Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intermittent broadband connection

• 12-12-2010 8:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭

Intermittent broadband connection

Hi there,
    Hoping you guys can help? I finally got broadband at home (Eircom), but can't get it to work satisfactorily. I can connect no problem, but after 1 or 2 mins, the connection goes. I reconnect and I have it again for another 2 mins and then the connection goes again.

I have spent hours on the phone to Tech Support and they don't really know what's happening. They sent me a new modem in case the old one was faulty, but problem remains.

I've now requested an Eircom engineer test the phone line.

Last night as I was charging the laptop, I had uninterrupted connection. Is this a coincidence or what?

Any advice please

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

39steps wrote: »
    .... after 1 or 2 mins, the connection goes. I reconnect and I have it again for another 2 mins and then the connection goes again.

What do you mean by "the connection goes"? Do you mean the wireless connection or the Internet connection? When the connection "goes", are you able to connect to the Eircom router at http://192.168.1.254?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭39steps

Clearly I'm not computer whizz as I don't the know difference in your question! However, am waiting for Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Is it a wireless connection from the laptop to the modem, or do you connect with a cable? If wireless, then use the cable and see how it goes.

If it's wireless, then the problem is most likely not the broadband or the line, and getting an engineer out will be a waste of time, and possibly money if they decide to charge you.

It's a wireless connection.
    If I use cable it works perfectly, but I can't work in the hallway.
    Is there anything in the issue it working wirelessly if laptop is charging?
    I'm beyond frustrated at this point and Eircom Tech Support have been trying to sort it out for over a month to no avail. I'm at the point of cancellation and trying with another provider.

It's a wireless connection.
    If I use cable it works perfectly, but I can't work in the hallway.
    Is there anything in the issue it working wirelessly if laptop is charging?
    I'm beyond frustrated at this point and Eircom Tech Support have been trying to sort it out for over a month to no avail. I'm at the point of cancellation and trying with another provider.

So the problem is definitely only with the wireless connection between your laptop and the wireless router. It has nothing to do with your broadband Internet. If it always work okay when the laptop is charging then there must be some sort of power-saving "feature" enabled which is disabling the wireless on your laptop when the laptop is running on battery. What version of Windows are you running. We should be able to turn off the power-saving and that should sort you out.

• Advertisement

Laptop brand new and running Windows 7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If your car broke down because it ran out of petrol, would you bring it back to Ford and demand they fix it? No, because it's nothing to do with them.

Wireless suffers interference and range problems, none of which is eircom's fault or responsibility, and they can't do anything about it. Stop wasting their time.

If it works fine when on charge, then I'd say the problem could be with the laptop power. When running on battery, it may be that the wireless adapter is under powered, and losing range, or is more susceptible to interference due to the lower power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Or power saving/sleep is enabled on the WiFi/Wireless and activates when on Battery. That always makes for unreliable connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

You also need to check interference. Depending on what electrical appliances might be in the effected areas you might be getting signal degradation because of something else plugged in near there.

Microwaves, cordless phones, speakers, there are lots that can screw up your wireless signals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

CptSternn wrote: »
    You also need to check interference.

Microwaves, cordless phones, speakers, there are lots that can screw up your wireless signals.

Or somebody else using the same wifi channel as the op

• Advertisement

Laptop brand new and running Windows 7

Try this so for starters :

To turn power management features on or off on a network adapter :

1. Open Network and Sharing Center (click the Start button, type Network and Sharing in the Start Search box, and press Enter).
    2. Click the Change adapter settings link in the upper left of the navigation pane.
    3. Right click the network connection you want to enable/disable power management support on and click Properties.
    4. Click Configure.
    5. On the Power Management tab, check or clear the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power check box.
    * When checked, power management is enabled on the network adapter.
    * When cleared, power management is disabled on the network adapter.

Thanks so much for last advice. This has worked and I successfully sending this email from home. I really appreciate your time and knowledge.

Best wishes,
    39steps:D

Advertisement