Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual Sim Legality

Options
  • 13-12-2010 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭

I was looking into buying a dual sim phone at the weekedn, but the guy at the counter (carphone warehouse) told me that, long story short, there is a legal issue here that is resulting in them not being available here.

He said that networks don't want to sell them because they don't want someone to have the option of two networks.
    The whole thing sounds fishy to me.

Is there anyone here that has one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I was looking into buying a dual sim phone at the weekedn, but the guy at the counter (carphone warehouse) told me that, long story short, there is a legal issue here that is resulting in them not being available here.

He said that networks don't want to sell them because they don't want someone to have the option of two networks.

The guy does not know what he is talking about.

Most phone (except SIM free phone) are sold by the networks, and sometimes subsidies them.

None of the networks (for obvious reasons) seem interested in selling dual-sim phones, so it's down to independent retailers, of which CPW is the only one, but they make most of their revenue friom the networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

Dual SIM phones are perfectly "legal". They're no different than buying two SIM-free handsets and running two mobile accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

The guy does not know what he is talking about.

Most phone (except SIM free phone) are sold by the networks, and sometimes subsidies them.

None of the networks (for obvious reasons) seem interested in selling dual-sim phones, so it's down to independent retailers, of which CPW is the only one, but they make most of their revenue friom the networks.

Haha, so only independant retailer likely to have them, is the one that gave me a load of BS.
    Brilliant.

So what other independant retailers are likely to have them?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

Id say the reasons are fairly obvious, they only want you using the one network (theirs obv.)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Try XtraVision for a Dual-sim phone. They stock a Samsung one. Don't know the model tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Wait for the nokia C2

Gooch2k4 wrote: »
    Id say the reasons are fairly obvious, they only want you using the one network (theirs obv.)

Yeah but this is silly, I may very well use two sims from the same network.
    And if I wasn't, I would still be using atleast one of their sims, so they would still get their network charges and much of the call charges.

Furthermore, if they were arsed, they could simply sell the phone with two of their own sims, offer some unique price plan etc...
    Davy wrote:
    Wait for the Nokia C2
    When is that being released?

Yeah but this is silly, I may very well use two sims from the same network.
    And if I wasn't, I would still be using atleast one of their sims, so they would still get their network charges and much of the call charges.

Furthermore, if they were arsed, they could simply sell the phone with two of their own sims, offer some unique price plan etc...

When is that being released?
    Yeah but your spending stuff you would otherwise spend with them, as for the second sim being the same network, the main reason people use dual sim phones is to make things cheaper

• Advertisement

Gooch2k4 wrote: »
    Yeah but your spending stuff you would otherwise spend with them, as for the second sim being the same network, the main reason people use dual sim phones is to make things cheaper

Is it?

I thought it was to save you carrying two phones around if you have a work phone too.

the more common reason would be for expense anyway imo

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

I assume the legal issue is to do with chinese phones being unregulated, having no imei and being rip offs of other phones

jumbone wrote: »
    I assume the legal issue is to do with chinese phones being unregulated, having no imei and being rip offs of other phones

I don't know much about those issues beyond the fact that I won't buy anything Chinese unless it is served with rice.

If I was to get one I would get one via a reputable source.

Ah jaysus.
    I'm currently using a 6500 Classic.

That's such a step down, I think I'll just leave it.
    Thanks for the info though.

Advertisement