Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

200 yard scope

Options
  • 13-12-2010 1:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭

Hi guys this probaby has been asked before. What size scope would be good for rabbits at 200 yards?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭sako75 hunter

beanie10 wrote: »
    Hi guys this probaby has been asked before. What size scope would be good for rabbits at 200 yards?

6-24-72. Zeiss. That should do the job! just kidding.
    What calibre rifle you using, just out of interest?
    I used to use a 3-12-50. Thats what i used to use on a 22wmr but im no expert on rabbit shooting.
    Someone with more experience will be along in a bit to give you better advice......:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Little targets require big magnification. Big targets get small magnification.

For small targets, I like a 6.5-20x50mm like this Burris Fullfield II
    opplanet-burris-65-20x50mm-fullfield-ii-rifle-scope.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Just about anything. With a fine reticle, 4x will comfortably give you a clear picture at 200 yards. 8x is luxuriously easy to shoot with at that range. I'd say if you wanted versatility, something like a 3-9x40 is perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

To hit the Bunny ballpark
    8x will do @200
    to take his eye out at teh same distance?
    Well I use 32x, however I have also used 20x to similar sucess.

I like to be able to get the cross on the rabits head, not entirely covering the rabbit.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=116748&d=1276373222
    Pic is of a 292yard bunny.

If you have a smaller budget then perhaps NF is out of the question.
    However I can not reccomend them any higher;)

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=111491&d=1271800542
    All ~200yards or over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

4-12x50 on mine lad and iv knocked a few at that distance and a few crows too. the magnification is usually on about 10

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

I have it set to 11 and and i feel im at the limit targetting a rabbit at 120 yards. I cant put it on 12 as it wont focus enough on that setting. Is there something wrong with scope or lusy me???

I have it set to 11 and and i feel im at the limit targetting a rabbit at 120 yards. I cant put it on 12 as it wont focus enough on that setting. Is there something wrong with scope or lusy me???

Sounds like a cheap scope

I had a tasco 6-24x50 that would not focus above 22, it went white/cloudy.

can you adjust the paralax on your scope? mine goes a little bit cloudy at 12 unless i have the paralax set to infinity. might be a cheap scope like tac said but mine is not a very expensive one ether and it seems to work fine. get out and do some plinkin lad, set up bottels at differant distances and keep workin back, you'll soon get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

I've been taking rabbits out to 280 yards with my 223 and my old redfield tracker 3-12x44 . so it depends on how comfortable you are with you gear and how much you use it.

I've been taking rabbits out to 280 yards with my 223 and my old redfield tracker 3-12x44 . so it depends on how comfortable you are with you gear and how much you use it.

Head shots or body shots?
    even at 280 yards a .223 mushes a rabbit if hit in the body, in fact past 400 body shots are still destructive with ballistic tipped

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Head neck area and yes the .223 40gr B.T.'s are a little destructive :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

May sound like a stupid question but on a 3-12x50 scope if you have it set to lets say 10 should that make the object 10 times bigger?

May sound like a stupid question but on a 3-12x50 scope if you have it set to lets say 10 should that make the object 10 times bigger?

10 times bigger, than it would look with the naked eye at that range

Head neck area and yes the .223 40gr B.T.'s are a little destructive :D
    yeah thats bunnie overkill, altho head shots probably do some of the skinnin work for ya and remove the head:D

yeah thats bunnie overkill, altho head shots probably do some of the skinnin work for ya and remove the head:D

All depends on where you hit them!
    attachment.php?attachmentid=139662&d=1292499608
    90% of all my hunting is head shots!

yeah head shots are a must even with the 17gr v-max ya make a mess of the meat if ya hit it

Advertisement