Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queer as Folk

Options
  • 13-12-2010 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

I CANNOT BELIEVE I HAD NEVER WATCHED THIS BEFORE!! Its brilliant!! I had heard about it but I didn't think there would have been proper good storylines. I thaught it was just goina be a bita gay sex! Every gay guy can see themselves in one of the characters. I wish i had watched this when i was younger so i would have had a better understanding about the gay scene, relationships, coming out and all that.

Has anybody watched the US version? Any good or did the americans exaggerate too much?

THANK GOD FOR 40D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

its good alright, i remember it well back in the day when it was 'new' on channel 4, trying to watch it quietly when no-one was around!! loved it, only rewatched it again recently, the american one is defo not as good, as always

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

I have the UK and US versions on DVD. They're both great, but the UK version is unquestionably the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭NR04

so the american version is worth watching?? its so funny that the main actors aren't even gay? there was some fairly graphic scenes there!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

NR04 wrote: »
    Has anybody watched the US version? Any good or did the americans exaggerate too much?

The English one is better, but the US one is worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

NR04 wrote: »
    so the american version is worth watching?? its so funny that the main actors aren't even gay? there was some fairly graphic scenes there!!

I wondered about that too but I guess talented acting is all about performing roles that have no resemblence to the actors real selves. I'm sure Anthony Hopkins didn't win the role of Hannibal because he had cannibalism on his CV...!

I agree with you that the series is fantastic - I only watched it in it's entirety when I bought the full series on dvd last year after only watching the odd episode on C4 discreetly during my closet years. I'm also considering whether to buy the US series but my guess is that it is a more sanitized version if it was broadcast on conservative US network television. I'd recommend watching a couple of clips on Youtube to get a sense of whether the American version is worth purchasing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

ongarboy wrote: »
    my guess is that it is a more sanitized version if it was broadcast on conservative US network television.

You would be incorrect. :) But it is more soap-opera in its plots after a while, and can get quite silly. Still fun though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

ongarboy wrote: »
    my guess is that it is a more sanitized version if it was broadcast on conservative US network television.

Au contraire. I was quite surprised how graphic it was for an american show. HBO would appear to be the risqué channel in america.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Au contraire. I was quite surprised how graphic it was for an american show. HBO would appear to be the risqué channel in america.

Ah, I see. Just checking Wikipedia now and see it was actually broadcast on cable network, Showtime in the U.S. so that explains why it had more freedom for graphic or risque scenes that would have been censored by the mainstream networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭NR04

I might get the american series on DVD then. There's a couple of seasons. I seen it in HMV for €34.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

I know Aiden Gillen one fo the actors if anyone wants an intro... ;) Undeniably straight in real life though, just to burst a few bubbles!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I've always wanted to watch it (the UK version) but never got around to it. May pick it up on DVD some day.
    Beruthiel wrote: »

I love HBO, and yeah they don't hold back in that regard. Look at Six Feet Under - I always thought it was funny that they were able to shove so many graphic sex scenes into a show about a funeral home! And I remember my housemate watching True Blood for the first time, and after a few episodes asked me "Is there a sex scene in EVERY episode?" To which I replied "Pretty much!" :pac:

HBO has a great track record (with the odd exception *cough*Sex and the City*cough*) - Six Feet Under, True Blood, The Sopranos, The Wire, Flight of the Conchords.....all fantastic shows. So if they produced they American one, it makes me more likely to want to watch it. Would rather see the UK version first though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Toby_2010

Just manages to watch the UK one.. all in about 24hrs....:eek:

anyone know where ya can watch the america one on something like 4OD??

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

The UK version is the biggest load of rubbish compared to the US version ;):D

The US version elaborate a lot more on the UK story lines since they were able to run a good few series instead of the UKs one series or two cant remember. Id reckon all the characters are far hotter in the US too ;)

Aiden Gillan doesnt have a patch on the character in the US one Brian Kinney!

Advertisement