they want, because im sick of listening to ****e music on repeat.

Biffy Clyro are Indie, and they suck and their fans look like twats and most of them are annoying pretentious lil ****s. Id rather listen to a fat bitch take a ****.

But Biffy aren't indie?

To even insinuate that Biffy are as mainstream as the XFactor is a bit cracked. Granted, Biffy are slowly creeping into the mainstream market, but they are no where near XFactor in that regard.

Most of your post is just hateful spite directed at Biffy & the Xfactor, you made no conclusive point whatsoever..

I did, Indie sucks just as much as Xfactor, both are mainstream, except one pretends not to be.

Any Indie I know likes Biffy Clyro, granted their name doesnt begin with "The" but still, id lump em in with the Propaganda brigade.

My point was Im not suprised they are covering Biffy Clyro, its clearly a mainstream song as they think they can make lots of $$, Im sure cowell agrees too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I did, Indie sucks just as much as Xfactor, both are mainstream, except one pretends not to be.

Any Indie I know likes Biffy Clyro, granted their name doesnt begin with "The" but still, id lump em in with the Propaganda brigade.

My point was Im not suprised they are covering Biffy Clyro, its clearly a mainstream song as they think they can make lots of $$, Im sure cowell agrees too.

Ah man,
    You're just the kind of person I was talking about in an earlier post.
    Classic example.

Advertisement