Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WikiLeaks & Sinn Fein

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Nodin wrote: »
    Theres nothing in that post linking the PIRA to the drug trade....
    Word games and semantics again - there's a surprise. Well in that case there's nothing linking Fianna Failure to any form of corruption whatsoever in the Irish state, is there?

Rebelheart - great news, I've found what the Shinners/IRA said after they murdered those kids in Warrington:
    Casualties have also been increased lately because the warnings telephoned in by the I.R.A. often are late or have incomplete or misleading information, the authorities say. This is denied by the I.R.A.
    In the Warrington case, the authorities said the warning was telephoned in to an emergency help line, saying only that a bomb had been placed outside a Boots pharmacy. The police searched a Boots pharmacy in Liverpool, but the bomb went off near a Boots pharmacy in Warrington, 16 miles away.

In a statement acknowledging the act, the I.R.A. said it "profoundly" regretted the death and injuries but charged that the responsibility "lies squarely at the door of those in the British authorities who deliberately failed to act on precise and adequate warnings."
    I just knew it was the fault of the Brits! Sure, any reasonable person can see that placing bombs inside cast-iron litter bins (to ensure a large amount of deadly shrapnel) in the middle of shopping area full of mothers and children and then sending a confused 'warning' 12 minutes before they detonate is perfectly reasonable behaviour. Clearly the British Police have blood on their hands for the death of Jonathan Bell (aged 3), as do the doctors who failed to save Tim Parry (12).

At least their parents have the comfort of knowing they died in a war. Do they give campaign medals to three-year-olds?

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F0CE3D71E3FF935A15750C0A965958260

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Word games and semantics again - ........

No, theres nothing there linking the PIRA to the drug trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Well in that case there's nothing linking Fianna Failure to any form of corruption whatsoever in the Irish state, is there?

There is actually. A few of them even went to jail over it. How many IRA Volunteers have been convicted of drug offences?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Word games and semantics again - there's a surprise. Well in that case there's nothing linking Fianna Failure to any form of corruption whatsoever in the Irish state, is there?

No it isn't. Members of FF have been imprisoned and investigated in Tribunal for corruption.

No IRA volunteer has ever been convicted of a drugs offence.

Now considering people like you are claiming they run the entire Irish trade in pills and potions, thats a difficult square to circle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

No it isn't. Members of FF have been imprisoned and investigated in Tribunal for corruption.

No IRA volunteer has ever been convicted of a drugs offence.

Now considering people like you are claiming they run the entire Irish trade in pills and potions, thats a difficult square to circle.
    Is there a list of IRA volunteers available we can check k this against?

I'm kind if guessing here, but I presume that they don't tend to list International Terrorist on their census returns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I honestly don't understand where this drug stuff comes from, there is ample verifiable things to bash the provos about.

Is there a list of IRA volunteers available we can check k this against?

I'm kind if guessing here, but I presume that they don't tend to list International Terrorist on their census returns.

You know thats a cop out.

If a member of the IRA was arrested with no tax on his car the papers ran it.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Lonesome Boatman

FTA69 wrote: »
    There is actually. A few of them even went to jail over it. How many IRA Volunteers have been convicted of drug offences?

None.

You know thats a cop out.

If a member of the IRA was arrested with no tax on his car the papers ran it.

So how many volunteers have arrested for driving without tax? How many have been done for speeding?

How many have been done for diesel smuggling?

• Advertisement

How many have been done for diesel smuggling?

Loads. Thats my point. We can state as a deduced piece of reasoning that before the folded the Provisionals were involved in smuggling of diesel.

The same cannot be said about drugs. Its lazy repetition of tabloid nonsense from the Thatcher 'criminalisation' phase. No politician or policeman ever made the accusation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

http://theirishobserver.blogspot.com/2010/09/dissidents-provisional-ira-and-drug.html

Monday, September 27, 2010

Dissidents, Provisional IRA and Drug Dealers team up to profit from Criminality

Dissidents, Provisional IRA and Drug Dealers team up to profit from criminality.

During the embryonic years of the ‘peace-process’ when Provisional IRA murders and other criminality were viewed as ‘internal-housekeeping’ by the British and Irish Governments entrepreneurial terrorists made fortunes. While the terrorists continue to make vast sums of money from open criminality, the Gardai can now pursue that criminality in a way that they could not as the Government tried and succeeded in corralling Sinn Fein into the democratic process. However, people who would continue to be viewed as PIRA members are continuing to make vast sums of money from criminality. These PIRA members who have not joined any ‘dissident’ group have now teamed up with ‘dissidents’ and other criminal gangs to maximize their profits. Dublin’s north inner city is now home to an alliance of some of Ireland’s most seasoned and ruthless terrorists and drug dealing criminals. On an almost daily basis these terrorists distribute drugs, illegal cigarettes, fuel, counterfeit CDs/DVDs while at the same time planning and carrying out armed robberies where and when possible.

While the Celtic Tiger roared around the country in October 2006 few even blinked at what was a significant Garda raid in the leafy suburb of Rathfarnham in Dublin. The Gardai raided a very fine house that was nestled among the manicured lawns and polished BMWs of the up market Rathfarnham suburb. The house with a market value of at least two million Euro at that time was not the home of a property speculator or banking executive, but was one of the many properties owned by the Officer Commanding the Provisional IRA in Dublin. The OC of the PIRA in Dublin was a close working associate of one of Dublin’s most notorious or now infamous criminals, Christy Griffin. In 2006 a feud had broken out in the north inner city of Dublin, after it emerged that Christy Griffin had been accused of raping his girlfriend’s daughter since she was a toddler.

When the Gardai searched this fine house they were looking for a stash of hand grenades that had been sent from the PIRA in Belfast to a PIRA member in Dublin who was heavily involved in the bloody feud surrounding Griffin. There had been two hand grenade attacks before the Gardai raid on the house, the grenades were traced back to similar devices that had been used in Belfast. During this period and for many years before, the IRA’s commanding officer in Dublin had been involved in large scale high-jackings from the lucrative DublinPort. The PIRA leader had inside men at DublinPort and these men would identify large shipments of high value goods that would be easy to dispose of on the black market; cigarettes were a particular favorite as they could be sold in the markets and pubs around Dublin. The IRA Commander and his drug dealing associates were making lots of money, and as early as 2001 the IRA Commander who had no visible means of income bought the house in Rathfarnham for 900,000 Euro. The IRA Commander also bought himself a holiday home in Wexford and this house was close to another house that had just been bought by his sister-in-law. His sister-in-law was living in Wexford with a former PIRA prisoner, all of the members of this closely net group where heavily involved with Sinn Fein.

While this criminal empire headed up by the PIRA Commander in Dublin and the Christy Griffin gang were allowed to operate without constraint as the peace process was finding its feet, their multi-million Euro robberies were starting to cause problems for both the Sinn Fein leadership and the Fianna Fail Government who had lead them into democratic politics. The Gallahers cigarette company had informed the Irish Government that it could no longer transport its cigarettes through south Armagh or DublinPort due to the high number of PIRA high-jackings. The security services on both sides of the border felt that their hands were tied as any significant move against the IRA could not go ahead without political sanction. However, Michael Mc Dowell who was then Minister for Justice began to make public pronouncements that warned the Sinn Fein leadership that the honey-moon period was over and the State was going to take direct action against PIRA criminality. The Sinn Fein/IRA leadership was forced to close down its Dublin operation, the Provisional IRA Commander continued to maintain his business links with the drug dealers, but he was told that his association with the IRA would be denied if he ever appeared before a court for his criminal activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1337467/The-IRA-and-the-Colombian-connection.html

The IRA and the Colombian connection

By Jeremy McDermott in Bogota and Toby Harnden in Washington 12:01AM BST 15 Aug 2001

THE case of the "Bogota Three" is not the first time the Provisional IRA have been linked to Colombia or the lucrative drugs trade that Irish republicans vehemently condemn in public.

During last year's trial of three IRA members in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, details emerged of a huge arms cache in Colombia that the Provisional leadership wanted to transport to Ireland in 1999.

Although very few IRA members are directly involved in drug dealing in Northern Ireland, RUC and Army intelligence officers state that the organisation "licenses" drug dealers in nationalist areas and takes a portion of their profits.

In 1996, police traced telephone calls from the IRA members who bombed Manchester city centre to the Co Monaghan home of a man who was later convicted of manufacturing ecstasy tablets for a Dublin gang.

And in July 1999, as part of an international security operation following the discovery of a gun-running conspiracy centred in Florida, the Irish police arrested Robert Flint, a 55-year-old Californian, in Galway.

junder wrote: »
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1337467/The-IRA-and-the-Colombian-connection.html

The IRA and the Colombian connection

By Jeremy (......)-year-old Californian, in Galway.

'IRA man knew man who knew man who was Nazi sympathiser during war shock'

And of course, it is pure coincidence that Irish drug dealers are using pipe bombs. Sure, don't all drug gangs use them?

And of course, it is pure coincidence that Irish drug dealers are using pipe bombs. Sure, don't all drug gangs use them?
    You do know what a pipe bomb is yes? Not exactly hard to make one.

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    You do know what a pipe bomb is yes? Not exactly hard to make one.

Is it? I wouldn't know.

There is plenty of drug dealers in London and yet none of them seem to use that mode of killing people.

The pipe bomb is more associated with loyalist groups. By your 'logic' that would imply its the UVF/UDA to blame for it. I'd suggest to you - and the rest - that either you come back with something substantial, or drop it.

Is it? I wouldn't know.

There is plenty of drug dealers in London and yet none of them seem to use that mode of killing people.
    A pipe bomb is just that, a sealed pipe, a fuse and a small amount of explosive in it.

A look at the wiki page would tell you more if you are interested(I looked it up a while back as I too was confused as to what exactly a pipebomb consisted of and how come so many groups use it)

• Advertisement

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    A pipe bomb is just that, a sealed pipe, a fuse and a small amount of explosive in it.

A look at the wiki page would tell you more if you are interested(I looked it up a while back as I too was confused as to what exactly a pipebomb consisted of and how come so many groups use it)
    MI5 already have your details!

MI5 already have your details!
    No, I AM M15 and I am gonna see who takes the bait!

Oh crap..

Bernard Dempsey, former boss of IRA in inner city Dublin, Sinn Fein activist - was his murder conviction drugs related? Executing a man who exposed him for taking drug money is not drug-related? :confused: Perhaps in the topsy-turvy world of SF/IRA. Ask a normal person, see what they think.

Were those Fianna Failures jailed for their corruption paid-up members of Fianna Failure at the time?

Still hoping to hear what our Shinner contributors have to say on this stuff...
    Still not a word about Sinn Fein/IRA drug profiteering, racketeering and the murders of McCartney, Curran, or the intimidation of families and witnesses.

Bernard Dempsey, former boss of IRA in inner city Dublin, Sinn Fein activist - was his murder conviction drugs related? ......?

I gave you a help there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

The pipe bomb is more associated with loyalist groups. By your 'logic' that would imply its the UVF/UDA to blame for it. I'd suggest to you - and the rest - that either you come back with something substantial, or drop it.
    Eh? The pipe bomb is not associated with Loyalists. All sides of the devide have used it.

I gave you a help there...
    Yes, and Ivor Callely is a former member of Fianna Failure too. That puts them in the clear for his shenanigans, doesn't it? And Liam Lawlor is a former member of Fianna Failure too. No link there.

I think you will find that Bernard Dempsey was an active member of Sinn Fein when he executed that man. When the IRA start publishing their memebership info, we can make a more thorough check of your claim that none of them have ever been involved in drugs.

Yes, and Ivor Callely is a former member of Fianna Failure too. That puts them in the clear for his shenanigans, doesn't it? And Liam Lawlor is a former member of Fianna Failure too. No link there.

I think you will find that Bernard Dempsey was an active member of Sinn Fein when he executed that man. When the IRA start publishing their memebership info, we can make a more thorough check of your claim that none of them have ever been involved in drugs.

I said there was no evidence the PIRA had ever been involved in the drugs trade. The odd ex-member may have gone astray, but it was never an activity that the organisation was involved in or condoned in any way, shape or form.

I said there was no evidence the Fianna Fail Party had ever been involved in corruption. The odd ex-member may have gone astray, but it was never an activity that the organisation was involved in or condoned in any way, shape or form.
    See what I did there.

• Advertisement

See what I did there.

Yes, its an unapt metaphor sort of thing. I've seen a lot of them in these kind of threads, because of the lack of evidence of the PIRA being involved in the drug trade means factual information is inevitably absent.. Doubtless we'll see more before the thread is locked.

Advertisement