Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe weather: Snow and Ice and sub zero temperatures from Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I seem to remember that salt water (depending on salt content) freezes at about -4 to -8 degrees ...when there are no waves, that is

• Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Hot and humid with scattered thunderstorms.

Oh sorry, that's the new Brazilian guy they got over in the other thread. Umm, we're in the northern hemisphere here buddy, the sun is like ten degrees above the horizon at the best of times. Yeah, north is towards the pole here. Sorry about that.

Go on with your normal routines. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

Oh sorry, that's the new Brazilian guy they got over in the other thread. Umm, we're in the northern hemisphere here buddy, the sun is like ten degrees above the horizon at the best of times. Yeah, north is towards the pole here. Sorry about that.

Make sure the next post is a good one.
    Its your 2K post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Has someone been indulging in the christmas spirit a little early?:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Pangea wrote: »
    Theres not much fresh water in killybegs harbour, its the atlantic through and through ;) Only one small river that feeds into the bay from the other direction , and the harbour is still around 1 mile from so there so the fresh water is not even worth talking about.

It's still an estauarine environment I suspect Pangea, sheltered, to some extent, from the warming influence of the Ocean. I.e. compared to an Atlantic storm beach pounded by Atlantic surf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

peasant wrote: »
    I seem to remember that salt water (depending on salt content) freezes at about -4 to -8 degrees ...when there are no waves, that is

http://www.waterencyclopedia.com/Re-St/Sea-Water-Freezing-of.html

-1.8 on average supposedly, not that much lower than fresh water really. I would've thought it'd need to be colder too!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Has anyone seen updated charts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Bizarre,But maybe a good point

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

aurora 527 wrote: »
    Has anyone seen updated charts?
    18z gfs out and not too much difference still all systems go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Oh sorry, that's the new Brazilian guy they got over in the other thread.

I thought they were going to give you a Brazilian M.T.?
    :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

sean555 wrote: »
    18z gfs out and not too much difference still all systems go.
    thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

kkontour wrote: »
    Make sure the next post is a good one.
    Its your 2K post.

Ramp ramp ramp!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

18z looks to upgrade Friday for widespread Snow but downgrade for Saturday but I would say anything beyond Friday is FI at the moment imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

snow ghost wrote: »
    It's still an estauarine environment I suspect Pangea, sheltered, to some extent, from the warming influence of the Ocean. I.e. compared to an Atlantic storm beach pounded by Atlantic surf.
    yes Snow ghost no doubt it is sheltered more due to the long nature of the harbour with land surronding it on both sides, in your opinion would this make it more favourable to snow, ie.would the shelter have more effect on keeping the surronding areas colder than a typical coastal town?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Friday & Saturday are modelled to be very severe across the country.
    Inches of lying snow across a wide swathe of Ireland by Sat night.
    Disruption likely to be massive over the weekend.
    The economy will suffer big time with the pre Christmas shopping bonanza grinding to a halt.

Hopefully Met Eireann will get there act together soon and get warnings out. They were very poor pre the last cold spell and the same is happening again. They are totally at odds compared to the charts.
    I mean she had rain / sleet / snow for weekend, where's the rain coming from.
    Very poor Met Eireann, YET AGAIN!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I know its off topic... but if its clear werever u live, go outside for awhile and watch the meteor shower!,for all u know u could see a fire ball! , some1 already reported one on the astro forum!. feckin clouds here in dublin, apparently its not gonna shift till 3am... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

12 pubs of christmas saturday, i wont be able to walk anyway and now theres going to be more snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

same here mateeee so much cloud

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Usually what happens in Sligo when widespread snow is predicted is that we get one night of snow(Thursday/Fri) and the snow lies the next day and then slowly melts in the ensuing period because of hard frosts and Donegal and Ulster and parts of Leinster get snow from then on.

These runs seem to point to a different outcome but I am too long in the tooth to get over excited . My only hope for snow lovers in Sligo is that we get a heavy dump on Thursday night and Friday morning so that it lasts a few days. But though I can envisage there being snow on the ground on Christmas Day I think it will be the remains of some of this as I think from Saturday on any showers we get will be of sleet and hail.

Think though that inland locations will have a better chance of longer lasting snow.

That stupid Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

I mean she had rain / sleet / snow for weekend, where's the rain coming from.
    Very poor Met Eireann, YET AGAIN!!

I believe the precip will be in that order as the cold air comes behind. That's how it looks at the moment.
    From what i've read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Fax Chart for Saturday would be nice if it was +24

fax120.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Iancar29 wrote: »
    I know its off topic... but if its clear werever u live, go outside for awhile and watch the meteor shower!,for all u know u could see a fire ball! , some1 already reported one on the astro forum!. feckin clouds here in dublin, apparently its not gonna shift till 3am... :(

Have a look at Jupiter too. Its appearing like a bright star very close to the moon... awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

great to see the snow threads getting ready for another lashing of snow. we will all be saying our prayers to the snow god to return. I wish I had put money down on a white xmas a few weeks ago.

just quick note for anyone who still had ice and snow outside, dont forget to clear the ice before the next snow event is possible as it will be completly deadly if the last lot has not been removed. cleared the paths outside my house the last day of the remainig ice, it is still very thick outside the houses on my road. one of the neighbours didnt, slipped and broke an arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

care to translate Villain?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

I really enjoyed Snowmaggedon but I don't want it back because I am afraid that the airports will be closed and my son won't get home for Christmas :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

David Rogers on the Radio 1 forecast just before 6pm this evening said that disruption as a result of the snow will happen and then not much of a mention of it with Siobhan Ryan on the forecast's after the news....Listen out to the 2355 forecast on Rte1 Radio 1/Sky 0160. Some savage sights in the sky atm!!(Some clear slots over Castlebar).

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭popflop

Have a look at Jupiter too. Its appearing like a bright star very close to the moon... awesome

Cloud cover, cant see a thing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

Ahorseofaman, "x" marks the spot of where it is going to snow on the map, so i would say its kerry, above dingle:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

The 96hr fax chart ain't bad eithier:D;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

i know its all a bit FI.
    but just took a look at the models, and i have bever seen a full 7 days of snow predicted over us, bar a few minor hours, its pink all around.

I know it wont pan out like that but oooo its nice to ramp it up

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement