Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe weather: Snow and Ice and sub zero temperatures from Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

will east clare get some of the white stuff?
    il go fupping mad if we are the only area not to get it again.

That would be an ecumenical matter...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

The ECM shows a massive snowstorm over the weekend and Wexford has the best seat in the house.:D

*Must control excitement*

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

It does seem that met eireann are being overly cautious about issuing warnings , all the models are basically in agreement about this 72 hrs out but as many have said on here before snowfall is hard to predict so maybe most of the country will just have very cold temperatures and very little snow and the met may know something that we do not. Also can anybody remember when the met gave out a warning 3 days before it was due to happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

they want people out shopping, thats the problem...

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Watched the BBC weather this evening and I quote her "The Floodgates Will Open" as bitterly cold weather sweeps in from the North plunging down the temp and bringing lots of snow so she issued a weather warning for the UK and Northern Ireland, the chart showed snow all over Ireland with -8 temps. Then watched RTE Weather what f....ng planet are they on.

Maybe its BBC that have it all wrong and that met eireann are on the ball?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

BEASTERLY wrote: »

Well I guess BBC are goin by the models which would indicate snowmageddon!! So BBC are right!!! Haha:D hopefully...

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

:pac::pac::pac::pac: You so crazy......

Imagine it were true though :eek:

Oh lads I really want Evelyn to give the forecast after the 9 news - then we would know what we are in for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭De Dannan

But surely BBC and RTE or ME are all looking at the same charts :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

What's wrong with ME. Why don't they just say it as it is, That there is snow most likely in some parts of the country but there is a chance of a large snow fall for most parts and to keep informed by the day to day forecasts.

We aren't stupid, we know its a prediction and not set in stone but people need to aware of the POSSIBLE big snow that could fall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭carlmwan

Do yous rember the cold spell in november ME didnt have any warnings but the BBC did and who was right (the BBC):) ME just wanna be 100% because i Dublin doesnt get any snow there will be murder :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Spent the past few days warning people about the weather that is heading our way......Then met eireann makes a liar out of me!
    Everyone thinks i'm gone potty!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

Hi. I dont want to clog up this thread with questions about travel if this 'event' happens. So I was wondering if there were any threads in relation to this, particularly travel from the UK that I could be pointed to? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

they never get it right on the tv
    this is why i come here they are always right top marks to the weather buffs here.... keep up the good work:D:D:D:D:D:D

De Dannan wrote: »
    But surely BBC and RTE or ME are all looking at the same charts :confused:

We'll have to wait and see I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

In fairness to ME, on RTE Radio one before 6 he did say there would be widespread snow the weekend, apart from the girl on the TV after the news

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Yes, well done to everyone. I have been following the posts all day..
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

aurora 527 wrote: »
    Spent the past few days warning people about the weather that is heading our way......Then met eireann makes a liar out of me!
    Everyone thinks i'm gone potty!!!

yup thats happened to me too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭De Dannan

In fairness to ME, on RTE Radio one before 6 he did say there would be widespread snow the weekend, apart from the girl on the TV after the news

Ok. We need Evelyn to sort all this out , hopefully after the news tonight :D

That's kinda stupid isn't it - you'd think they'd all be on the same page with regard to what they're going to say when giving forecasts! They do work for the same company!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

carlmwan wrote: »
    Do yous rember the cold spell in november ME didnt have any warnings but the BBC did and who was right (the BBC):) ME just wanna be 100% because i Dublin doesnt get any snow there will be murder :rolleyes:

It happens the other way around too tbh, I've seen ME hold back and the Eagle down play what the BBC were Big-upping for the UK and the Eagle has been correct more often than not for here anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

It nearly killed me but I showed restraint...they already think I'm a bit of a nutter as it is, this would have confirmed it beyond all reasonable doubt.

normal is boring:D

piskins72 wrote: »
    yup thats happened to me too!

My parents think I'm a complete nutjob! Please let me prove them wrong, PLEASE!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

There are a lot of new posters here at the moment (in fact i'm relatively new myself!) and ye need to understand that when it comes to snow in ireland, downgrades, sleet, freezing rain and snow shields are rampant. Met eireann are 100% right not to give warnings yet, due to the fact that a large amount of people will here the word snow and panic. Moving is set in stone yet, for all we know things could change radically before the weekend. Yes, it is wise to be well prepared and to warm others about the POSSIBILITY of severe weather, but IT IS NOT GUARANTEED YET!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

leahyl wrote: »
    That's kinda stupid isn't it - you'd think they'd all be on the same page with regard to what they're going to say when giving forecasts! They do work for the same company!

The TV forecast is probably prepared sometime previously so computer graphics and the presenters script, etc is all good to go.

The radio forecast is probably more in the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

so whats the story with the 20th or 21st everyone said will be the big one to watch is this still going to happen??also have we a chance of a white xmas still :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

davidsr20 wrote: »
    so whats the story with the 20th or 21st everyone said will be the big one to watch is this still going to happen??also have we a chance of a white xmas still :)

As said all day on this thread nobody knows yet, just keep checking the thread for updates during the week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

snow ghost wrote: »
    It happens the other way around too tbh, I've seen ME hold back and the Eagle down play what the BBC were Big-upping for the UK and the Eagle has been correct more often than not for here anyway.

the bbc is saying snow will mainly fall on eastern areas of uk with western areas seeing above normal sunshine and primarily dry weather for the week from saturday.

they are also forecasting rain for thursday and apossibility of snow showers on friday.

they also add the provisio that a change in wind direction by a few degrees could change everything.

Looking at met eireann, they are forecasting almost the same as bbc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,514 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

This business about "rain" on Thursday is going to be misleading to many, because it's more likely to be brief showers of various types, breaking out in advance of the strong arctic front that will be (according to present guidance) moving through Ulster during the early morning, east-west across central Ireland by late morning and clearing the south coast by mid-afternoon. Yes, it may rain briefly before this arrives, and when it does arrive there could be very squally showers of hail, ice pellets, rain or snow, with thunder and strong wind gusts. That may be hit or miss and we'll be essentially radar watching and nowcasting that part, I think. A short time after the front passes, northern counties and some western counties will be getting sea effect streamers that will contain hail and snow mostly, can't rule out rain right along the coasts at sea level because the ocean temperatures for a thousand miles of "fetch" will be 8-11 C but these streamers will be fairly powerful and make long inroads possibly as far as Athlone to about Newry from a northwest direction. Remnant flurries from these streamers could arrive further east and south. But it is likely to remain fairly dry behind this front in most of the east and south until later in the outbreak when the wind field changes around to more of an east or southeast fetch.

Someone was asking about the 20-21 Dec dates, those are from my research and it still looks quite likely that any eventual snowstorm may begin on the late 18th or 19th and last into that time frame, so it's basically that event just bigger and better. These energy waves in the research have five to ten day life cycles and so I am always estimating potential time windows based on the most likely timing for Ireland and the U.K. from past analogues. In this case, one past analogue was the strong storm that hit around 29-30 Dec last year. That one tried to push mild air back from the south, ran out of steam and had to circle back around to escape the wrath of Ireland's snow lovers who wanted a cold northeast wind instead. This time, we are working on integrating the two concepts. Stay tuned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cabot

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement