Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

grouping shots

Options
  • 13-12-2010 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

hi lads just looking for a bit of advice,i bought a new rifle a remington 700 vsf in 223 and i had it out for a few shots the other day i heard they are good for tight
    groups but the best i could manage was 1.5 to 2 inch groups at 100 yds i was using remington umc 50 grn hollowpionts has anyone any advice i would be grateful,cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

Try better ammo like hornady ,sako or federal premium.Should cut your groups in half .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

did you clean and shoot in the barrell properly if its a new gun and try as many differant types of ammo as you can to see which shoots best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

fitzy700 wrote: »
    hi lads just looking for a bit of advice,i bought a new rifle a remington 700 vsf in 223 and i had it out for a few shots the other day i heard they are good for tight
    groups but the best i could manage was 1.5 to 2 inch groups at 100 yds i was using remington umc 50 grn hollowpionts has anyone any advice i would be grateful,cheers

Try Hornady V-Max 55grain!

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

One problem is, people who post their targets showing 1/2" or 1/4" groups
    seldomly mention how long it took them to get the rifle (and shooter) set
    up to achieve that.
    I would say 1.5" at 100yds with cheap umc is not that bad. Fire a couple
    hundred with that same ammo and you'll see the rifle will slowly get better
    and you will get better.
    Then as others said one should find ammo that the rifle prefers.
    I found sako 55gr soft points to shoot quite well with the 223's I had.
    After that...rifle optimising starts...and never ends:)
    edi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

ejg wrote: »
    One problem is, people who post their targets showing 1/2" or 1/4" groupsseldomly mention how long it took them to get the rifle (and shooter) set
    up to achieve that. 14 years and countingI would say 1.5" at 100yds with cheap umc is not that bad. Fire a couple
    hundred with that same ammo and you'll see the rifle will slowly get better
    and you will get better.
    Then as others said one should find ammo that the rifle prefers.
    I found sako 55gr soft points to shoot quite well with the 223's I had.
    After that...rifle optimising starts...and never ends:)
    edi

I have a lot of friends that have remington, all run well on 40grain but sing with the 55grain.

I could not get much better with UMC, Fine if you are shooting on a budget, will still mangle a fox, on long range bunnies you need a better round to stop you pulling your hair out.

I have to say, I love Hornady V-Max Moly, I have used around 1000 rounds of it to date and it never lets me down.

Nothing more frustrating than bad ammo IMvHO.
    I try and keep everything simple, then I have less variables to work with, just wind and range, let the ammo, rifle and scope be consistant.

It is me that needs constant improvement :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

Had a 223 Remmy and a nice cheap round that's quite accurate up to 200yds is American Eagle 50gr flat base hollow point. Mine loved them.
    Out of stock here at the moment- http://www.sportsden.ie/guns/gun-accessories/ammunition/american-eagle-223-rem-5-56x45mm-jacketed-hollow-point.html
    but you get the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭leupold90

+1 on the American Eagle. My VSSF loves them.

For good groups you need a stable comfortable shooting position whether that be sitting at a bench, lying prone or whatever. What you're resting the rifle on is also important.

Try different brands of ammo to see if there's any improvement. Sometimes it's worth getting someone else to try the rifle. If after time the groups don't improve there are many tweaks that can be done to Remingtons to improve them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

honestly you could start by throwing that umc ammo in the bin.

did you clean and run in the barrel first before starting to get groups.

time behind the trigger and finding a round thats suits you is all you need. practice makes perfect,
    enjoy the practice and get comfortable with your new rifle and the groups will become naturally tighter.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭fitzy700

cheers lads,thanks for the replys i broke in the barrell like i was supposed to
    but i did only use the cheap ammo i must try some decent hornady or
    federal rounds and see how i get on,thanks for the tips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 canttakeajoke

If your shooting prone with a bolt action you might try reloading slower while keeping an eye on the target. Keep your left hand sightly behind the stock-grip while shooting. Happy hunting;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement