Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turnaround for porting Meteor > Three and back again...

Options
  • 12-12-2010 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Anyone know how quickly this can be done? I did a search but couldn't find much info.

Myself and the missus are both on Meteor billpay, and our contracts are up. Meteor are now offering the HTC Desire for €150 and the 'Smart 30' plan for €25 a month - as long as (i) you order online, and (ii) you're a new customer.

So the plan is to port to 3 (or some other network) and then straight back again. I'm keen to know whether this could all be done in time for Chrimbo. Any ideas? All help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

IIRC you need to be ported off the networks for 30 days before they class you as a new customer porting back

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭kirving

If you just went for a second bill pay sim, could you avail of it? Or do you have to actually move to meteor from O2?

I'm sure similar deals will still be available after Christmas, so if you dont need to do it soon(xmas presents) you'd probably be fine waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

Walkman wrote: »
    IIRC you need to be ported off the networks for 30 days before they class you as a new customer porting back

Correct :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,229 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Have you good 3G coverage where your are with meteor? You'll need it with a desire.
    The current desire is not the original desire either, there have been a few changes but it's still a good phone.

The discount is only for 12mts and what your entering is an 18mt contract, just be aware your bills will go up after the promotional period is over.

It's a good deal for 25pm for the 12mts just make sure you have good 3G coverage or you'll be cussing at the phone in a while.

A lot of these online offers not just meteor's attract deposits especially on high end phones like the desire, you may get hit with one when you try and move back. So it could be 149 each for both desires with a 300 deposit on each.

Not trying to put you off it's a good deal. It's not bad at 30pm either.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Sharp

I Posted in another thread but might be useful.

As a Meteor pay as you go customer, told by customer care current meteor customers have to sign up in shop and loose out on the online offers (No Free calls and texts and an extra €5 euro a month)

Asked If I get another providers free sim (which Tesco were handing out last week)

Port over with the tesco number online and when it arrives go into a shop and change from the Tesco number over to my old meteor number, informed that would work fine. No need to switch for a month

Waiting for the contract to be sent out at the mo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭seven stars

Thanks for the help everyone. I explained our predicament to Meteor, and they agreed to give us the online deal without having to go through the rigmarole of changing networks, which I thought was a very fair and commonsense approach from them.

@drunkmoney - we're in the Dublin area, so we should have reasonable coverage, I'm hoping. The way I'm reading it, our bills should only go from €25 to €30 after 12 months, which isn't a massive jump. I wasn't aware that we'd be getting a different version of the handset though. That's one part of it I didn't look into too much, so maybe I need to research this more?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

The new version of the Desire is practically the same as the old one, its only the screen that has changed (SLCD instead of OLED)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Walkman wrote: »
    Gooch2k4 wrote: »
    Correct :)

Not true, for me anyway. Gave my €10 lite it's months notice to end. Once it ended I transferred that day to o2 and applied back to Meteor online that evening.

All went through grand, even used my Meteor bill as proof of address. ;)

A lot of these online offers not just meteor's attract deposits especially on high end phones like the desire, you may get hit with one when you try and move back. So it could be 149 each for both desires with a 300 deposit on each.

I got the desire on the €25/mth 18 month contract without having to pay any deposit. Jobless student with only 2months with Meteor bill pay previously on the €10 lite deal. Was prepaid before and spending over €25/mth so maybe they looked that up or something.
    Thanks for the help everyone. I explained our predicament to Meteor, and they agreed to give us the online deal without having to go through the rigmarole of changing networks, which I thought was a very fair and commonsense approach from them.

When I went through to the retention department they wouldn't offer me this! He offered to keep Free Meteor-to-Meteor txts but for €30 per month (in-store price) instead of €25 online price. Figured that'll add up to €90 over the contract so worth porting over and back.

Advertisement