Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The MMA Trivia Thread

• 13-12-2010 12:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭

I thought this might be a little bit of fun. I love a bit of trivia me and i'm sure all the MMA lovers of the forum have little chunks here and there and would like to share (also, it would be a nice place for newbies to come and learn a little more about the sport :) )

I'll get the ball rolling with some fairly obvious ones that everyone will know just off the top of my head!

• Dan Henderson was the first man (and so far only man) to hold 2 belts from different divisions in a major organisation at the same time when, as the Pride WW Champ, he KO'd Wandi Silva to become Pride MW Champion.
    • Travis Fullton holds the record for biggest amount of Professional Sanctioned MMa fights. So far, he has had 253 professional fights. This figure doesn't include amateur fights, unsanctioned fights or even his 38 Pro Boxing bouts.
    • At UFC 36, Matt Hughes was due to fight the Shooto MW Champion, however, the Champ was refused a Visa so he fought Mach Sakuri. The fighter who was refused a Visa was Anderson Silva.
    • Charles Olivera and Manchester United Midfeilder Nani have never been seen in the same room together.

Right, let us have it :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Matt Hughes was due to face Rich Franklin at MW after TUF 2 after Rich beat Evan Tanner for the UFC MW title. The UFC withdrew the idea and Rich went on to face Nate Quarry in his next defense where I he knocked him out cold in the first round at UFC 56. Hughes went on to submit Joe Riggs in the first round at UFC 56.

First fighter to fight for a title after appearing on TUF: Nate Quarry
    First Champion from TUF: Matt Serra
    First Coaches: Chuck Liddell and Randy Couture
    Who has coached the most times: Rampage, Tito Ortiz, Chuck Liddell and Matt Hughes all coached TUF twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,924 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Dan Severn is also a writer for Penthouse :D

Great thread to learn some interesting facts man!

Jon Fitch was originally due to be on TUF 1 but when he got to the airport to go to Vegas the UFC changed their mind about him and told him he wasn't needed. They replaced him with Bobby Southworth. Low and behold we don't have a fúcking clue who Jon Fitch is and Bobby Southworth is a one of the top fighters in the WW division.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

unknown13 wrote: »
    Jon Fitch was originally due to be on TUF 1 but when he got to the airport to go to Vegas the UFC changed their mind about him and told him he wasn't needed. They replaced him with Bobby Southworth. Low and behold we don't have a fúcking clue who Jon Fitch is and Bobby Southworth is a one of the top fighters in the WW division.

I heard a different version of this. I heard that he was replaced because the Tapout crew had a young fighter who they wanted to push on the show instead. Diego Sanchez.

Edit: Link

• Advertisement

During the height of Kimbo Slice's online popularity, Kimbo was finally beaten in one of his fight videos by 2-0 MMA fighter Sean Gannon.

On the back of this, UFC signed up "The Kimbo Slayer" and signed him up to fight Brandon Lee Hinkle.

Hinkle smashed Gannon and Gannon never fought again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

The Ufc is due to return to Ireland on st Patricks day some year:D

martic wrote: »
    The Ufc is due to return to Ireland on st Patricks day EVERY year:D

FYP :P

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭kid chaos

Good thread

Fabricio Werdum started training BJJ when a girlfriends ex choked him out with a triangle during a fight

Tito Ortiz real name is Jacob Ortiz

Gerard Gordeau fought hid second fight in UFC with two TEETH deep in his foot
    Also when he knocked out Tulis teeth one just flew past john mc cartheys wife, she left the aarena after that

When Joachin Hansen beat Rumina Sato he threw his gumsheild into the crowd...it hit caol unos mother on the head

The green ranger (Tommy) is now an MMA fighter. Jason David Frank

In a tournament in Japan, Yuki Nakai fought Gerard Gordeau (UFC 1). Gordeau eye gouged Yuki so bad that he now suffers from blindness in one eye. He won the fight by heel hook and the next fight by arm bar. He got beat by Rickson Gracie in the final. Gracie said he never hit him on that eye out of respect. Yuki denied any interviews for years after the fight because he didnt want any bad press for MMA. LEGEND!!

Ricco Rodriguez was driving an 18 wheeler HIGH and rammed it into a wall with his girlfriend in the passenger seat. He then put his unconscious girlfriend (who he thought was dead) into the drivers seat. He confessed this on a tv show.

People in Igor Vovchanchins town would ring the town bell everytime he was in a bad mood, to let everybody know to avoid him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Matt Hughes likes having sex in hospitals with women who have just had surgery.......apparently :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

scudzilla wrote: »
    Matt Hughes likes having sex in hospitals with women who have just had surgery.......apparently :rolleyes:
    ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Mellor wrote: »
    ???

Read his biography, it's fcuked up, he says quite a few times that he shagged his wife as she had just came out of surgery!!

Read this, a review of his bio, totally fcuked up

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=66067

Apparently he coems accross a tool in the bio.

Anyway;

The jiu-jitsu move was originally called a "reverse ude-garmi" but was renamed after Masahiko Kimura after using it to finish a fight and becoming the first Japanese fighter to make Helio Gracie tap.

Jens Pulver beat sucessfully defended his title against BJ Penn, dispite tapping to an armbar just seconds after the 2nd round bell

Tim Sylvia **** himself during his fight with Assureo Silva. TRUE!

Alexander Emelianenko killed a bear with a knife and a stick and ate it afterwards.

Josh Barnett fought Gan magee in the only super heavyweight fight in UFC history.

Jeff Monson stripped naked at ADCC when he got DQ'd for using the can opener.

Oleg Taktarov fought Dolph Lundgren (Rocky 4) in a boxing match and won by split decision.

George Lucas' daughter is an MMA fighter.

Kid Yamamoto shot a Yakuza member in the face with a metal pellet gun, the Yakuza got Kids number plate and went to get him. Kid had to jump of a third story balcony to get away. Enson Inuoe then called the Yakuza and sorted the problem. Enson was married to Kids sister.

Frank Trigg and Bruce Buffer fought in an elavator in the hard rock cafe. The fight ended with Buffer having Frank in a rear naked choke.

Babalu is a brand of bubble gum that Renato Sobralchewed when he was a kid.

Goran Relic was asleep one night when he heard a crash outside his houise, a car had smashed into the sea with two guys inside. Goran jumped in. punched through the side window and pulled the two guys to safety. If it hadnt been for witness' at the scene the story may never have emerged. Goran casualy walked back to his house only to be later confirmed by relic to the croation media. HERO!!

Benji Radach Knocked a guy unconscious when he tried to rob the restaurant he was eating at with a gun. He was holding up the girl and benji walked up behind him and broke his jaw with a right hook.

Lloyd Irvin woke up with a gun in his face, standing in front of him was two masked men. They told Irvin to gather everybody in the house and get them in one room. Brandon Vera was staying in Lloyds house along with his 4 year old son and wife. they told them to lie face down on the floor. the gunmen left the room and when they returned Lloyd jumped and pinned one up against the wall holding his gun to the gunmans chest. Lloyd was able to release the magazine which cause the gunmen to flee. Cops later said that they suspected this was done by two wanted serial killers

Rowdy piper is an active MMA fighter by the name of colton toombs

Ken Shamrock was knocked out by jerry saggs of the nasty boys

Yushin Okami won PRIDEs version of the ultimate fighter called ''PRE-PRIDE'' fourth series.

PRIDE was in talks with Mike Tyson to fight either Fedor, Cro Cop or Nogueira

GSP was really close to signing with PRIDE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

kid chaos wrote: »
    Rowdy piper is an active MMA fighter by the name of colton toombs

Ken Shamrock was knocked out by jerry saggs of the nasty boys

Yushin Okami won PRIDEs version of the ultimate fighter called ''PRE-PRIDE'' fourth series.

PRIDE was in talks with Mike Tyson to fight either Fedor, Cro Cop or Nogueira

GSP was really close to signing with PRIDE.

Colton Toombs is Piper's son, not Piper himself. Piper is a black belt in Judo though.

Two stories to the Shamrock/Nasty Boys thing. One is that he was jumped by both Nasty Boys. This was before he began training in shoot fighting/catch wrestling.

Never heard of "PRE-PRIDE", nice nugget of info there :)

As far as I know, Tyson was in talks to fight Bob Sapp.

I'm not sure how true GSP being close to signing with Pride is seeing as they didn't have a 170lbs division. Gomi did call Hughes, BJ and GSP out while he was the 160lbs champ though.

UFC 1's BJJ competitor was obviously Royce Gracie. However, another BJJ practitioner applied and lobbied to the the 2nd BJJ player in the tournament. He was told Royce would be the only BJJ player. So instead, he became a referee for future events. The applicant was Big John McCarthy.

K1 spoiler:
    On Saturday, Alastair Overeem became the first MMA fighter to hold World Titles in both MMA and Kickboxing consecutively

Jayo_M wrote: »
    Yes they then moved on Sapp-Tyson when they couldnt agree on Tyson vs Fedor, cro cop or Nogueira

Yup, Big john was friends with Rorion Gracie through BJJ, Rorion (the man involved with the early shows) advice against Big John entering.

Art Jimmerson (one gloved boxer) backed out of the UFC1 once he learned the rules (as he had a fight a month later) but was offered him $20,000 just to show, making him the highest paid appearance fighter at UFC 1 (the majority received $1000 for initial appearance). During the event, upon viewing the brutality, Jimmerson’s corner conspired backstage to throw in the towel at the first sign of trouble, which they did, but the towel caught on the fence and the referee did not see it. Jimmerson then verbally quit.

Carlson Gracie is Vitor Belfort’s adopted father. Vitor was going to take on the last name ‘Gracie’, but pressure from the rest of the family over Vitor’s skills, put a stop to it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Carlson Gracie is Vitor Belfort’s adopted father

source? unless you mean that figuratively which then it isn't trivia.

I've never heard Carlson is his adopted father, but Vitor did compete under the name of Vitor Gracie in his first MMA fight.

I did come across this quote, whether it's accurate or not, who knows, its from Sherdog :-p

Vitor in 1997:
    Carlson Gracie was to adopt me, but some family members started to be rude before I ever fought. I decided not to take the name because I didn't need the name, the name needed me. I was doing it for Carlson, it was his dream.

kid chaos wrote: »
    Yes they then moved on Sapp-Tyson when they couldnt agree on Tyson vs Fedor, cro cop or Nogueira

http://www.headkicklegend.com/2010/12/14/1875303/mike-tyson-had-a-pride-contract-was-to-fight-crocop-and-fedor

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Paul16

Forrest Griffin’s first MMA fight was against Dan Severn

At PRIDE 22, during the stare down, Rampage gave Igor Vovchanchyn a note that from “his mother” that said “Please don’t hurt my son”

source? unless you mean that figuratively which then it isn't trivia.
    Read it somewhere a while ago, unless I misunderstoof what they refered to

While finalising the cast of TUF 1, Dana White went to see highly rated and experienced fighter Drew Fickett and to ultimately sign him up for the show. Fickett was fighting a young guy who was in just his 3rd MMA fight and was expected to win in style and impress White.

The fight was a barn-burner, which Fickett won via a close Split Decision. But Dana was so impressed by Fickett's opponent that he decided against giving Fickett the spot and instead gave the spot to his young opponent. The opponent was Kenny Florian.

Jayo_M wrote: »
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/286571/Mike-Tyson-had-a-Pride-contract-to-fight-Fedor/

interesting story

MrStuffins wrote: »
    While finalising the cast of TUF 1, Dana White went to see highly rated and experienced fighter Drew Fickett and to ultimately sign him up for the show.

Dana never went with the intention of signing Fickett for the show, he went with the intention of signing him to the UFC, which he did.

Dana never went with the intention of signing Fickett for the show, he went with the intention of signing him to the UFC, which he did.
    did I now already post that?
    that Dana went to sign Fickett and did (debut was a few months before T.U.Finale 1, Florian got a TUF spot as he impressed

• Advertisement

It is my understanding that he went there to sign hin for TUF. i've heard this in many places and in fact it even says so on Kenny Florian's own website.
    In the audience that night by chance was Ultimate Fighting President, Dana White. Ironically, he was scouting Fickett for a new reality show.

http://kennyflorian.com/about/biography/

He gave him the UFC contract anyway, but gave Kenny the spot on TUF.

Also, if i remember correctly, Dana said it himself in one of the episodes, without actually naming Fickett though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭backrow67n8

Great thread lads, can't believe some of the stuff I'm reading. Its great for a newbie to MMA!!

Just a few that I found on the net:
    Rorion Gracie was the fight scene coordinator for Lethal Weapon 1

At PRIDE 9, Matt Serra’s opponent was injured by the pyrotechnics and the match was called off.

Matt Serra is the first American that the Gracie family awarded a black belt to.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Pccb

A little known fact from irish mma is that butch from the bushwhackers in the old wwf is actually pol murrays da. Fact!

Fact 2. Decky dalton still has pictures of ravishing rick rude up in his bedroom! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭nobbo

The jiu-jitsu move was originally called a "reverse ude-garmi" but was renamed after Masahiko Kimura after using it to finish a fight and becoming the first Japanese fighter to make Helio Gracie tap

Afaik, Gracie didnt actually tap. I think I read somewhere that Gracies corner had to throw in the towel because he wouldn't tap...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

nobbo wrote: »
    Afaik, Gracie didnt actually tap. I think I read somewhere that Gracies corner had to throw in the towel because he wouldn't tap...

Yup Kimura broke Garcie's arm. Then Sakuraba broke both Royler and Renzo's arm with the kimura lock too. Both also refused to tap.

Yeah, I meant to say won via sub hold.
    Gracies generally don't tap :D

I remember Royce refusing to let a few holds go in early UFCs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭TKline

Yup Kimura broke Garcie's arm. Then Sakuraba broke both Royler and Renzo's arm with the kimura lock too. Both also refused to tap.

Hope they learned their lesson for next time.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

Forrest Griffin fought Edson Paradeo, in which Edson broke Griffin's left arm with what appeared to be a badly blocked roundhouse kick aimed at the body. Forrest continued on to win the fight by knockout with his right hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Yeah, I meant to say won via sub hold.
    Gracies generally don't tap :D

I remember Royce refusing to let a few holds go in early UFCs

I thought the main reason he held them is because Ken tried to carry on after he tapped.
    And because Gordeau bit his ear during the fight.

WEC spoiler:
    On Dec 16th 2010, Dominic Cruz became the first ever UFC Bantamweight Champion by beating Scott Jorgensen in the last ever WEC Bantemweight title fight.

The WEC's merger into the UFC meant that Cruz starts his UFC career as the organisation's first BW Champ.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AlSJzpu0OtPqNuJNQuTJSic9Eo14?slug=dm-linear090310

Thought that was pretty cool, albeit a bit out of date..

• Advertisement
Advertisement