Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WikiLeaks & Sinn Fein

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

KeithAFC wrote: »
    So why did she mention the Orange Order then?

Because she is a dope?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Because she is a dope?
    It seems some people in the republic can't tell the difference between the Orange Order and a band parade. Iv tried many times on this forum to tell people about the difference but no one listens.:confused:

It seems some people in the republic can't tell the difference between the Orange Order and a band parade. Iv tried many times on this forum to tell people about the difference but no one listens.:confused:

I don't disagree with that.

But you have displayed a bit of ignorance yourself about what you percieve to be Irish Nationalist culture...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

There seems to be a number of people who seem to think that Republicanism involves nothing but catholicism, the GAA and the Irish language, when in fact belonging to, and speaking it, is not a requirement. C'est la guerre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Lads OhNoYouDidn't was only talking about playing numbers as another poster questioned if all children would have to play in a united Ireland.

Yes the GAA is hugely popular and is growing so around the world not just the island. Domestically the playing numbers like every sport are however dwindling.

Computer games to blame IMO
    That's nonsense. I've been hearing that since I was knee-high to a grasshopper. Can anyone name a country where it is played in any serious numbers? I know it's not in the US or UK, any more than other tiny minority sports.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

That's nonsense. I've been hearing that since I was knee-high to a grasshopper. Can anyone name a country where it is played in any serious numbers? I know it's not in the US or UK, any more than other tiny minority sports.

Argentina

paky wrote: »
    Argentina
    I lived in Argentina for a while. Did I see any GAA? Not a whisper. Please post some sort of facts or figures, not just names of countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Stanard media blurb from the GAA. Swiftly followed by the fact that ALL sacar fans are hooligans. Thankfully, most run of the mill GAA people are down to earth people who know better. Recently met a GAA club from Galway who were travelling to watch Liverpool for their annual getaway. Nice people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

It is hugely popular here and is growing in other countries, yeah, small numbers but that is still growing, I'm not trying to let on its a massive supersport bigger than rugby or soccer so keep your hair on.

Weird you would pick up on that comment as I was actually pointing out its decline as a played sport in Ireland. Which from a my point of view as a nutritionist is a great shame. Would love to see if it has anything to do with our overweight/obese levels being slightly less than that of Britains

Weird you would pick up on that comment as I was actually pointing out its decline as a played sport in Ireland.
    Fair enough, but as I said I've no evidence and no reason to believe it is anything but a tiny minority sport elsewhere, and is if anything shrinking as genuinely international field sports like rugby grow.

It's one of these myths that seems to have become so entrenched in the Irish psyche that people actually believe it's true, like the 'best education in the world' and half a dozen other canards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Well its hardly peaceful when they march in Belfast now, is it....

There is violence on the odd occassion but the vast majority of marches (95%+) pass off peaceful. Things have quietened down remarkably over the past few years.

For the record, I dont live in NI but comments of this nature have been passed to me from those who live on both sides of the divide.

COYW wrote: »
    There is violence on the odd occassion but the vast majority of marches (95%+) pass off peaceful. Things have quietened down remarkably over the past few years.

For the record, I dont live in NI but comments of this nature have been passed to me from those who live on both sides of the divide.
    Well don't let actual information get in the way of predjudice - plenty here don't :pac::pac::pac:

It is hugely popular here and is growing in other countries, yeah, small numbers but that is still growing, I'm not trying to let on its a massive supersport bigger than rugby or soccer so keep your hair on.

Weird you would pick up on that comment as I was actually pointing out its decline as a played sport in Ireland. Which from a my point of view as a nutritionist is a great shame. Would love to see if it has anything to do with our overweight/obese levels being slightly less than that of Britains

While I agree with you in general about fat kids, the reality is the decline in GAA players has a direct correlation with the increase in football and rugby numbers.

We actually have an exceptionally high sports participation rate in Ireland, which is in spite of itself considering the diabolical investment levels in sports infrastructure.

Well don't let actual information get in the way of predjudice - plenty here don't :pac::pac::pac:

Its not prejudice. 100% of OO marches in the Republic are peaceful. The idea was put forward that Dublin would ban OO marches in a UI is patently bull.

Its not prejudice. 100% of OO marches in the Republic are peaceful. The idea was put forward that Dublin would ban OO marches in a UI is patently bull.
    I was commenting on the post I quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

While I agree with you in general about fat kids, the reality is the decline in GAA players has a direct correlation with the increase in football and rugby numbers.

We actually have an exceptionally high sports participation rate in Ireland, which is in spite of itself considering the diabolical investment levels in sports infrastructure.

That's encouraging to know. Don't care what sports kids do ass long as its something. I wonder is GAA partially(though unintentionally) responsible for our high participation in sports in general.

I mean say a GAA fan father brings his kids to play GAA at an early age for cultural reasons, they may drop out or continue on but having experience with sports I'd imagine much more likely to join a sportsteam when they get to secondary school or uni than someone with no experience of sports as a kid.

That happened with me anyway, played Soccer and Rugby in school after being brought(made?) to play GAA as a kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

That's encouraging to know. Don't care what sports kids do ass long as its something. I wonder is GAA partially(though unintentionally) responsible for our high participation in sports in general.

I mean say a GAA fan father brings his kids to play GAA at an early age for cultural reasons, they may drop out or continue on but having experience with sports I'd imagine much more likely to join a sportsteam when they get to secondary school or uni than someone with no experience of sports as a kid.

That happened with me anyway, played Soccer and Rugby in school after being brought(made?) to play GAA as a kid.

My Dad tried to make me play GAA too, did it for a few years then played rugger instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

I find that very hard to believe.
    Kilmacud Crokes, Naomh Olaf, Ballinteer St. Johns, UCD GAA. Soccer = Lakelands, Mount Merrion and UCD AFC and then rugby, well I guess UCD Rugby. The more further afield beyond that you go, the more of all three you bring in.

Here is your link. 17% of adult males play football (page 13), 8% gaelic and 5% hurling (page 11).

http://www.esri.ie/pdf/BKMNINT180_Main%20Text_Social%20and%20Economic%20Value%20of%20Sport.pdf

[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I'd like to see if that trend has continued since 2004.

In a lot of areas, it is. But in Dublin? The heart of the Republic? Lets not be naive.

Hahaha.

Oasis: If you have a point, please make it. Less of the pointless posting please

• Advertisement

I lived in Argentina for a while. Did I see any GAA? Not a whisper. Please post some sort of facts or figures, not just names of countries.

I spent the Summer in Vancouver. There was a tournament played between north American clubs in Seattle (around the weekend of the 4th of July) and it was only a very recent thing. Hardly the World Cup now but not bad for a bunch of Bishop worshiping Fenians!

Kilmacud Crokes, Naomh Olaf, Ballinteer St. Johns, UCD GAA. Soccer = Lakelands, Mount Merrion and UCD AFC and then rugby, well I guess UCD Rugby. The more further afield beyond that you go, the more of all three you bring in.

You have missed a raft of football clubs in that area. Leicster Celtic, Pegasus, Rathfarnham Punters, Rosemount, Dundrum FC, Knocklyon United etc. There aren't more GAA clubs than football clubs in Dublin 14 / 16. Not by a long shot.

And isn't there a Stillorgan RFC?
    Interesting. I'd like to see if that trend has continued since 2004.

I haven't had time to root out the follow up's, but yes. GAA playing numbers are falling every year.

I spent the Summer in Vancouver. There was a tournament played between north American clubs in Seattle (around the weekend of the 4th of July) and it was only a very recent thing. Hardly the World Cup now but not bad for a bunch of Bishop worshiping Fenians!
    That's a bit more information, but still a tad anecdotal. There's a Highland games tournament in Maxville in Ontario every year, but I wouldn't cite that as a massive growth in caber-tossing :)

But the point is how many players there were non-Irish ex-pats?

Its one thing to have some Irish lads kick a ball round the car park of an Irish bar, its a whole different story having the locals take it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Hahaha.
    What? Having thousands of orange men and Union flags and Ulster banners on show in Dublin and it will be peaceful? Ok..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

Their playing numbers are way down
    Dostoevsky wrote: »
    Could you give the precise ESRI or CSO wording which supports this claim?

You haven't supported your claim.
    the reality is the decline in GAA players has a direct correlation with the increase in football and rugby numbers.

You've already been asked to support your claim that Gaelic games are "dying on their arses"/in decline, and you failed to do so. Any chance you'll give evidence for this supposed "decline"?

In the meantime I found a more recent report on sports participation in Ireland. The ESRI's report on sports participation in Ireland for the Irish Sports Council in 2008:

'Changing Patterns of Social Participation

The GAA remains the predominant organisation for volunteering, although volunteering associated with team sports fell marginally in 2008
    At least one in every seven members of a gym (or health/fitness club) in 2007 gave up their membership in 2008. Lower gym membership and a rise in female GAA members made GAA membership the most common form of club membership again, as it was in 2003.'

http://www.esri.ie/news_events/latest_press_releases/irish_sports_council_publ/index.xml

Dostoevsky wrote: »
    You haven't supported your claim.

You've already been asked to support your claim that Gaelic games are "dying on their arses"/in decline, and you failed to do so. Any chance you'll give evidence for this supposed "decline"?

In the meantime I found a more recent report on sports participation in Ireland. The ESRI's report on sports participation in Ireland for the Irish Sports Council in 2008:

'Changing Patterns of Social Participation

The GAA remains the predominant organisation for volunteering, although volunteering associated with team sports fell marginally in 2008
    At least one in every seven members of a gym (or health/fitness club) in 2007 gave up their membership in 2008. Lower gym membership and a rise in female GAA members made GAA membership the most common form of club membership again, as it was in 2003.'

http://www.esri.ie/news_events/latest_press_releases/irish_sports_council_publ/index.xml

You are talking about membership. Thats entirely different to playing numbers. The headline playing numbers clearly shows the GAA in decline versus other sports.

I have no doubt that the GAA have, by a mile, the largest non playing membership of any sport, but I would question their unsourced number of 700,000 (16% of the entire population) members. Are more people members of the GAA than gyms? Hmmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I think you only have to observe Cuala GAA club in Dalkey on a Saturday morning to see how popular GAA is in south Dublin.

For the heart of west Brit Ireland, it is incredibly popular. Whatever it is they are doing, they are doing it right.

You have missed a raft of football clubs in that area. Leicster Celtic, Pegasus, Rathfarnham Punters, Rosemount, Dundrum FC, Knocklyon United etc. There aren't more GAA clubs than football clubs in Dublin 14 / 16. Not by a long shot.

And isn't there a Stillorgan RFC?

Well if you're going out to Rathfarnham, then Ballyboden and Stars of Erin must be included, as well as Templeogue, Cuala.

Stillorgan Rugby club is the rugby equivalent of Lakelands, they have 2 teams at most.

Rosemount are a schoolboy team, same as Merrion.

I haven't had time to root out the follow up's, but yes. GAA playing numbers are falling every year.

Go to Kilmacud Crokes on a saturday morning and compare it to local soccer teams. It's a completely different level of participation. Admittedly Crokes do draw in more culchies but they have 2 senior teams, 6 Junior teams and 2 teams at least at every group from u-9 to u-14.

Memberships are consistently higher than soccer teams. Team participation was not much lower in 2004 and I don't think John Delaneyesque guess work should be used thereafter.

• Advertisement

What? Having thousands of orange men and Union flags and Ulster banners on show in Dublin and it will be peaceful? Ok..

We don't practice triumphalist parades in Ireland. Progressive societies generally don't. When Britain celebrates victories in the world wars, the greatest known wars in the history of man kind, does it go to German communities and laud it over them? No, the only supposedly British people who are ignorant enough to carry on with such moronically childish behaviour are the Ulster Unionists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIjflE9TVYc&feature=related
    go to 1:10 and set your faces to LOL!

Advertisement