Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe weather: Snow and Ice and sub zero temperatures from Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

irish1967 wrote: »
    And yet again I am in the PINKY area. !!
    Yes we are both in pinky area, but you are on the border of white and pink.
    Looks good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

leahyl wrote: »
    Oh jesus you have no idea....heart failure is imminent..:(

Postpone heart failure:

5257495626_41b830a48d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

snow ghost wrote: »
    Postpone heart failure:

looks slightly more promising....:D:D:eek: - haha i know its way too early at this stage though for this to be definite!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Lads, I've a flight to amsterdam on saturday from dublin, am I screwed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Probably have delays by the looks of things, seeing as it takes them four hours to clear the runways. Long way away yet though, wait and see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

snow ghost wrote: »
    Postpone heart failure:

Apologies for my ignorance, but does that mean, that at that point in time, the extreme east coast is escaping the worst ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

eigrod wrote: »
    Apologies for my ignorance, but does that mean, that at that point in time, the extreme east coast is escaping the worst ?

Good question. Is Waterford set to get snow again?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

You're gonna get "screwed":p either way

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Good question. Is Waterford set to get snow again?

Fingers crossed :rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

OK, weather and weather forum citizens, I've got a proposal.

Wait nutil Thursday night or Friday mornnig before messing up the country, and then do your worst for a few weeks. Just let me get out for my holiday to the heat first. OK?

No dodgy business until around 7pm Thursday evening (assuming my flight is on time).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

So things becoming interesting once again love how its all pink in the midlands yum..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Those charts are quite unreliable by the way. And they don't take precipitation amounts into account. So if the odd shower is forecast to reach as far as the midlands, but the air is very cold, you'll get 100% risk even if it's 100% risk of a dusting of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

:p I can't see this happening....

186_24.gif

According to http://www.narccap.ucar.edu/data/data-tables.html "1 kg of water forms a cube 1000 cubic cm in volume. Distributed evenly over 1 square meter, this forms a layer 1 mm in depth."

So roughly converting that from water to snow kg/m^2 works out about the same as cm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

ecm has cold going right up to xmas. GFS has again bactracked to have warmer air pushing up from south on tuesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    ecm has cold going right up to xmas. GFS has again bactracked to have warmer air pushing up from south on tuesday

This was always the final ingredient, as MT eluded to, it's unknown how much a blocking/calming effect this will have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

Now this is something I would've sworn I will never see:
    174_24.gif
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭jon burrows

:p I can't see this happening....

186_24.gif

According to http://www.narccap.ucar.edu/data/data-tables.html "1 kg of water forms a cube 1000 cubic cm in volume. Distributed evenly over 1 square meter, this forms a layer 1 mm in depth."

So roughly converting that from water to snow kg/m^2 works out about the same as cm.

Fap fap fap :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Now this is something I would've sworn I will never see:
    174_24.gif
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

What does it mean?

What does it mean?

The numbers there are approximately equal to centimeters of fallen snow.

Mind ya, with strong winds this can lead to a blizzard, where drifting snow can form anything up to 10 feet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

What does it mean?
    The Weight of the accumulated snow in Kilos per Meter Squared as of the date and time shown. Today week.

Kerry will have 52KG of Snow per M2 ( more than the Alpine ski areas :D ) and Wickila only 33KG

• Advertisement

Mind ya, with strong winds this can lead to a blizzard, where drifting snow can form anything up to 10 feet.

Wow ive seen many of a horror forcasts in the past but if we do get 10 foot of snow...Wow but 10 inches will do for a yum christmas eh...?

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The Weight of the accumulated snow in Kilos per Meter Squared as of the date and time shown. Today week.

Kerry will have 52KG of Snow per M2 ( more than the Alpine ski areas :D ) and Wickila only 33KG

52kg: 52l of water: 52 mm of precip.
    Based on water content of snowflakes, 1 mm ppt in snow form can be anything between 6 to 20 mm of snow.

You do the math from here ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The math would be interesting if a very sudden thaw hit Kerry after all that snow :D

Worth stressing though that this is just one run of one model. Important details like precip type, amounts and locations are nowhere close to being nailed yet so while that snowfall accumulation chart makes a great desktop background, the next output could and probably will show a lot less snow.

For example, the 0Z : http://www2.wetter3.de/Animation_00_UTC_05Grad/174_24.gif

Still though, tis rare indeed to see stuff like that.

Wow ive seen many of a horror forcasts in the past but if we do get 10 foot of snow...Wow but 10 inches will do for a yum christmas eh...?

I said anyhing up to 10ft :) For that, you need a place where snow be "blown into", and get stuck, and you need a constant strong wind from the same direction for at least a day or snow, with snow that is dry enough to drift.
    In my country (Hungary) it's quite common, we have "genovan" mediterranean cyclones that usually have a mild frontal zone, that ofter turn to rain and give very high ppt amounts, and strong, windy "backside" fronts that give slightly less ppt but they are very cold and windy, and can even cause a 3-4 inch snowfall to build massive drifts up to 2m or more (in areas which are not protected against drifting snow).
    The real deal comes when the cold in the basin is so strong, that even the frontalzone of the medi-cyclone cannot turn to rain - in sever cases 40-60 cm's of snow can fall in 36-48 hours. In my town, 2003 February saw 55cm of snow from 1 storm, but in Feb 1999 the NE part of the country has seen over 80 cm's :D

I said anyhing up to 10ft :) For that, you need a place where snow be "blown into", and get stuck, and you need a constant strong wind from the same direction for at least a day or snow, with snow that is dry enough to drift.
    In my country (Hungary) it's quite common, we have "genovan" mediterranean cyclones that usually have a mild frontal zone, that ofter turn to rain and give very high ppt amounts, and strong, windy "backside" fronts that give slightly less ppt but they are very cold and windy, and can even cause a 3-4 inch snowfall to build massive drifts up to 2m or more (in areas which are not protected against drifting snow).
    The real deal comes when the cold in the basin is so strong, that even the frontalzone of the medi-cyclone cannot turn to rain - in sever cases 40-60 cm's of snow can fall in 36-48 hours. In my town, 2003 February saw 55cm of snow from 1 storm, but in Feb 1999 the NE part of the country has seen over 80 cm's :D

Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow I mean we gotta love every bit of snow we get don't we...

Worth stressing though that this is just one run of one model. Important details like precip type, amounts and locations are nowhere close to being nailed yet so while that snowfall accumulation chart makes a great desktop background, the next output could and probably will show a lot less snow.

For example, the 0Z : http://www2.wetter3.de/Animation_00_UTC_05Grad/174_24.gif

Still know, tis rare indeed to see stuff like that.

Yeah, I was deliberately giving an extreme example :). In 2003 we had snow drifts of up to 4-5m in some roads, wheres the total precip was only about 20-25mm. The key factor was the blizzard-like wind for 2 days during, and after the storm.

And I agree, we certainly cannot take this event's extreme snow amounts for granted, but just even to see these amounts for Ireland on this chart is absolutely blinding ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

What IS it with Cork residents and snow? It seems like every weather thread is peppered with people asking

"will it snow in Corrk, boy?"

Yes, it will snow in Cork.

Happy?
    Ha ha, I know. I for one would prefer if it didn't make much of an appearance here - certainly not anything like Dublin/Wicklow got. There was a snowfall here anyway the week before last - short, but heavy.

A closer look, for snowlovers in Kerry. Save it before the 12Z downgrades.... :pac:

10122100_1306.gif

• Advertisement

A closer look, for snowlovers in Kerry. Save it before the 12Z downgrades.... :pac:

10122100_1306.gif

what are the chances of an Upgrade.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement