Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coloured Caulk / Silicone

• 12-12-2010 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

I need to buy a load of this stuff does anyone know where I can get a range of colours in bulk, I know B&Q etc do a limited selection

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Sounds like a question for Joey the Lips.

He may be able to help you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

cram1971 wrote: »
    I need to buy a load of this stuff does anyone know where I can get a range of colours in bulk, I know B&Q etc do a limited selection

Builders Providers like Grange,Newtown,Heaton Buckleys,Goodwins,Chadwicks,Brooks etc etc.;)

Brooks do white caulk, but not so sure about the coloured aspect of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭cram1971

paddy147 wrote: »
    Builders Providers like Grange,Newtown,Heaton Buckleys,Goodwins,Chadwicks,Brooks etc etc.;)

All have poor selections

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭delonglad

All have poor selections

what colour are you looking for?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

tile shops do it

delonglad wrote: »
    what colour are you looking for?

Trying to get something close to Steamed Beech The red hue is difficult to match

White, Brown and Magnolia are the 3 main colours, you can get wood fillers in a few different shades. Fleetwood and Rawlplug are both big suppliers to hardware stores around the country. A painful and long way of matching your colour would be to use sawdust from the timber being used and mix it up with some woodglue, apply heavily and then sand down when its almost 100% dry. Much closer finish than caulk.

also try http://www.absealants.co.uk/category_0-55_Coloured-Silicones.htm they seem to do colours to order. (silicones though)

delonglad wrote: »
    also try http://www.absealants.co.uk/category_0-55_Coloured-Silicones.htm they seem to do colours to order. (silicones though)

Thanks this is what I was looking for I have about 300 meters of skirtings and Architraves I want to fill and seal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Thanks this is what I was looking for I have about 300 meters of skirtings and Architraves I want to fill and seal

Do NOT use silicone of any kind for skirting and architraves.;)

Paint or varnish will not take to it.

just use caulk and paint it.

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Do NOT use silicone of any kind for skirting and architraves.;)

Paint or varnish will not take to it.

just use caulk and paint it.

+1. You'll live to regret it if you use silicone.

If all else fails, make some filler out of the wood dust, and some PVA glue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

As mentioned already, only a limited range of colours here (brown, magnolia, white).
    As it's for wood then I'd highly recommend Plastic Wood by the tube (about €6-7 per 400ml)...it will take stain, varnish or paint and is sandable too. Probably not as flexible though and about 3 times the cost of caulk.

If it must be caulk and it simply has to be the right colour here's a system that we used for a job a few years back.

http://www.thepaintstore.com/Red_Devil_Create_A_Color_Caulk_Mixing_System_p/0409.htm

It was a bit fiddly and hard to get the colour consistent across the tubes, but it worked. I wouldn't have paid for it though (client did)
    Realistically nowadays I would use white and run the line of wall colour out on to it rather than trying to match the shade of timber. Timber is impossible to match with a solid colour in practice.
    Obviously if you're filling internal gaps in the joinery then you can't paint that caulk but if it's only where the joinery meets coloured wall surfaces then painting it is the best bang for the buck.

...and just to reiterate do NOT use bloody silicone. I spent half of yesterday removing messy beading from a fresh plastered wall where a kitchen fitter thought he was doing everyone a favour by sealing the worktop to the wall (fine if the wall decoration is finished). It's a regaular occruence. Irish builders love teh stuff...

Wertz wrote: »
    As mentioned already, only a limited range of colours here (brown, magnolia, white).
    As it's for wood then I'd highly recommend Plastic Wood by the tube (about €6-7 per 400ml)...it will take stain, varnish or paint and is sandable too. Probably not as flexible though and about 3 times the cost of caulk.

If it must be caulk and it simply has to be the right colour here's a system that we used for a job a few years back.

http://www.thepaintstore.com/Red_Devil_Create_A_Color_Caulk_Mixing_System_p/0409.htm

It was a bit fiddly and hard to get the colour consistent across the tubes, but it worked. I wouldn't have paid for it though (client did)
    Realistically nowadays I would use white and run the line of wall colour out on to it rather than trying to match the shade of timber. Timber is impossible to match with a solid colour in practice.
    Obviously if you're filling internal gaps in the joinery then you can't paint that caulk but if it's only where the joinery meets coloured wall surfaces then painting it is the best bang for the buck.

...and just to reiterate do NOT use bloody silicone. I spent half of yesterday removing messy beading from a fresh plastered wall where a kitchen fitter thought he was doing everyone a favour by sealing the worktop to the wall (fine if the wall decoration is finished). It's a regaular occruence. Irish builders love teh stuff...

Thanks for that i was hoping to get a product that matched the steamed beech quite well. the walls are all over the place and I used the veneered mdf steamed beech type skirtngs and architraves. Regret using them now but cant afford to change them at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Sounds like a question for Joey the Lips.

He may be able to help you.

Thank you...

You will fail..

Caulk comes in white and brilliant white...

It use to come in ivory and cream but this has stopped...

As its paintable they stopped also produceing black... Another reason is because cowboy roofers used black as a sealent.... A big no no..

Buy white and paint it...

either that or colour the caulk with actual coloured chalk on a mixing board...

It has enough time to be workable...

Silicone has limited colours...

Clear
    White
    Grey
    Black
    Ivory
    Cream
    Red

I am sure i have missed one....or five..

Thank you...

You will fail..

Caulk comes in white and brilliant white...

It use to come in ivory and cream but this has stopped...

As its paintable they stopped also produceing black... Another reason is because cowboy roofers used black as a sealent.... A big no no..

Buy white and paint it...

either that or colour the caulk with actual coloured chalk on a mixing board...

It has enough time to be workable...

Silicone has limited colours...

Clear
    White
    Grey
    Black
    Ivory
    Cream
    Red

I am sure i have missed one....or five..

Aaah! You may not have been able to provide the solution that the OP wanted, but you knew the answer though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Just thought of another product called CM 10 by a spanish company, Quiadsa. It might be more up your street. I know I got it here ages ago but don't know if it's widely available.

http://www.quiadsa.com/idiomas/eng/cm_10.htm

I notice beech in the shade listings. Might be of some use. I think it was the oak I used and it was fairly close.

Advertisement