Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

screening for garden

Options
  • 12-12-2010 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭

thinking about getting some of that bamboo or willow screening for garden. anywhere in town selling it? which is best the willow or bamboo?:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

not sure where in cw ya might get it, could try woodies or home base, i wouldn't use bamboo as it will only last a year or two, willow will last good few years but will cost little bit more, but wort the money

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

Willow would be best.

Not seen it around Carlow shops but someone told me they bought some in Bagnelstown Hardware recently. think it might have been Walshes Home Value but not sure..

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Jacques Thelad

Just be aware that willow may attract vast numbers of wasps in summer. If you have kids...?

By the way, this is growing willow I'm referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 pholland

think i saw some rolls of screening in morgans garden centre out in quinagh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭mirror mirror

saw some camoflauge netting in that shop on hacketstown road ,would i be mad or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 pholland

whatever gives you the best privacy and goes up and stays there is your best option.. and if you have neighbours that are not the nicest dont worry what it looks like from there side.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

tombull82 wrote: »
    Willow would be best.

Not seen it around Carlow shops but someone told me they bought some in Bagnelstown Hardware recently. think it might have been Walshes Home Value but not sure..

Connolly's hardware definitely have a few rolls of reed and bamboo screening, 2m high, didn't see any willow though. You could also try the Aboretum in Leighlinbridge or other garden centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hbonbr

I want a growing screen, trees or shrubs to be 10 ft tall and evergreen. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭oscillating wildely

Bamboo would be a quick and pleasant option but make sure you buy the clump forming variety. They need a bit of TLC in the first year but after that should be fine, but any hedge or tree will require same.

Additional features of bamboo are not only are they relatively maintenance free after the first year but you also get that "rustling" sound which I find quite calming.

As to rolls of screening Woodies have in stock 1m high screening but if looking for 2m then a bit harder to find; I bought all the 2m high stock in Woodies in Carlow but still needed one extra roll and ended up having to go to Woodies, Naas for it.

Bamboo would be a quick and pleasant option but make sure you buy the clump forming variety. They need a bit of TLC in the first year but after that should be fine, but any hedge or tree will require same.

Additional features of bamboo are not only are they relatively maintenance free after the first year but you also get that "rustling" sound which I find quite calming.

As to rolls of screening Woodies have in stock 1m high screening but if looking for 2m then a bit harder to find; I bought all the 2m high stock in Woodies in Carlow but still needed one extra roll and ended up having to go to Woodies, Naas for it.
    That's an interesting suggestion! I love the soothing sounds from my pond feature, also, as you say, bamboo is fairly maintenance free, which is important as I'm not getting any younger.

I'll see what's available, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

As Oscillating Wildely mentioned make sure to go for the clump variety, some other varieties can be invasive.

I have heard bamboo horror stories, can the clumping ones be trusted?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭oscillating wildely

I'm not allowed to post weblinks but if you look up the RHS page and bamboos it lists the clumping varieties and the maintenance required.

Thanks, I managed to look that up. I am scared though, I think I will go for prunus lusitanicus for me screen. Its not as woody as the laurocerus, I am assured.

Advertisement