Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If YOU opened a cafe... (on a bus)?

Options
  • 12-12-2010 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭

To avoid asking a question which might wander too far off-topic in another thread:

Supposing, hypothetically, I were toying with the idea of opening some sort of cafe/eatery in Galway some time in the future - what would you folks regard as good value for money / worthwhile? Seeing as many of you have so many complaints about prices, poor quality, poor choice, even poor service etc - if you had the opportunity to offer some constructive advice and have some input - is there anything ye'd like to see?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Some stuff people would want wouldn't necessarily be moneymakers, or all doable in the same spot.
    A few things I'd like, but understand not always doable in one location would be:

Late night opening
    Organic and healthy choice
    Veggie choice
    Hangout space
    Coffee shop stage (for music or theatre or comedy or whatever)
    Cozy decor
    Cornflakes all day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Reasonable prices and a friendly service. Too many staff consider their job to be "to serve you, not to smile/make conversation". Personally I regard that as part of the job (and would so so if I worked there too).

Businesses are losing the friendly, personal touch to them. Too much "buy our food, eat it, then leave and make space for the next customer".

I know a lot of the complains on here are about catering in NUIG and it's a bit different in that environment, as they should be breaking even rather than looking to maximise profits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

The coffee shop stage is a very good idea.

I would love a coffee shop and bakery all in one. The smell of bread is extremely comforting and surely would invite people in.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you open a franchise of Maoz I promise to eat there at least twice a week for the foreseeable future :)

ilovesleep wrote: »
    The coffee shop stage is a very good idea.

I would love a coffee shop and bakery all in one. The smell of bread is extremely comforting and surely would invite people in.
    Or they could just pump an artificial smell in like they do at supermarkets :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

One thing i really miss (maybe it exists and i just have not found it?) is a place with a nice mix-your-own salad buffet table/counter with a good variety of salads, cheese, meats like chicken, prawns , ham etc which you pay by weight at the checkout. For eat in or takeaway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Ficheall wrote: »

Supposing, hypothetically, I were toying with the idea of opening some sort of cafe/eatery in Galway some time in the future - what would you folks regard as good value for money / worthwhile?

Go in Co-op with this poster.

Elevator wrote: »
    so it's official then?

I'm opening smoker friendly cafe in Galway in 2011

ok, cool, we will have to fundraise a bit and find a suitable space in town I suppose

I can try run some gigs down here and call in the local bands for their support

sports days etc are original, maybe some tablequizes too? movie nights playing classics

any other ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

all day breakfast.....that does consist of deep fat fried sausages

swe_fi wrote: »
    One thing i really miss (maybe it exists and i just have not found it?) is a place with a nice mix-your-own salad buffet table/counter with a good variety of salads, cheese, meats like chicken, prawns , ham etc which you pay by weight at the checkout. For eat in or takeaway.
    Dunnes and Tesco?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

Stripper poles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

rivalius13 wrote: »
    Stripper poles.

You read my mind. After 11pm things get a little blue

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

Wompa1 wrote: »
    You read my mind. After 11pm things get a little blue

I'd prefer less midgets and maybe have a specific night for goats though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

swe_fi wrote: »

Yeah I would like this too, there's very few places that offer something like this and those that do have barely any options available. And subway charge you extra not to eat the bread. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭sataction

A large Americano for €2

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Cheers for all the replies - you'll forgive me for not going through the rigmarole of clicking all the "thanks" buttons. Except for biko, of course. Vegetarian. Jeez...

Any thoughts on what would be acceptable price-wise?

rivalius - do you mean for food or entertainment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

I know it's not real :( but I love the look of the cafe in Fraiser. Cool name too: Cafe Nervosa.

I think people respond well to simplicity in a menu. I like sections like 'quick bites', 'the whole shebang' (for larger meals etc). If you have snacky things for under a fiver, or always have a 'deal of the day' combo (Zatsuma used to do it with their crepe and a cuppa/coffee daily special).

It really depends what the vibe of the place is. Java's is an exception, as they have stuff all over the map on their menu, but my biggest criticism would be their menu layout. You can get great deals in there, but they're hard to spot.

If my veggie and meat pals go to eat, it's usually to a place that has a couple of *decent* veggie options, no a cr*p lasagne or something. Adding a couple of good daily veg options will increase your non veg traffic too.

8 Museum has prices a tad higher, but the quality of the grub is excellent, locally sourced and a lot of organic. A good portion of people will pay for quality. Some want cheap and cheerful, but if you have specials, you can maybe do both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Dunnes and Tesco?

Its in Dunnes. Dont know about Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Do ten things and do them REALLY well. Call your cafe 'TeN' or something contrived like that. Don't fall into the same dull routine of buying sub-assemblies from Carrolls or Musgrave and just finishing off in the cafe. Buy decent ingredients and use skill to sell them at a reasonable price. I will still choose to eat cake in Goya because the coffee is always perfect and the cake is top notch - to hell with the recession

I will walk out of any place that has bought-in scones or a pod adapter on their coffee machines.

'cptr (v. fussy btw...)

Late night opening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 galwayabc

It depends on where your opening it, ie is it mostly shoppers, office workers students etc your going to be catering for. also you need to check out other cafes pubs restaurants nearby, find out which ones are busy & which ones aren't so you can see what works in that area. check prices and try being slightly cheaper. If you can be one of the cheapest in the area and you have good food and service(friendly chatty floor staff is a must) then you should be on to a winner

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Ficheall wrote: »
    Seeing as many of you have so many complaints about prices, poor quality, poor choice, even poor service etc - if you had the opportunity to offer some constructive advice and have some input - is there anything ye'd like to see?

'Even poor service' should be at the front of your list. I moved to Galway in 1997 and the difference in service across all boards of business since then is mind-boggling. It's so poor in so many places I wonder how the managers over these staff made it to a management level in the first place. Absolutely clueless and rude although perhaps as a people we allowed the standards to drop and just shrugged the shoulders and said nothing (I know I have at times).

In my own experience having top notch staff is a must. Primarily because of the service and friendliness afforded to the customer - which will bring them back and also have them refer you - but will also allow your customers to feel comfortable in approaching your staff and yourself with suggestions on how your business could be better! Take those opinions and comments on board and they can be a great asset to your business growing (or even surviving). Best of luck!

An excellent coffee will go a long way. Agree about good staff, and get staff with barista knowledge, ones who know the temperature of milk in a latte, the difference in 'pulls' for espresso etc. Sounds a bit poncy but a really well made coffee is really appreciated now that we've been exposed to good ones when we've travelled.

Little things like quirky granny teapots are good too. Giving people the feeling of a 'local' in a cafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Powerpoints accessible from every table, or at least a reasonable proportion.

Seriously. I've been doing a bit of consulting, and I'm office-free so generally meet people in cafes. I'm happy to bring my own mobile broadband, but worrying about power is a pain, and sometime cuts meetings (=coffee buying time) short.

(You asked)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭seabre

When shopping or in town - I'd love to be able to pop in somewhere and get home cooked traditional food. Things like big pots of well made Irish Stew, Currys, Shepherds pie and HOME MADE CHIPS!!!!

Surely food like this would be easy to make a profit on without charging your customer a fortune for them. Also I like the Bakery idea that was mentioned earlier with cakes etc baked on site.

Basically you could do whatever you like , but it will only be successful if its done right , and by that I mean better than anyone else is doing it!

Good luck!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It would make me avoid it, but there is always a market for places that encourage parents with kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

I'm a cheapskate.

I want a free newspaper to read with my coffee. Sometimes you go into a bar or restaurant and you are unsure if the newspapers/magazines belong to the customers or the staff.

The type of yokes below stop that. They also mean that one person/staff member can't hog all the papers and pretend they are theirs, or worse still, walk put the door with them. They should be hung in an area in full view and freely accessable to all customers.

By the way, you don't need to put the whole newspaper on one of them. Some people are only interested in one section, sport, business etc.

http://www.newsgripper.com/acatalog/EUROPEAN_STYLE.html

Also, knowing that there is a free paper may also entice me back at some later stage as I may want to peruse a paper that I wouldn't under any circumstances buy, i.e. The Indo.

What about a free refill especially during slack periods. Very few people as far as I know will buy a second cup of tea or coffee, but the cost to you will only be a few cents. You have already taken as much as you can off them. The first thing you do before deciding which place to get coffee in is to look at how many people are already there. The more that are there, the better the buzz and the atmosphere and the more likely that new customers will try it

My tuppence worth anyway. Good luck with the project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭hanns.s

choice, value for money, plenty of seating. Veggie here and I can never eat anything like pastry, scones etc cause I don't know if there are suitable - lil signs up to say and I'd try something different. Value for money - not paying the same price as someone who has a half plate of meat. Plenty of seating and room, it turns me off to see a place wedged and no comfort. Oh and for families - could places sell 2L drinks for the kids, not pay €1+ for each soda they are buying. Friendly staff - once I asked a person to change their gloves when making a sambo for me, they had prepared a meat sambo just before - I found a lump of meat in it - will never ever eat there again, even said it to friends and they are meat eaters they have refused to go in since! ..........think that covers it

I'm with JustMary on this one - the café should have WiFi access and a substantial amount of power sockets, so people can plug in their laptops. Either that or have a dedicated section where people can go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

Somewhere comfy...old armchairs, mismatched furniture etc. I'm sick of the sterile no personality/atmosphere cafes. And music....decent music...not the radio or some **** mix cd, a good eclectic mix. If you don't know your music find someone who does ;)
    In terms of food...doesn't have to be fancy, just fresh and done well. Menu can be small and basic, with daily specials for being adventurous.
    And the tea/coffee refill someone posted above is a great idea and would definitely encourage me to return somewhere. Well that and friendly staff...they make all the difference too.
    Good luck with it dude :)

Advertisement