Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV - Free to Air or Saor air

Options
  • 12-12-2010 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi

Currently have 4 channels having lost the BBC channels when chorus closed down. Is the Free to Air as good as the SKY? or what other options available. Are there down sides to getting the free to air which i understand means a small box and a satellite dish.

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

When did Chorus close? They and NTL were taken over by UPC and rebranded as UPC but it's still the same business and they're still transmitting, BBC included.

Free to air satellite such as freesat can receive many of the non-subscription channels you get on SKY but you won't get SKY or any of the other subscription channels such as Discovery. In fact many of the channels on SKY are already free-to-air, such as BBC and ITV.

Saorview is the new Irish Digital Terrestrial TV service which will replace analogue broadcasts, but that doesn't go live until spring 2011 and will only show Irish channels.

You can get more info over on the Cable / Digital TV forum

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭emilymch1

Thanks for your help. Not Chorus - I should have said South Coast - i am living in cork and they were supplying us with BBC 1 & 2 and about two other stations. If I go with Free to air i will continue to get the irish stations, RTE 1,2 3 and TG4. However, when the new Irish Digital Terrestrial TV service is implemented in 2011 will that mean replacing the aerial or anything like that, do you know?

thanks again, am not very technical!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Only if you have a VHF antenna , probably not if you have a UHF antenna.
    http://www.saorview.ie/receiving.html.
    Aerial
    The majority of homes will receive SAORVIEW through an existing aerial (either rooftop or set-top (rabbit's ears). In most cases, you do not need a new aerial.

For more information regarding receiving the SAORVIEW signal please download this information booklet from RTÉ Transmission Network Limited (RTÉNL).
    Folks on the other forum are better placed at answering techie questions

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If you have 4 channels you have a 'modern' UHF aerial and Digital is broadcast on UHF. Things are hopeful.

You need a satellite dish to pick up UK TV though, all free bar the box and dish. Install cost around €150-250 nowadays for the UK stuff.

As for the Irish channels that you should be able to pick up, depends where you are in Cork :)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭emilymch1

Thanks for all the info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

see
    www.saortv.info
    and
    Freesat is the UK service you want. Make sure you buy a real "Freesat HD" set-box or PVR. Not a "generic" FTA satellite recevier. Even if you don't have an HDTV, the "Freesat HD" receiver box or PVR(dual tuners with disk recording) gives a much better picture on some channels see http://www.techtir.ie/saortv

Advertisement