Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe weather: Snow and Ice and sub zero temperatures from Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

I don't know whether there is any truth in the rumour that Gerry Murphy and Jean Byrne are recording a cover version of the below video as a special snomaggeddon warning to be played tomorrow after 6.1 news, given the gravity of the situation, but it may be worth keeping an eye out for:

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

snow ghost wrote: »
    I don't know whether there is any truth in the rumour that Gerry Murphy and Jean Byrne are recording a cover version of the below video as a special snomaggeddon warning to be played tomorrow after 6.1 news, given the gravity of the situation, but it may be worth keeping an eye out for:

:eek:

Vid doesn't work snowghost!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

leahyl wrote: »
    My parents think I'm a complete nutjob! Please let me prove them wrong, PLEASE!:D

Ok so then, if Cork doesn't get any snow we'll club together and send a huge big box of it to you especially. Can't have you disappointed every year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

it does work and its sad,anyway back to the weather

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Thank you

• Advertisement

davidsr20 wrote: »
    so whats the story with the 20th or 21st everyone said will be the big one to watch is this still going to happen??also have we a chance of a white xmas still :)

Definately.

You're gonna have a white Christmas with at least two foot of snow. :p

We'll it won't play for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

We'll it won't play for me!

hold on I'll hum it for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Tactical wrote: »
    Definately.

You're gonna have a white Christmas with at least two foot of snow. :p

Hope ur rite :)

Vid doesn't work snowghost!!

Try the one in my original post now Leahyl, I changed it, it may have been because it was HD.

• Advertisement

If you find that sad, don't ever watch Bambi. ;)

snow ghost wrote: »
    Try the one in my original post now Leahyl, I changed it, it may have been because it was HD.

Nah still doesn't work - might be cos I'm on my iPhone - I find some vids won't play for me sometimes on this

Hope ur rite :)

I'd better be ! Would love nothing better.

Anyhow, will be waiting patiently for the updates from our resident experts and in the meantime having some light hearted fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Nah still doesn't work - might be cos I'm on my iPhone - I find some vids won't play for me sometimes on this

iPhones all the way :)... Studying for a college exam while also studying boards ha :)

Tactical wrote: »
    I'd better be ! Would love nothing better.

Anyhow, will be waiting patiently for the updates from our resident experts and in the meantime having some light hearted fun :)

Likewise!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

There are a lot of new posters here at the moment (in fact i'm relatively new myself!) and ye need to understand that when it comes to snow in ireland, downgrades, sleet, freezing rain and snow shields are rampant. Met eireann are 100% right not to give warnings yet, due to the fact that a large amount of people will here the word snow and panic. Moving is set in stone yet, for all we know things could change radically before the weekend. Yes, it is wise to be well prepared and to warm others about the POSSIBILITY of severe weather, but IT IS NOT GUARANTEED YET!

The aim is to give people advanced warning of likely outcomes over the next few days, not wait until you see snow out your window and give confirmation!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

just hear coldplays "christmas lights" song on Christmas FM & this line really struck me & is how i feel to...."still waiting for the snow to fall,doesn't really feel like christmas at all..."(without)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Is it just me or did tv3 basically repeat the entire OP on this thread in their bulletin:confused: Definately heard them repeat the thread title anyway. I think we under estimate how many media folk (hi!) accidentally fall into the fun house.;)

Anyways hope other forumers will give a chart by chart account of the 18z GFS run later (and post the new UK fax charts aswell for 96hrs and 120hrs). Exciting times ahead. Im off! Enjoy:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Some nippy temps for next Sunday night :eek:

10121900_1312.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭alanclarke1975

darkman2 wrote: »
    Is it just me or did tv3 basically repeat the entire OP on this thread in their bulletin:confused: Definately heard them repeat the thread title anyway. I think we under estimate how many media folk (hi!) accidentally fall into the fun house.;)

Anyways hope other forumers will give a chart by chart account of the 18z GFS run later (and post the new UK fax charts aswell for 96hrs and 120hrs). Exciting times ahead. Im off! Enjoy:)

Hello Mum!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

I've being keeping an eye on this forum at least once a day for the past few weeks, its being an interesting experience, not to mention its helped me get a better grasp on how weather forecasting works.

Of course I want to see snow ( Hey, Cork called, they said they want some actual proper snow this time! ) but at the same time I don't want to get stranded owing to snow or slip on ice ( I've literally had to skate on some footpaths due to them being so slippery! )

Regardless, looking forward to the next few days, should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Hey everyone.

Am a bit of a lurker but had to post to say thanks to everyone, and I mean everyone, both MT and others who are the experts, and those who comment, and make me smile :pac:

I will have to get a real life soon....

Anyway, I LOVE snow and arctic conditions - provided I am in my little hovel with plenty of food and drink and don't have to walk or drive in it..

My take on this is that when it is forecast it doesn't happen (resident forecasters excepted), and when ME or others play it down, it will....

So I don't know what to think, except I have a sneaky feeling this could be COLD COLD weather, but maybe not so bad snow wise on the East Coast, but very tough for those on the NW.

No harm in stocking up though, even if nothing happens, there will be plenty of grog in the house :D

Thanks again folks, really enjoying your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Hey everyone.

Am a bit of a lurker but had to post to say thanks to everyone, and I mean everyone, both MT and others who are the experts, and those who comment, and make me smile :pac:

I will have to get a real life soon....

Anyway, I LOVE snow and arctic conditions - provided I am in my little hovel with plenty of food and drink and don't have to walk or drive in it..

My take on this is that when it is forecast it doesn't happen (resident forecasters excepted), and when ME or others play it down, it will....

So I don't know what to think, except I have a sneaky feeling this could be COLD COLD weather, but maybe not so bad snow wise on the East Coast, but very tough for those on the NW.

No harm in stocking up though, even if nothing happens, there will be plenty of grog in the house :D

Thanks again folks, really enjoying your posts.

cheers nice person,I to would like to thank the experts apart from me...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Was really disappointed with the last event that the NW got so little compared to last year, can't wait till the weekend, hopefully I'll be going home to a snow covered Leitrim :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Ok was that the same weather forecast that was played after 6 news, do they just have a tape ?
    whar does "in the mix" mean, is that a technical weather term ?

According to the forecast from met eireann after the nine news... it's too
    soon to make a call on whats going to happen!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cabot

UK sites are now reporting about the Arctic freeze and 50mph winds :eek:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/8197479/The-Big-Freeze-set-to-return-to-deliver-white-Christmas.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Well that was a bit better from Met Eireann on the 9 news. Some talk of "falls of sleet and snow" at least.

They seem to be getting into line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Villain wrote: »
    Its not pointless bickering some people are been alarmist outside of reliable time frames.

I love Snow more than anyone but some people need to be realistic.

Yes i can't help but agreeing with Villain here because it is a long way off, and people here are goin way over the top over something that we all know could drastically change.

Anybody here goin way over the top here about huge amounts of snow coming, could be hugely dissapointed with this setup im afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Avns1s wrote: »
    Well that was a bit better from Met Eireann on the 9 news. Some talk of "falls of sleet and snow" at least.

They seem to be getting into line.

Its all "in the mix" ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement