Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New pub with live music

Options
  • 13-12-2010 12:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi there. Recently a new pub either opened or it begun to have live music. It's walls makes borders with the apartement I live, and it's being a nightmare ever since.

Every day from Thu-Sun, up untill 2:00AM. Yesterday they played up till 2:30, today it's 23:45 and the music is on the loudest volume.

I've just moved to Ireland, and I wonder if there's any law that regulates pubs, noise level and things like that.

Tomorrow I'll ask my landlord for some advice. Is it possible to file a complaint on the city council?

Besides moving out (which I can not do on the moment due to a fixed contract with my landlord), what other options do I have?

I usually wake up really soon in the mornings, tomorrow I get up at 6:00, and it's a pain trying to sleep with such loud sound.

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Have you talked to the pub about it. They may be reasonable. We had a similar problem where when the pub had someone with a third party PA system was there it was too loud. We talked to the pub and they turned down the bass which helped alot. They also moved it to another section of the pub when they had it in again

You could also make a complaint to the guards which I believe will then be taken into account when they renew their license

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

There are a few things here.

For one thing, there may be a planning permission issue with having music that can be heard outside the premises.

Secondly, there is likely to be a licensing issue with performing music in a pub after the official bar closing time.

You can certainly follow this up with the Garda (you need the officer in charge of licensing) and the council (the planning enforcement section). However, it will be a bit of a rigmarole. It is really up to your landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you are in the Dublin City area, you should be able to check the planning permission online here: http://www.dublincity.ie/Planning/PlanningPermission/PlanningSearch/Pages/PlanningSearch.aspx

Other councils will have similar pages on their websites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 zer0c00l

Thanks, next time, I'll go out and see if I can locate the exact source, we have 2 pubs nearby one on the top street, one on the corner.

I'll try to reason with the owner first, hope that this solves the problem before going to the Garda or Concil, tried to talk to my Landlord, which said he could not do anything about it. I wonder if this is something that would violate the agreement of having a good place to stay, since it's really quite difficult to sleep on weekends.

Regards

Advertisement