Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

...complete and utter newbie question(s)....

• 13-12-2010 1:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭

...sorry, I should know better -but I'm a lazy git. And, seeing as I 'live' in Motors on boards, it was only logical to drop in here for some advice on consoles......you see, Santa has been asked to bring one - ahem.

Now, I was looking for cross-platform advice, but I'm gravitating towards Xbox anyway, after today......

First question: I was recently shown a PS3 set up with media server, browser etc, and I thought this was the dog's. Now today I was told none of that is possible with the Xbox - this surely can't be right, given that it's one of Bill's Big Idea's.....a 'computer' that can't surf the web ?

Second question: the driver behind this whole hoolah is in fact, the Kinect controller. Is it any good, or just another beta-test-on-the-punter gadget ?

Finally, what would the limitation be - if any - on choosing the 4Gb package over the 250Gb one ?

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a lightly disappointed inside that we're not going PS3, tbh......I do so like the non-console capabilities it offered.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

galwaytt wrote: »
    First question: I was recently shown a PS3 set up with media server, browser etc, and I thought this was the dog's. Now today I was told none of that is possible with the Xbox - this surely can't be right, given that it's one of Bill's Big Idea's.....a 'computer' that can't surf the web ?

It's true and not true unfortunately. As for media servers, using a programme such as TVersity or even Windows Media Centre you can have your media streamed to the X Box same as a PS3. Where you lose out is the inability to copy video to the X Box HD as you can on the PS3. You can rip audio CDs to the console though. And no, there isn't a web browser on the X Box. There is however access to Twitter and Facebook through Apps not to mention the Sky Player

Second question: the driver behind this whole hoolah is in fact, the Kinect controller. Is it any good, or just another beta-test-on-the-punter gadget ?

I started off as skeptical as anyone with Kinect and having picked one up and spent as long as I can trying to find a major underlying lazy fault in it and failing I can say it is well worth the hype. It is a casual device for the casual gaming side that is great fun. The possibilities on the horizon with it too are mouth watering.

Finally, what would the limitation be - if any - on choosing the 4Gb package over the 250Gb one ?

You can install a HD into the 4GB, can be done using one of the old mode HDs too so will be relatively cheap.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a lightly disappointed inside that we're not going PS3, tbh......I do so like the non-console capabilities it offered.

There's a little issue around console forums with wars starting over which console is better than the other so I'm not going into this one too much but I will say you won't be disappointed with the X Box, and this is coming from someone who owns every console under the sun!

Hope these help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Niallon - excellent stuff.

XBox 4Gb 360 Kinect package it is then !

Might throw in a Forza game from Santa for myself.......... ;)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The Kinect is actually excellent, and is currently only limited by the software written for it. Go have a google at some of the hacks done for it, it's been hookedup to a quadricopter to let it fly itself, been hooked to a car to drive itself, software's been written on PC to allow you to browse Minority Report style, to play air guitar (Which is brilliant!), and to make shadow puppets on TV. The scope for what its potential is, is huge!

About the browser, I was surprised too - but given Microsoft's track record at coding browsers, maybe it's not a bad thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

hey 'doc' - fancy meeting you here !!

..the way things are going, - and the price juice is at today here 1.44 - then I might be spending more time here/on the Xbox than the road !!:eek:

for less than 12mths tax on a you-know-what would see a nice one of these......mmmm...

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Already working on one :D Made myself a Kinect TV bracket (You can find it in this forum), and herself kindly got me a steering wheel and pedals last year, so I'm going to weld up some sort of collapsable frame for a seat - she'd go mental if it took up space in the house, so I want something that'll literally fold up like a clothes horse.

Get yourself Forza 3, great fun belting around the ring in a Veyron :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

keep in mind that forza 3 has an extra dick that needs to be installed so you can play all the maps and use all tthe cars etc so thatll mean youll have to upgrade your hdd pretty soon if you want to put much more on there, (im not sure how big the forza install is)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

Korvanica wrote: »
    keep in mind that forza 3 has an extra dick that needs to be installed so you can play all the maps and use all tthe cars etc so thatll mean youll have to upgrade your hdd pretty soon if you want to put much more on there, (im not sure how big the forza install is)

LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

If you're going to use the console to download games, demos and additional content, or even use it for online games then you'd be better off just buying the 250gig HD. Sure there's work-arounds with older drives and being able to use 16 gig flash drives but if you want to keep it simple and hassle free, just bite the bullet and buy the bigger HD.

Why? So you can install every game you have to the HD.

Reason? Quicker load times, quieter operational noise and the console runs at a lower temperature so you have less chance of you're console over-heating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Reason? Quicker load times, quieter operational noise and the console runs at a lower temperature so you have less chance of you're console over-heating.

Speculation tbh, never seen evidence of this anywhere. Now if you'd said "you'll save on laser wear & tear" it would have been better ;)

Speculation tbh, never seen evidence of this anywhere. Now if you'd said "you'll save on laser wear & tear" it would have been better ;)

Fair enough, it may be speculation... I've three xboxes, have suffered around nine RRoD's since launch to date but not once since I started installing every game to the HD. How about I rephrase that to "In My Opinion" ;) Don't get me wrong, I know I'll get more RRoD eventually but I believe it's definitely increasing the duration between down times.

Sure the wear and tear is definitely another consideration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Its 9.7Gb if I remember correctly.

I'm pretty sure you mean inches.

Gi joe! wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you mean inches.

The only thing that height is your avatar :eek:

Advertisement