Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

severe weather could be on its way

Options
  • 13-12-2010 3:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

the forecast for next weekend is not good, at the very least it will be very very cold, with possible heavy snowfalls.
    maybe if it does happen we could use the wexford forum to pass on info about road conditions etc. school closurse and the like , what do you all think ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

It's getting so that it is like living in Canada in the winter, only without the financial stability, infrastructure, low crime rate, high employment and the ability to cope with more than 3 flakes of snow

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sallysaucer101

Will there defiently be snow at the weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Met eireann have a new 5-day forecast on their website here:

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp

There will be precipitation on W. coast from say Malin head to Dingle, but very little elsewhere. I expect it will be snow, as it is going to be v. cold.

It will be very cold, esp Thursday night when temps are expected to drop to around -10 inland.

- FoxT

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Being discussed in the weather forum-a good place to check out as the guys on there are very accurate with their forecasts. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056118102

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭smodgley

zerks wrote: »
    Being discussed in the weather forum-a good place to check out as the guys on there are very accurate with their forecasts. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056118102

ohh om never off there now lol, just thought should have a thread here too to stop clogging up the weather thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Now that we've had a taste of real winter, would it be too much to ask supermarkets and retail parks to get their acts together.
    In Gorey, only the Lidl store was approachable without risk of serious bodily harm. Tesco, Pettitts and Aldi were a disgrace and the whole retail park at Dunnes was lethal. I think all these businesses make enough profit out of the consumer to put some effort into clearing their premises. If Lidl can do it, why not the rest?
    Also, given the fact that for a lot of the time trains were the only means of transport, the car park and approaches to Gorey station were particularly bad. As late as last Saturday I ended up on my arse outside the entrance.

bmaxi wrote: »
    Now that we've had a taste of real winter, would it be too much to ask supermarkets and retail parks to get their acts together.
    In Gorey, only the Lidl store was approachable without risk of serious bodily harm. Tesco, Pettitts and Aldi were a disgrace and the whole retail park at Dunnes was lethal. I think all these businesses make enough profit out of the consumer to put some effort into clearing their premises. If Lidl can do it, why not the rest?
    Also, given the fact that for a lot of the time trains were the only means of transport, the car park and approaches to Gorey station were particularly bad. As late as last Saturday I ended up on my arse outside the entrance.

here here very very well said !!!!!!!!!!!!

Just had a scan through the weather forum,according to Met Eireann we could be in for a good dumping of snow from Friday.Time to stock up folks.The NRA also announced shortages of salt (again):( A lot of back roads are still in a bad condition-had fun out by Monart yesterday evening trying to drive on the ice.
    One little rant-why oh why do people insist on crawling along the main roads even though there's no snow or ice?,leads to frustration and crazy overtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

The Met Eireann weather warning is saying snow will mainly affect the North and West but "some falls of snow will occur elsewhere too".

From M.T CRANIUM on the weather thread-trust me,this guy knows his stuff.
    Wednesday, 15 December, 2010

Advance ALERT ... Rapid freeze likely on Thursday morning in north, by afternoon in south; rain showers will turn to sleet, hail and then snow in many places with a sharp drop in temperatures. Roads and pavements will become icy and in some northern counties, also snow-covered, in a matter of an hour or less, leading to dangerous travel conditions. See forecasts for more details on that. Also, 5-15 cms of snow possible in west and north on Thursday and Friday. Further significant snowfalls more widely over the weekend. Details in forecasts.

TODAY ... The calm before the storm, with partly to mostly cloudy skies, slowly strengthening WNW winds at 15-25 mph, and eventually, a few light showers mainly northwest of the Midlands. Rather mild again, with highs in the range of 7-10 C (mildest in coastal Connacht and west Munster).

TONIGHT ... For all but the far north, a mild and cloudy night with periods of rain, not likely to be very heavy (2-4 mms), moderate westerly winds at 20-30 mph, and lows of about 3-5 C. In the far north, these conditions will suddenly change to cold, windy and squally as rain changes to hail and snow. This change will be felt throughout Ulster by about sunrise.

THURSDAY ... The main feature of the day's weather will be a sudden change to much colder, wintry weather. The timing of that change will vary from morning in the mid-north, to late afternoon in the south coastal counties. Before the change, it will continue mild, breezy and showery with temperatures steady 5-8 C. The changeover will involve squally showers, some thunder, turning quickly to hail, sleet and then snow, with roads becoming very icy. Temperatures will fall to -3 C in the north and -1 C in the south. Winds will increase to NW 30-50 mph (gusts to 60 near west, north coasts). Snow may break out over large parts of Connacht and Ulster, spreading at times to West Munster, inland Leinster, with flurries further south and east. The heavier snow could accumulate to 5-10 cms by Thursday night.

THURSDAY NIGHT ... Very cold and windy with temperatures falling to a range of -6 to -3 C inland and east, and near zero C west coast, -2 C south coast. Widespread snow and icy roads, 3-7 cms of snow in all but a few coastal districts where sleety hail or rain showers may mix in. Winds continuing strong, NW 30-50 mph with some higher gusts. Some thunder-snow especially around Mayo, Donegal, Galway, Clare nearby parts of other counties.

FRIDAY ... Windy and very cold, with passing flurries or heavier snow squalls, mixing near west coast at times with hail and sleet. Winds WNW 30-50 mph except NNW 30-50 mph in eastern Ulster. Highs only -2 to +2 C (except possibly 4-5 C in coastal Kerry). Some further snow accumulations mainly north and west to 10 cms, but some snow possible further east and south. Risk of thunder-snow, icy roads widespread, also intervals of blinding sun between showers combining with bright surfaces at this low-sun time of year can be a real hazard.

SATURDAY ... The early morning may be bitterly cold due to some clearing and much lighter winds, but coastal Ulster may see heavy snow, and west coast may see mixed wintry showers. Lows inland, east and south in the range of -4 to -10 C. Around the coasts especially west and north, lows about -2 C. ... During the day, outbreaks of heavy snow, mixing near sea level with sleet, inland accumulations of 5-10 cms likely, winds generally from a westerly direction across the south and from the north or east elsewhere. Highs -3 to +1 C for most.

SUNDAY ... Risk of some moderate or heavy snow with greater accumulations inland from south coast, on higher ground especially, and through the inland southeast, on the east coast and in parts of Ulster (10-15 cms potential in these zones) ... more showery in Connacht, snow amounts 2-5 cms. Very cold with lows near -5 C or lower in some areas, although -2 C south coast, and highs in range -2 to +1 C.

MONDAY ... Further snow likely, 5-15 cms in some areas, may mix with sleet near coasts. Winds becoming rather strong northeast, heavy streamers for Dublin and Wicklow may develop. Very cold with lows near -5 C and highs near -1 C.

TUESDAY ... Snow may end gradually with some wintry sunshine especially in north. Lows -6 C on average, could reach -12 C in parts of Ulster ... highs around -3 C inland to +2 C coasts.

WEDNESDAY ... Wintry sunshine at times, very cold. The morning lows here may be the coldest of this spell (-15 to -10 C potential inland). Highs may not reach freezing in many areas.

OUTLOOK ... Some chance of another wintry storm by Thursday 23rd into Friday 24th (Christmas Eve). A lower chance that this may turn to a milder rain event. Continuing to assess this, models seem challenged at this range. Would count on further cold and snow in the weeks to follow.

The Northwest is first in line but looks like we won't be escaping as the days progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

any snow in north wexford or wicklow yet? Im heading up the m11 later and am wondering should i leave extra early.

WX town is fine btw, cold but roads are bare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭pyzon

Nothing in Arklow so far, heading to mid Wexford in about an hour and don't expect any issues.

pyzon wrote: »
    Nothing in Arklow so far, heading to mid Wexford in about an hour and don't expect any issues.

yeah, i think we'll be ok for the time being,my only worry is slow drivers really. I'll be taking 3 return trips by monday morning so hopefully it'll stay clear until mon afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Ozzie

England got all our snow!! (And they can keep it!!)

i think maybe, tuesday the snow MAY hit wexford

smodgley wrote: »
    i think maybe, tuesday the snow MAY hit wexford

Do you have this weeks lotto numbers-spot on there.It started snowing at 9am in Enniscorthy.Cue the town shutting down for another week.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Chloroplast

it is seriously snowing here in Wexford town rigth now too, id say its nearly worse than the last time.from what i can see, there's lots of people heading out of their homes right now heading to the shops and garages to stock up before it gets to the point where we cant even get out.

Definitely much worse this time in Riverchapel, at least 8 inches and still chucking it down. If the Council's efforts last time around are anything to go by, we'll be out around April.

Would like to congratulate the moron that put on his hazards and decided to drive the wrong way down the overtaking lane at Ferrycarrig in Wexford-he met a truck and only one winner there.Nobody hurt but blocked the entire N11 south and northbound.
    Why does the snow bring the morons out onto the roads (well more often anyway)?

wx town was very bad earlier but is fine now, hills and all, fair play to the council, they were out quick and gritted well.
    I'd be interested in knowing what the m11 is like tomorrow afternoon/ evening, have to be in north wicklow for 9pm

• Advertisement

Murtinho wrote: »
    wx town was very bad earlier but is fine now, hills and all, fair play to the council, they were out quick and gritted well.
    I'd be interested in knowing what the m11 is like tomorrow afternoon/ evening, have to be in north wicklow for 9pm

Wicklow getting a serious amount of snow according to the weather threads.Allow a lot of time for travelling.

I have to say, having been critical in the past, the authorities seem to have got their act together this time. Gorey/Courtown road open, ploughed and gritted. Most of the roads in Courtown/Riverchapel ploughed and gritted.
    I think a lot of credit is also due to local traders, farmers and the Community Council. The Co. Council left piles of grit around the place but not many of us have the means of transporting or spreading it. Well done to all involved.

Advertisement