Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe weather: Snow and Ice and sub zero temperatures from Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

WOW Imagine our roofs could be doing that soon......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Not really, stadium roofs are rather weak and they should be climate controlled. It's probably operator error that allowed the build up of snow to dangerous levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Briefly OT. Fancy some skiing in Cyprus?

http://www.skicyprus.com/webcam/

Use the link and compare previous years view at this same time too...

Seems quiet enough in here. One poorish model run (relatively ;) ) and we're not getting the snowmageddon promised...

I bet that changes later on...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Auvers wrote: »

That's not bad snow that's bad building...we have plentiful much of that madame's and messieurs's! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I bet that changes later on...;)

I'm taking the studs outta me BF Goodrich's :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

gbee wrote: »
    Not really, stadium roofs are rather weak and they should be climate controlled. It's probably operator error that allowed the build up of snow to dangerous levels.

aye but high winds forced workers off the roof

"After the Dome’s Teflon roof collapsed three times from 1981 to 1983 because of heavy snow, the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission adopted a twofold strategy to prevent future occurrences, according to the executive director Bill Lester. Whenever snow built up, hot air was pumped into the space between the roof’s two layers. Workers also climbed on the roof and used steam and high-powered hot-water hoses to melt snow.

That method proved effective until Saturday night, when dangerous gusts forced workers off the roof, Lester said. Snow breached the roof at about 5 a.m. Sunday.

“The confluence of high winds and the snowfall was the worst of all possible scenarios for us,” Lester said."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭thomasj

I'm not quiet sure there are that many inflatable roofs in Ireland ......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Which forecast is the crucial one so? Like which one will be the one that is most accurate? The one 24/48 hours out? Is there any particular timeframe we have to wait to be in until we get a fairly reliable forecast cos obviously at the moment nothing is set in stone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

bubble roofs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

it happened regularly in '47. there are some parallels between this year and that year. just sayin':p
    Indeed:D

But apart from the few times in 1947, New Year's Eve 1962 and naturally January '82, I can't think of any from looking at the chart archives. Parallels don't change their rarity.

In any case, my talk of any atlantic influence is premature at this stage! I haven't seen such a contigouous and strong portion of the polar vortex making its way down here before, and the models do seem consistent on propping up LP systems over the british isles over the weekend. This is based on the upper low (the migrated polar vortex) being particularly beefy I would imagine.

I'm not used to such LP systems migrating south so perhaps in terms of precipitation it's a different ball game, but it's difficult to avoid both the risk of areas being hit with nothing more than unorganised precipitation or else have the cold air modified by the warm waters in this part of the world. As February 2009 and Feb 24th 2005 (IIRC) showed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

That rte forecast was a bit of a let down... Cold and wet for Thur fri with temps of 2 to 4:mad:... Whats going on lads??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

dexter647 wrote: »
    That rte forecast was a bit of a let down... Cold and wet for Thur fri with temps of 2 to 4:mad:... Whats going on lads??

Was looking at it myself, no great at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Seems like someone is getting the weather forecast very wrong. Time will tell though!

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

i love seeing snow like a lot of the other snowatchers here on boards but maybe i am asking a bit much but i am prying hard the snow gods for them to bring snow early evening on christmas eve and to wake up to a white out on christmas day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

All the chart watchers seem to be nibernating. Was the last run so bad to get a downgrade and met eireann to not forecast snow?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

dexter647 wrote: »

Disgraceful forecast on RTE, wet wet wet is mostly what she said with a few snow showers in the west and North of the country. In contrast flicked over to the BBC and they have an early warning in place for snow and extreme cold weather in place. Excellent graphics illustrated exactly what is going to happen. Hang your head in shame RTE and Met Eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

leahyl wrote: »
    Which forecast is the crucial one so? Like which one will be the one that is most accurate? The one 24/48 hours out? Is there any particular timeframe we have to wait to be in until we get a fairly reliable forecast cos obviously at the moment nothing is set in stone

I think the Ensemble Gfs and the ukmo are good ones to look at for T-24,T-48, then after that the ecm :)

2moro nite , we should be knowing with some reasonable accuracy what precipitation values to expect for thursday nite and friday. But the weekend then can still change. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cabot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

and '63

My father often told us about '47 and there was still snow up on the high ground at the start of june!
    I know one thing,this is day 18 since the east snow started and we still have 3 inches of it in the field here.
    No one under 60yrs of age round this part of coastal south wicklow can ever remember such prolonged continuous cover happening before-that one snowy period albeit with snowfall every day for 7 days and a total period of snow cover of 18days-it's not thawing much today either so it's likely to be still there on thursday for the rain to snow event.
    That will be almost 3 weeks of continuous snow cover.
    It's a sign and not a good one if you don't like snow.

Even in south Meath here, uncleared roads still have an inch or two patchy solid ice cover that seems to want to stay around forever. Not much of it, if any, has melted since the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

cabot wrote: »

I just saw Daily Mail and didn't bother clicking :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

From RTE.ie

"This will mark the beginning of a cold spell for Thursday night, Friday, the weekend and the early days of next week. There'll be widespread sharp or severe frosts at night and temperatures by day won't rise much above zero. Wintry showers of rain, hail, sleet and possibly snow will affect northern, western and southwestern coastal counties on Thursday night and Friday with a risk of thunder. These wintry showers will become more widespread across the country over the weekend with a continued risk of thunder and a likelihood of accumulations of snow in places."

Seems pretty consistent with above to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Lets just hope that the 12z run at 3pm is better then the 6z. Nothing like a bad run to slow down the post here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Guys calm down.:D The forecast is actually pretty much the same now as it is in the OP from yesterday. The only difference is that Friday temperatures during the day will be around 1 to -4c. Everything else is as is as far as I can see.

It's Sunday and the early days of next week that are a little uncertain - same as yesterday. It will snow on Sunday and the early days of next week, just a question of where. It looks like the South and East most at risk at that stage. Between now and then getting much colder and snowier :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Latest ECM is forecasting snow for the entire country on friday night into Sunday morning. I imagine this will be as result of heavy showers merging to longer periods of snow but it's all very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Disgraceful forecast on RTE, wet wet wet is mostly what she said with a few snow showers in the west and North of the country. In contrast flicked over to the BBC and they have an early warning in place for snow and extreme cold weather in place. Excellent graphics illustrated exactly what is going to happen. Hang your head in shame RTE and Met Eireann.

Have to agree big difference between between Met Eireann and the UKMET, and looking at the latest GFS06Z run it still looks good for snow for nearly the whole country between Thursday and Tuesday, ok maybe on some costal parts it could be marginal, but cold and wet dosent look right to me apart from when the front pushes down Thursday

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

A few GFS models of interest for Friday. Met Eireann must be blind to not see these. :mad: Prime snow conditions nationwide.

10121718_1406.gif

10121718_1406.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Welcome winter storm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Bren

Please refrain from spamming the thread with colour coded messages that contribute little to the discussion on the coming cold spell.

It is making it difficult for people to read through the thread and is also a major discencentive for people to come back and visit the site.

I understand your enthusiasm and do not mean to be offensive. Just a friendly request.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

May i ask who gave this forecast? Was it Ms. Siobhan "in the mix" Ryan? If so then i shall take this with a pinch of salt - she seems to have been educated in the Gerry Murphy School of Meteorology:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

I didnt see the RTE forecast, was it forecasting rain ?
    I just saw the BBC one and they are still on target for snow over this weekend just about in most places

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement