Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quickest Route from Galway-Tralee.

Options
  • 12-12-2010 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭

What would be the best way to get From Galway to Tralee.
    I went to Limerick first and then towards Tralee but that was just too long...
    Would it be faster if I get the ferry from Kilrush?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I find with the new roads and motorways going straight from Galway to Tralee through Limerick (especially with new tunnel), Adare, Newcastlewest etc is the best/simplest/easiest way, going by the ferry is a bit quicker if I recall correctly but I hate driving the crappy roads to get to and from it at either side, and I don't like the paying and waiting for it, too much hassle.

If you want to make it quicker again you can take the shortcut outside Abbeyfeale (Knocknagoshel turn) which cuts out Castleisland, takes another bit off the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Buy a less rusty racer! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

The ferry definitely isn't faster, in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

The quickest and most safest route is via the N18/M18/N18/M20/N21

Limerick City is now bypassed with the N18 tunnel (€1.80 toll) and the M18 has been extended to Gort from the Ennis bypass. Therefore around two thirds of the Galway to Limerick road route is dualed. Also Castleisland being bypassed on the N21 helps too.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

tech2 wrote: »
    The quickest and most safest route is via the N18/M18/N18/M20/N21

Limerick City is now bypassed with the N18 tunnel (€1.80 toll) and the M18 has been extended to Gort from the Ennis bypass. Therefore around two thirds of the Galway to Limerick road route is dualed. Also Castleisland being bypassed on the N21 helps too.

I took the same route.
    Will the Motor Way stretch from Galway to Limerick in the future?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

I took the same route.
    Will the Motor Way stretch from Galway to Limerick in the future?

No.
    The Shannon-Limerick city section can never be motorway.
    It is N18 (National road classification).
    However, the Gort - Tuam motorway is scheduled to commence construction in 2011. This will intersect with the existing Galway - Dublin motorway.
    more information: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055673984
    I understand that there is a 2 to 3 year construction timeline.

Advertisement