Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC price increase

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,484 ✭✭✭Nollog

Oh right, you meant new 15mbit customers. though that package doesn't exist according to their website, maybe hidden.

I was referring to my own situation.
    Was 15 now 20. Still 250GB/month limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Oh right, you meant new 15mbit customers. though that package doesn't exist according to their website, maybe hidden.

I was referring to my own situation.
    Was 15 now 20. Still 250GB/month limit.
    I turn off my modem and turn it back on getting 19mb on upc speedtest do you tell them your on 20mb and not 15mb since it only 120G now and not 250G last thing i want is 80 euro fine.

They upgraded us, so they know we're on 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

Another price increasae today in post.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

Got a letter off UPC meself today, saying they are increasing the Broadband speed to 25mb, but also they are increasing the price by 3 euro! I didnt ask for either:mad:

• Advertisement

BazBox wrote: »
    Got a letter off UPC meself today, saying they are increasing the Broadband speed to 25mb, but also they are increasing the price by 3 euro! I didnt ask for either:mad:

What i dont underatand is that im happy with what ive got right now.

20mb and UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Now they are telling me that im going to get increase to 25mb (which trust me wont happen, if you do a speed test you get now where near so its just a ploy to get more money)

And secondly im with upc 3 years and ive always had UNLIMITED why am i getting a letter telling me there is an increase in my UNLIMITED download??

I tried to call but no surprise i was on hold for over 20mins and gave up..

I hate upc with a passion.

Cheap nasty company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

What i dont underatand is that im happy with what ive got right now.

20mb and UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Now they are telling me that im going to get increase to 25mb (which trust me wont happen, if you do a speed test you get now where near so its just a ploy to get more money)

And secondly im with upc 3 years and ive always had UNLIMITED why am i getting a letter telling me there is an increase in my UNLIMITED download??

I tried to call but no surprise i was on hold for over 20mins and gave up..

I hate upc with a passion.

Cheap nasty company.
    You never had unlimited, you had a product called unlimited, but subject to a FUP, or AUP (depending on the timing) which limited the unlimited package. If regulators in this country actually did the work they were set up to do, the advertising one would have stepped in to force them to stop advertising a limited service as an unlimited one, but alas, none of the Irish regulators seem to want to regulate on behalf of the people....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

You never had unlimited it always had a limit it just wasn't called a limit and covered by an AUP or FUP. It's blatantly false advertising on the part of telcos (all of them).

See this blog entry from a year ago:
    http://irelandoffline.org/2010/06/when-is-unlimited-not-unlimited/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 paddylieback

Hi There,

I've noticed recently that anytime UPC up the speed of the broadband they mention it as 'Free' and you automatically think 'great'. But we all know that nothing in this world is 'FREE' .

I'm slightly pissed off at UPC to say the least that they don't even ask if i want increased Broadband speed. They have the audacity to say its Free, further down the road then there's a little price increase because of so called 'increased service costs' .
    This has happened to me now at least 3 times in the last year.

I was quite happy with 10Mb broadband speed. I don't use it too much , certainly not to warrant a DOUBLE in speed, which came the other day, to 20Mb/sec. Dont even need it. Then they tell me the price is going up in the next bill in September.

Is it just me or do other people out there feel they are being done? How do we voice this? I did write to them via email but i think i'll write to them too..

Rich

Hi There,

I've noticed recently that anytime UPC up the speed of the broadband they mention it as 'Free' and you automatically think 'great'. But we all know that nothing in this world is 'FREE' .

I'm slightly pissed off at UPC to say the least that they don't even ask if i want increased Broadband speed. They have the audacity to say its Free, further down the road then there's a little price increase because of so called 'increased service costs' .

I was quite happy with 10Mb broadband speed. I don't use it too much , certainly not to warrant a DOUBLE in speed, which came the other day, to 20Mb/sec. Dont even need it. Then they tell me the price is going up in the next bill in September.

Is it just me or do other people out there feel they are being done? How do we voice this? I did write to them via email but i think i'll write to them too..

Rich

I agree with you.

Computer geeks wont.

Also dont forgot if you do a speed test you wont notice any differenre from when you had a 10mg line and now 1 year later when you have a 20mg line.

Its a sneaky way of pulling another €6 a month from people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I agree with you.

Computer geeks wont.

Also dont forgot if you do a speed test you wont notice any differenre from when you had a 10mg line and now 1 year later when you have a 20mg line.

so, say you'd started off with 1mbps broadband for 40 quid a month and over the course of the last few years upc/ntl/chorus etc. had gradually updated their speeds and pricing for new customers only and left you where you were.

one day, you're talking to your mate who just got upc in and is getting 50mbps for the same price you're paying for your 1mbps because UPC didn't automatically upgrade you when they introduced the new speeds.

you wouldn't be too happy about that i'd imagine, but at least you'd have something else to give out about repeatedly on several threads all at once.

you don't have to put up with it at all though, you can vote with your feet and go to eircom and pay more for less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Hi There,

Rich
    Hey if you don't want the extra speed you should be able to reduce your package to a lower tier sounds like your paying 35 a month? You could probably change to the 12Mb pack if you would prefer, I think with this change in product it does give you an out to cancel your contract and they would probably happily move you onto the lower tier to avoid loosing you as a customer.
    I agree with you.

Computer geeks wont.

I'm not sure why you are with UPC if you have such issues with them but from my experience with UPC when they say they have upgraded me to a higher broadband package I always see the difference however maybe you should try downloading something from the likes of HEAnet it will give you a much better idea of the speed you are actually getting broadband speed test websites are poor at best.

My 100mb package is dropping to €55, they aren't all that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Interesting to look back at the price and speed over the years from NTL/UPC

Unlimited Cap
    600kb €40.00
    150kb €30.00

Range from 2GB to 40GB cap
    1Mb €20
    2Mb €25
    3Mb €30
    6Mb €40

All 500GB Cap
    12Mb €25
    25Mb €35
    50Mb €45
    100Mb €65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

DingDong wrote: »
    Interesting to look back at the price and speed over the years from NTL/UPC

Unlimited Cap
    600kb €40.00
    150kb €30.00

Range from 2GB to 40GB cap
    1Mb €20
    2Mb €25
    3Mb €30
    6Mb €40

All 500GB Cap
    12Mb €25
    25Mb €35
    50Mb €45
    100Mb €65
    2011 - this will be changed in September again
    All 500GB Cap
    20Mb(12Mb) €25
    25Mb €35
    50Mb €45
    100Mb €55(€65)
    I'm sure there will be a couple changes in between as well

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jinx9000

yup, as stated, would be interesting to note 'can we' and how easy would they make it to downgrade. I don't need 25mb, 12mb for €25 would be fine

i'm nearly sure i signed up for a 12 month contract last november which enabled me to get the box for free (do i own the box after 12 months and therfore can drop down a tier into the bracket where they did not supply the box for free?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Hey what's he story with this increase? I normally pay the €7.75+€35 a month totalling €42.75 for 20mb, going by the letter I'll be getting 25mb with 500gb usage for the same price or am I missin something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

I don't know what you said there to be honest.Are you posting off a Android?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭granturismo

Leeg17 wrote: »
    I normally pay the €7.75+€35 a month totalling €42.75 for 20mb, ...?

€7.75+€35.00=€42.75

If I read the previous posts right, UPC are giving a compulsory upgrade for 20M users and increasing the price per month by €3? and no other price increase?

thanks

i think € = . you might be right about the android thing though, they do do some funny things with text formatting sometimes. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

iPod ya mad yoke lol.

Ye e42.75 is what I'm normally paying, but going by the letter the price isn't going up for me ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Leeg17 wrote: »
    iPod ya mad yoke lol.

Ye e42.75 is what I'm normally paying, but going by the letter the price isn't going up for me ?

You're paying 7.75 for the standalone charge. Get the basic phone for 6 euros and they'll remove the standalone saving you 1.75 per month :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I got a letter stating a monthly charge of €3.30 will be applied for "Call Barring". Does anyone know if this can be removed? I'll ring them but want to hear the skinny here first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭zacseph

Well, I upgraded to add digital tv to my broadband about 2 or 3 months back (was gonna get the bundle with phone too, but was told that's only for new customers)... and now they're telling us the broadband is going up... If I wanted to, would I be entitled to cancel my service with them without a termination charge, since they're changing the terms now??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

So with the price increase. Are we entitled to get out of contract?

zacseph wrote: »
    (was gonna get the bundle with phone too, but was told that's only for new customers)
    officially yes, but plenty of people here (including me) are existing custmers who complained about the bundles not being available to existing customers and UPC have moved us to the bundle deals without question.

as for the getting out of the contract early thing, yes you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

2011 - this will be changed in September again
    All 500GB Cap
    20Mb(12Mb) €25
    25Mb €35
    50Mb €45
    100Mb €55(€65)
    I'm sure there will be a couple changes in between as well

Just a question about this, you list the price as being 20Mb for €25. In the letter I got saying the speed was to be upgraded from 15Mb to 20Mb, the price seemed to be €31 ... Or did I Misread it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I got a letter this morning saying my price is decreasing. Broadband and phone (Freetime World) is currently €57, and it's going down to €55. I just checked my account online, and apparently one of my products is this call baring too. Currently that is not charged for, and I never requested it, but they are going to start charging €3.30 from September. You can't remove this online either, so I may ring them. I'm going to ask them what it even is, as I've no idea.

For those that asked about the new bundle charges, and were told that it was for new customers only, ring them up and ask to speak to customer loyalty. They can move you to the new bundle prices, which can save you significant amounts of money.

jor el wrote: »
    I got a letter this morning saying my price is decreasing. Broadband and phone (Freetime World) is currently €57, and it's going down to €55. I just checked my account online, and apparently one of my products is this call baring too. Currently that is not charged for, and I never requested it, but they are going to start charging €3.30 from September. You can't remove this online either, so I may ring them. I'm going to ask them what it even is, as I've no idea.

For those that asked about the new bundle charges, and were told that it was for new customers only, ring them up and ask to speak to customer loyalty. They can move you to the new bundle prices, which can save you significant amounts of money.

Me too.
    And thanks for the 3.30 pointer.
    Stealthy way to take more of your money without letting you know. Under-handed as usual from UPC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I rang a/c enquiries about the Call Barring (it showed up on MyUPC for me as well even though I didn't want it). The lady I spoke to checked my a/c at her end and said I did not have it. Time will tell I suppose. It might just be a website glitch.

Advertisement