Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gloves...

• 12-12-2010 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

.......with the current baltic conditions prevailing, what gloves if any are recommended for photography? I have looked for the Lowepro photographic gloves though overpriced they seem to be the only photography specific gloves around, they seem to be unavailable. How to keep the fingers flexible when faced with sub-zero weather (and worse to come I believe)

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭stabo

Snickers and cat workwear do great gloves that do the trick, 10/15 euro in most hardware shops.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I bought a pair of wool fingertipless gloves on the Southbank for £4. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

5uspect wrote: »
    I bought a pair of wool fingertipless gloves on the Southbank for £4. :)

I have fingerless gloves, but find it is the tips of my fingers that suffer the most from the cold, they turn blue :( so was hoping for something with fingers. thanks anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

I bought a pair of Lowepro gloves a few years ago - they're fine but not great. Not that warm but do let you use buttons on the camera and stuff. I don't think I'd recommend them, and they were expensive too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

and look for climbing gloves.

Light flexible with good grip and warm. I use them all the time and no problem with dials and buttons.

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

I got a pair of neoprene fishing gloves in an emergency before, when I didn't have my good neoprene ones with me. Having been using them this past week every morning getting my car sorted before going to work. You should get them cheap enough in Argos. Theyhave a small slit in the index finger and thumb for when you need more precision touch. If you are going to be out and about a lot, look for chemical hand warmers to stick inside the glove too. Toasty!

I have two pairs of cyclists gloves I got in Argos before;

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3334209/Trail/searchtext%3EBIKE+GLOVES.htm

And fingerless;

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/0361024/Trail/searchtext%3EGLOVES.htm

And I carry them both. I find the full finger gloves are great for cold weather. They aren't that thick, so your hands wont be roasting in them and get sticky and sweaty, but they'll still be warmer than if they were out in the open.

I tend to wear them walking about the place, and then switch to the fingerless ones when I'm actually using the camera. You could use the camera with the full fingered gloves, but I generally don't like handling things without my actual fingers.

The full fingered gloves have a grippy-ish texture on the fingers/palm though, so you shouldn't let anything slip.

They'd be worth at least trying on if you've an argos nearby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

If you want to spend the cash and shipping there are these: http://www.freehands.com/categories/Collections/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I've seen Outdoorsie shops selling fingerless gloves with a mitten type flap/hood you can pull over your fingers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

How about a pair of twittens?

http://twittens.ca/

:D

I bought bog standard gloves in Dunne's but they're useless when using the camera. It's possible, but too fiddly, you end up taking them off out of frustration.

That is weird, just went to check Amazon uk and it's just been hit by the Wikileaks crowd :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Hunting/shooting gloves are your best bet.

The fingertips are removable, they're warm, they're not too sweaty, but they're not cheap either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

They sound like twittens [see above] - someone's just marketed them as gloves for gadgets and will probably make a killing.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Trigger76

Ive a pair of CAT workwear gloves would recommend them , warm without the yeti fingers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I got a pair of running gloves in Heatons/Sports World for €5. Cant think of the brand, begins with a K. They aren't too bad and allow for good finger movement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I've a pair of Lowe Alpine gloves that I got in great outdoors a couple of weeks ago that I find great -they aren't fingerless, but are thin enough to be able to use my D300 with without problems, and are nice and warm (I was using them in Krakow in -16ish weather and was toasty warm. This is them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

I got a pair of these in the Tog24 shop in Kildare Village, €24 there, first time I've bought something in a B&M shop that much cheaper than the internet:), any way I liked them enough that I went back and bought a second pair for more general use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

You could try golf winter gloves. Good fit and good tactile feedback. Look for the 'Footjoy' or 'Srixon' brands but most golf shops will have cheaper generic brands available too.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

If you want to spend the cash and shipping there are these: http://www.freehands.com/categories/Collections/

These have given me a good idea :D easily done with fleece gloves that dont fray, I shall get my scissors and needle and thread out and make a prototype today, watch this space :D:D thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

North Face e-tip gloves

/end thread

Advertisement