Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Android for the wife

• 13-12-2010 1:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

The wife is looking for a new phone to replace her nokia 5530 and its time for an android.

I've a desire and the choice was easy but trying to find something on the cheaper end of the scale isn't so easy. The HTC wildfire looks ideal but reading on here the screen isn't supposed to be great but i'm not sure what thats in comparison to.

Any suggestions? Budget is around 300 simfree (preferably from expansys, the wildfire is 280 there) and froyo would be nice either official or not.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Chet T16 wrote: »
    The wife is looking for a new phone to replace her nokia 5530 and its time for an android.

I've a desire and the choice was easy but trying to find something on the cheaper end of the scale isn't so easy. The HTC wildfire looks ideal but reading on here the screen isn't supposed to be great but i'm not sure what thats in comparison to.

Any suggestions? Budget is around 300 simfree (preferably from expansys, the wildfire is 280 there) and froyo would be nice either official or not.

Thanks

My wife uses The Legend and loves it, would recommend it as nice size and all, specs are great. Only thing is i'm still on a Hero till i upgrade, so she's constantly pointing out that my phone is a discontinued relic and that she can hear it 'Whir' every time i use it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

scudzilla wrote: »
    My wife uses The Legend and loves it, would recommend it as nice size and all, specs are great. Only thing is i'm still on a Hero till i upgrade, so she's constantly pointing out that my phone is a discontinued relic and that she can hear it 'Whir' every time i use it :(

The only problem being the price, it's over 400 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭dandruff_ie

the wildfire is grand i have one a month now

and the screen would not be as good as yours but its grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

At the (relatively) low end of the Android scale, i think it's pretty much down to to the Wildfire, or going out of your way to get the ZTE Blade/Orange San Francisco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Does it have to be new new?
    You could probably pick up a HTC Desire for around the 300 mark on adverts.ie

• Advertisement

wernstrom! wrote: »
    At the (relatively) low end of the Android scale, i think it's pretty much down to to the Wildfire, or going out of your way to get the ZTE Blade/Orange San Francisco.

The blade looks like a very good option, cheap too, easily under 200 euro for an unlocked san francisco
    Does it have to be new new?
    You could probably pick up a HTC Desire for around the 300 mark on adverts.ie

New would be better. I don't think she'd like a second hand phone for christmas after buying me a simfree desire for my birthday :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

have you looked at the lg optimus t? im not sure if it is available yet in ireland and im not sure if it will be called the exact same thing but it is meant to be a very good cheaper android phone and it has 2.2 as far as i know

in the states anyway you can get it on contract from as little as 30dollars so im sure it would come in under your budget if it is available in ireland

ill have a quick google and see if i can find an irish carrier with it

edit; think it might be called the lg optimus gt540 over here

edit 2; nope its the lg optimus 1 and its available on three pay as you go for 189 if you buy online, 2million sold world wide in the first month of release and all the podcasts i listen to have been saying its one of the best non top of the range phones http://three.ie/shop/lg-optimus-one-black-classic-max.htm

edit 3; it appears there is a sim unlock out there for it that you can do yourself so you could buy it on 3 for 190 and then just sim unlock it yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

I got my wife the Xperia X10 Mini Pro & she loves it. She isn't a lover of the touchscreen keyboards so the slide out qwerty keyboard is a gift. It's also recently updated to 2.1 so has a lot more apps open to it (like Skype primarily)

Thanks for the opinions everyone, looking at the suggested phones the Blade/San Francisco came out top so i've ordered one of them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Optimus is without a doubt the value droid at the moment, only real problem id have is low camera and screen spec, really depends if this would be much of an issue or not

• Advertisement
Advertisement