Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If YOU opened a cafe... (on a bus)?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

Traffic in Galway will mean that it will generally be stationary, which will probably help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

All of this!

Tis true, so many cafés in Galway yet hardly an interesting one among them.

I always thought somewhere like Mono would do really well in Galway. I'd do it myself if only I had the cash :(

I really like Stereo in Glasgow too, think the food is a bit better. Mono kind of has that scruffy thing going for it though, whereas Stereo would be a bit 'tidier' which is not the right word at all but anyway.

I never got round to going to Stereo, it's kinda the 'sister site' to Mono, isn't it. Is it good? Mono's vegan cheesecake was the best I've ever eaten, and I'm not vegan.
    I used to love going to the 13th Note for food with friends then off to mono to drink lovely cider, snack & hang about after checking out the shops next door when I was in Glasgow. If there was one it of Glasgow I could pick up & transport to Edinburgh, or now Galway, that would be it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

JustMary wrote: »
    My comments were based on actual conversations, admittedly two and a half years ago, between me, a couple of their interns and two other (older) friends of mine from home (not the US) who've worked in similar situations elsewhere. Basically the interns were comparing notes with people who understood, so were perhaps more willing to tell the whole story.

At that time, a major challenge was that the rules said they couldn't go to places that sold alcohol, which meant that Java was the ONLY place they could go at night, and even that was stretching things 'cos it did sell wine.

Maybe that's been relaxed since: their current intern handbook (http://www.foundationinchrist.org/docs/Policies%202005.pdf) just says they can't drink alcohol or smoke, nothing about avoiding places where other people are doing so.

I was surprised by how tough the rules were, esp regarding the travel, so did a bit of googling about the organisation. The history section of their website is toned down a lot now, but when I looked then it was very clear about how the founders believed they were called to Galway to address the alcohol and casual-sex culture here.

Ok, there was a point a few years ago where the rules were a lot tighter, because at some stage someone had abused the rules and was caught being a very naughty person. That hand book must be old, because I was at dinner with the owner and several staff not long ago and she had no issue with some of them having a beer with their meal...

The travel rule must be pretty old, I've known the staff there for a few years now, even before I moved to Galway, and I've gone places with them in groups and one-on-one more times than I could even try and count.

But yeah, those rules def don't apply at all any more...
    They still aren't allowed get drunk. But that's because they agree to live to a standard when they come here, and in reality, if they are genuine in the intentions for coming here, it shouldn't be an issue either way.

Advertisement