Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student/Grant but living at home

Options
  • 13-12-2010 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭

Hi all

looking to go to college next year. I'm currently receiving lone parent allowance but am living at home. As far as I can tell because I live at home i won't be eligible for a grant as my parents are over the income limit.

Would they take it into consideration that i'm 25, a parent myself and my parents dont give me any money. I like living at home for the company but i'm thinking now the only way i'd be able to get the grant is to move out and get rent allowance.

Does anybody have any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I don't think you will get a grant unless your parents earn less than the cut off mark. Even though you are 25 you would still be classed as dependant on your parents. Crazy, I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

uh decisions, prob cost more to live on my own food and bills then what the grant is worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

They won't take it into account, it doesn't matter how obvious it is that you're independent, if you're living with your parents & they're above the income limit - no grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 pmonster

i think once your living at home and your parents are over the limit its a no hoper also i think if you are considering moving out you have to have moved out before october to get the grant. im not 100% sure about better to check it out on studentfinance.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

pmonster wrote: »
    i think once your living at home and your parents are over the limit its a no hoper also i think if you are considering moving out you have to have moved out before october to get the grant. im not 100% sure about better to check it out on studentfinance.ie

Pmonster is right. No matter your age and financial circumstances once you live at home you are counted as being a dependent on your parents and their income will be assessed.
    Also you would have to have moved by the 1st October 2010 to be assessed as an independent mature candidate for 2011 entry: Taken from http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/1273247107/DES_S_Grant_Guidance_Notes_final_for_web_05May10.pdf
    Independent mature candidate:
    If you were 23 years of age or older on the 1st of January of the year of entry or re-entry to an
    approved course but were not ordinarily resident with your parent(s) or legal guardian from the 1st
    October of the year prior to entry or re-entry to an approved course, your application will be
    assessed based on your own income. Your parents’ or legal guardian’s income is not taken into
    consideration. You will need to send us documentary evidence as proof of living independently from
    your parent(s) or legal guardian during the relevant period. If you are an independent mature candidate
    and are married or co-habiting, your application will be assessed based your spouse’s or partner’s
    income and your own income

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

yeah just heard off somebody else that they cut you off rent allowance if you get the grant so not worth my while moving out. Think i'll just save up and go back part time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

bulmersgal wrote: »
    yeah just heard off somebody else that they cut you off rent allowance if you get the grant so not worth my while moving out. Think i'll just save up and go back part time

That would screw me entirely then. :(

Advertisement