Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe weather: Snow and Ice and sub zero temperatures from Thursday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

leahyl wrote: »
    AAAAWWW Min you don't meant that....;)!

It would be nice to be Jesus, that is all I will say :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

You said 20cm for the SOUTH!! Cork IS the South!!
    lol look at my inital post again :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Pangea wrote: »
    lol look at my inital post again

I know! I had posted that before i saw your edit:o!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Anyone got any predictions for delays in Dublin airport on Friday??
    Landing at around 18:00, well scheduled to anyway... Am I all outta luck?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

20 cm of snow for cork:eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Met eireann seem to say there will be rain on thursday.
    From MT.s forecast It looks to me like the heavy snow for northwest doesnt look to be as bad as others where saying? 4-9cm is hardly snowmaggadon.
    With the heavier 20cm mentioned for the east and south over the weekend :(

I too thought MTs forecast this morning was for a little less drama than earlier estimates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

How are the models shaping up compared to last year?? It was this Sunday coming that it all started for us in the NW last year. Never seen snow like it that night :D

He didnt say south west :P
    edit: just realised that cork is not really south west, my appauling knowdeldge of things down south has become apparent lol

lol

btw accu weather is saying cork has 75% chance of thunderstorms :eek:

well it was saying that last night, but not any more. crap

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

eigrod wrote: »
    I too thought MTs forecast this morning was for a little less drama than earlier estimates.

Yes, I wouldn't call it a downgrade as yet but it did just about hint that previous predictions may have been slightly too high. Having siad that he mentions the potential for 10-20cms in places which would be considerable enough.

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    lol

btw accu weather is saying cork has 75% chance of thunderstorms :eek:

well it was saying that last night, but not any more. crap

SNOW thunderstorms??!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

I have been scanning through the 31 odd pages in this thread trying to get a handle on things but I have no idea how to interpret the tons of (no doubt excellent) info that has been posted about the coming week/weekend so could someone help please?

I have to drive from Galway city to Killarney on Saturday morning for a wedding. What am I likely to face along the way? Ice? Snow? Freezing temperatures? All of the above? If so how bad do you thing it will get? Should I be thinking about having to cancel the trip altogether?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭beefjerky

So this is all kicking off... The Day After Tomorrow? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Caitriona

beefjerky wrote: »
    So this is all kicking off... The Day After Tomorrow? :pac:

Bet you've been saving that one up for days :D

SNOW thunderstorms??!:eek:

yeah, but dont know if thats happening anymore:(

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

i have been say to a few people to stock up on coal and get some oil for the heating if there running a bit low and finish off there christmas santa shopping that there is more snow on the way and there could be as much as we got nearly two weeks ago and i was laughed at and they think i lost the plot

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    yeah, but dont know if thats happening anymore:(

Yes they are for the SOUTH (take note Pangea!);)

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

smokin ace wrote: »
    i have been say to a few people to stock up on coal and get some oil for the heating if there running a bit low and finish off there christmas santa shopping that there is more snow on the way and there could be as much as we got nearly two weeks ago and i was laughed at and they think i lost the plot

I have been sitting on my roof with a shotgun since Monday;)

People will never take advice as their weather check is simply to look out the window. In Dublin today it is hard to imagine we could be blanketed in a couple of days and I suppose people forget pretty quickly.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

A definite sense of downgrade from MT this morning I thought too - the 'rain' word even made an appearance for early next week :eek:

was up in dublin on saturday, shocked to see white stuff still on the ground :p it made my day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Coldest air appears to have shifted more east towards Britain in GFS now rolling out

ps...can we keep this thread more specific to analysis of the upcoming cold spell if possible. Maybe question regarding snow in specific locations and/or general comments about snow can be placed elsewhere. It's hard to keep track of the analysis otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Think there is a little downgrade in the forecast this morning from MT. What made me a little disappointed was the following line.

Much more specific snowfall forecasts can be made closer to the time, but for now, would say expect an average of 5 cms and potential for 10-20, with some sleet and coastal rain in the mix due to somewhat marginal temperatures (highs will generally be -2 to +1 C, could be lower in a few spots, and higher in a few coastal locations, so you can see there is some risk of mixing to rain and in the usual places, you know your own location's tendencies)

When i hear marginal, sleet and coastal rain that makes me think ( Waterford) Hopefully it will turn out different but i'm having my doubts now :confused:

A definite sense of downgrade from MT this morning I thought too - the 'rain' word even made an appearance for early next week :eek:

grrrrr rain. it'll change a again

uksnowrisk.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Thursday evening from 06z GFS

[URL="javascript: viewimage(1);"]h850t850eu.png[/URL]

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Coldest air appears to have shifted more east towards Britain in GFS now rolling out

ps...can we keep this thread more specific to analysis of the upcoming cold spell if possible. Maybe question regarding snow in specific locations and/or general comments about snow can be placed elsewhere. It's hard to keep track of the analysis otherwise.

I agree wolfe, like the last cold spell a separate thread should be opened for general stuff and keep this for the model watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

qwert2 wrote: »
    Are we talking potential 1982 levels here? This is the guage many of us here go by.
    Maybe 1982 levels? But one big difference, in '82 high pressure built giving clear skies and delaying the thaw which is the reason why those old enough clearly remember. This time there is no high pressure building, in fact the country will be covered by low pressure (cutting off the arctic airflow) which will give cloudy skies and allow Atlantic air move in over the country. Any snow that falls will turn to slush fairly quickly.
    I'm not even looking forward to this event as I know it will be short lived :mad:

Latest GFS indicates no change on previous runs. Connaught, west Munster, Ulster and north Leinster most at risk of seeing snow Thur/Fri

uksnowrisk.png
    GFS is not too good at these specifics in low resolution,which in my opinion is T-48hrs+ but it's interesting that they have the snow level over the coast of the west and through the irish sea and even off the southwest and cork to be zero ie at sea level.
    Now post the same risk chart which is hypothetical for say noon friday and 3pm saturday and see where that snow level height is...

uksnowrisk.png

NOT liking the look of this although it is only for Thursday. The dreaded D word is also starting to make an appearance...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Their has actually been no downgrade,rain was always forcasted to come first & l8r turn to rain.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement