Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sudden growth of an elderly dogs dewclaw?

• 12-12-2010 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

I went home to my parents today. They have two aging dogs, one a springer spaniel who has multiple dewclaws on his back legs(2 on one leg 3 on the other??he was a stray). They always grow, so I always check them and cut them when I'm home.

Anyway, their other dog some sort of alsation breed. He is 11 and looks 16. He has bad back legs and I have noticed recenty that he isn't wearing his claws down as he doesn't move much anymore. So I have been checking them over the last few months. He has normal dewclaws, they don't grow and he has only the normal amount. But today one of the dewclaws on his front leg had grown about an inch in a curve in a month.

Anyone know if I should be worried about anything.

:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

If it was me, i wouldnt be worried. For whatever reason its a faster growing (or least worn down of them all) nail so i wouldnt be concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

It's just one of those things just a matter of keeping an eye on them them we all go a bit wonky and out of sync in our old age lol.
    As long as the claw area doesn't look sore or anything shouldn't be worried about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

You do need to keep an eye on this, as you well know that claw will grow into the skin and is very prone to infection if allowed to pierce the skin. Dogs' lower legs are on the ground picking up every type of infection possible, distemper is a real danger, even with a vaccinated dog.

This is why I am a proponent of removal of these at puppy stage, the claw is difficult to clip if it ever reaches a stage like this and normal weardown, like for other nails, cannot be relied upon.

Advertisement