Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WikiLeaks & Sinn Fein

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

Ha! Wait until we "force" you under "Rome rule!" Then they loyalist pip will squeak:cool:

Sure mate cause the republic of Ireland has such extensive experience in dealing with large scale political unrest, you sure your going to be able cover the costs of policing political unrest what with your banks and politicians screwing your economy up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

junder wrote: »
    Sure mate cause the republic of Ireland has such extensive experience in dealing with large scale political unrest, you sure your going to be able cover the costs of policing political unrest what with your banks and politicians screwing your economy up.

Glad I got my reaction!

Oh how I look forward to the coercion, genuinely cannot wait. You'll be made go to mass every week... and play hurling... and dance at the crossroads. Ah sure it'll be grand.:cool:

Glad I got my reaction!

Oh how I look forward to the coercion, genuinely cannot wait. You'll be made go to mass every week... and play hurling... and dance at the crossroads. Ah sure it'll be grand.:cool:

If you had your way, I am sure that's exactly how it would be.

If you had your way, I am sure that's exactly how it would be.

Yeah, I play Hurling and go to mass LOL... although I do tend to dance at crossroads :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Crossroads do be icy at this time of year. Best stick to Billy Brennans barn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

dlofnep wrote: »
    As long as there are Republicans, there will always be resistance. What's your point?

All political parties in the south aspire to see Irish reunification. The majority of the people on the Island aspire to see it. And it's irrelevant where Ireland is ruled from. It doesn't matter if it's Belfast or Dublin, or Cork or Derry. All political parties would be represented in the parliamentary house.
    The Island will never be at peace. Well, the sort or peace people think will happen if a UI happens. Right or wrong. There will always be resistence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

KeithAFC wrote: »
    The Island will never be at peace. Well, the sort or peace people think will happen if a UI happens. Right or wrong. There will always be resistence.

thankfully for you as you are not irish (your words)you wont have to stay here , will you ?

So your united Ireland is only for the Irish?

Yeah, I play Hurling and go to mass LOL... although I do tend to dance at crossroads :o

while you may not force us to go to mass I am sure we would ve forced (or atleast or children will be) to learn Irish and parhaps gealic sports through the republics present school system, moreover if it is up to you and people like you it would be difficult if not impossible to
    Maintain our cultural identy as our parades, loyal orders and flutes bands are banned I am sure it would also be made illegal to fly union flags from our houses, and conisdering the post above I wonder if prussure will
    Be put on us to leave this island.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Lonesome Boatman

while you may not force us to go to mass I am sure we would ve forced (or atleast or children will be) to learn Irish and parhaps gealic sports through the republics present school system, moreover if it is up to you and people like you it would be difficult if not impossible to
    Maintain our cultural identy as our parades, loyal orders and flutes bands are banned I am sure it would also be made illegal to fly union flags from our houses, and conisdering the post above I wonder if prussure will

:pac::pac: Is it not obvious to you that the above posts were tongue in cheek?

Why are you 'sure' your children will be forced to learn Irish, Gaelic sports?

What makes you sure orange parades will be banned?

What makes you think it would be made illegal to fly union flags?

We have seen what happens when a large minority of people are ignored, we will learn from the past.

We seen what happened in 1964 when Ian Paisley demanded that the tricolour be removed from flying and fanned the flames of bigotry.

We will learn from the past. :) Unionists will be welcome in a united Ireland and unionist culture would be an integral part of Irish society.

But it needs to be a two way street and im not sure it will be with this 'resistance' you speak of. Sounds like anti democratic borderline fascism to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Gaelic sports wouldn't be forced upon anyone as you can tell by the thousands of obese children in the republic.

You do raise a good point about being forced to learn Irish though. I wish advocates of compulsory Irish in schools would properly clarify their position on compulsory Irish in a united Ireland

I hate the GAA, I was never forced to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Gaelic sports are dying on their arses. If a school doesn't offer them now, they are unlikely to offer them going forward. Entirely at a schools discretion

Irish language is an interesting one. Its as core a part of the curriculum as maths. Interesting that you see it as politicised.

As per banning parades and flags, they aren't currently banned in the Republic, why would we ban them in the future.

I am sure it would also be made illegal to fly union flags from our houses,

I'm sure it wouldn't be illegal but no one flies the unification flag (the tri-colour :)) outside their houses. It's seen as a bit of a neo-fascist practice. That's not an attempt to claim that all north of Ireland people are fascists by the way, it's just flags are generally only flown outside pubs, government buildings or party HQs. It is the exact same in your beloved Britain.

Gaelic sports are dying on their arses. If a school doesn't offer them now, they are unlikely to offer them going forward. Entirely at a schools discretion

Ha! 82,000 at all Ireland final. About the same as the the big internationals at Croker. Hardly dying on its arse, coming from someone who doesn't play for a G.A.A. team or anything (me).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Di0genes

I'm sure it wouldn't be illegal but no one flies the unification flag (the tri-colour :)) outside their houses. It's seen as a bit of a neo-fascist practice. That's not an attempt to claim that all north of Ireland people are fascists by the way, it's just flags are generally only flown outside pubs, government buildings or party HQs. It is the exact same in your beloved Britain.

Never been in the UK during the World Cup. Every van has a Georges Cross.

Ha! 82,000 at all Ireland final. About the same as the the big internationals at Croker. Hardly dying on its arse, coming from someone who doesn't play for a G.A.A. team or anything (me).

People watching it is remaining stable alright. Playing it is a different matter.

People watching it is remaining stable alright. Playing it is a different matter.

Is it?

Di0genes wrote: »
    Never been in the UK during the World Cup. Every van has a Georges Cross.

That's a little bit different to a cold January morning now, is it not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Is it true you will hang if you fight the IRA?

• Advertisement

:pac::pac: Is it not obvious to you that the above posts were tongue in cheek?

Why are you 'sure' your children will be forced to learn Irish, Gaelic sports?

What makes you sure orange parades will be banned?

What makes you think it would be made illegal to fly union flags?

We have seen what happens when a large minority of people are ignored, we will learn from the past.

We seen what happened in 1964 when Ian Paisley demanded that the tricolour be removed from flying and fanned the flames of bigotry.

We will learn from the past. :) Unionists will be welcome in a united Ireland and unionist culture would be an integral part of Irish society.

But it needs to be a two way street and im not sure it will be with this 'resistance' you speak of. Sounds like anti democratic borderline fascism to me.

I am aware that he's was attempting to be humorous

Is it?

Aye these days a kid is more likely to play xbox than a sport

Is it?

Yes. Gah playing numbers are through the floor. More people play football than hurling and gaelic combined and indeed more play basketball in Dublin than hurl.

But thats an aside. I'm more getting at the paranoia that Junder believes the state force schoolkids to play anything. He has a very out there understanding of minority rights in the 26 counties, which are protected much more than minorities in the 6.

Yes. Gah playing numbers are through the floor. More people play football than hurling and gaelic combined and indeed more play basketball in Dublin than hurl.

But thats an aside. I'm more getting at the paranoia that Junder believes the state force schoolkids to play anything. He has a very out there understanding of minority rights in the 26 counties, which are protected much more than minorities in the 6.

So our children won't be forced to learn Irish in your school system?

I'd like a source for this, it's interesting.

Ah yes of course. They are 100% in favour of state sponsored sectarianism when it suits them.

So our children won't be forced to learn Irish in your school system?

As it stands, yes they would.

Does that mean you accept the rest of your list was paranoid nonsense?

I'd like a source for this, it's interesting.

ERSI annual report on sports participation trends.

CSO quarterly report playing levels.

That's not a link.

Not necessarily, I imagine they would be exempt, my mate from england who moved here never had to do Irish, legally this would be the same thing would it not?

• Advertisement

I just have to read the posts on this site whenever the subject of the orange order or flute bands comes up to know how much our culture would be tolerated. Some of you can not even accept that we are not and do not wish to be Irish, moreover some of you have implied that we should leave this island in the event of you ever achieving your so called 'united ireland' because we do not wish to be defined as Irish. Am I being paranoid, don't think so

Advertisement