Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some great info on Rush & Lusk

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Possibly been posted already, but well worth a look anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwazPN3vTWE

Also, look out for part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKqxiIdXEIU&feature=fvw

Very interesting post, good to see an oral history project like that especially with the increasing interest in social history. If you edit your post you can insert the youtube vids directly into your post.

Click on the Youtube icon and the youtube youtube in brackets should pop up in your post

Then copy and paste the code after the equals sign in the above link addresses, so for your first link copy and paste rwazPN3vTWE between . Follow the procedure for each vid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Done, thanks Corsendonk ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It was really interesting hearing about the Old IRA activities in the area. My great-grandfather used to own what’s known as The Doctor’s House in Lusk. He was a cattle farmer & his brothers were butchers – one ran the abbatoir in Lusk & the other was a retail butcher in Blanchardstown. They were all heavily involved in the Old IRA.

My grandfather & his brother (from when they were around 12-13 years old) used to smuggle weapons from Lusk to Blanch on the old butchers' bikes. Side arms & ammo would be hidden in parcels of meat & offal in the basket on the front of the bikes. Carbines were strapped to the crossbar & hidden under whole sides of meat. The two lads would cycle from Lusk to Blanch most weekdays laden down with meat & weapons. No wonder that they went on to be champion cyclists. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Hill Billy wrote: »
    It was really interesting hearing about the Old IRA activities in the area. My great-grandfather used to own what’s known as The Doctor’s House in Lusk. He was a cattle farmer & his brothers were butchers – one ran the abbatoir in Lusk & the other was a retail butcher in Blanchardstown. They were all heavily involved in the Old IRA.

My grandfather & his brother (from when they were around 12-13 years old) used to smuggle weapons from Lusk to Blanch on the old butchers' bikes. Side arms & ammo would be hidden in parcels of meat & offal in the basket on the front of the bikes. Carbines were strapped to the crossbar & hidden under whole sides of meat. The two lads would cycle from Lusk to Blanch most weekdays laden down with meat & weapons. No wonder that they went on to be champion cyclists. :)

Reminds me of the great Gino Bartalli.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

And it is quite possible that Willie & Paddy raced with him as they raced at the highest levels in those years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement