Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe weather: Snow and Ice and sub zero temperatures from Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Should I be stocking up on the tinned foods and a gas camp fire :confused::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Should I be stocking up on the tinned foods and a gas camp fire :confused::D

I dunno but I've just stocked up on 200 quid of goods from over the border. :D Gonna be a good Christmas. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

I don't mean to be rude to anyone:D

However there is an increasing number of crappy posts on here, can people refrain from the 2 word posts etc and not have too many unrelated jokes and the likes!

Just makes finding the good, interesting posts much more difficult for all of us.

Try and make all your posts constructive ;) Thanks!

Assume that includes my Snow Shoveler Diary ! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

amacachi wrote: »
    I dunno but I've just stocked up on 200 quid of goods from over the border. :D Gonna be a good Christmas. :pac:
    Heading up tomorrow myself to finish up and stock up. Fancy a snowball fight in the next few days :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

The GFS has been consistent with that small feature for Friday which may bring heavier and longer snow showers across the country. But the fax chart does not pick it up yet. Be interesting to see later on if it does because it is actually quite active on the 6z GFS with a noticable allbeit small warm sector. Definately something to watch for Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

However there is an increasing number of crappy posts on here, can people refrain from the 2 word posts etc and not have too many unrelated jokes and the likes!

Just makes finding the good, interesting posts much more difficult for all of us.

That's not going to work, Can we please get a chat thread and a models/forecast thread as well please. It was a lot better when we had the two last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

leahyl wrote: »
    May i ask who gave this forecast? Was it Ms. Siobhan "in the mix" Ryan? If so then i shall take this with a pinch of salt - she seems to have been educated in the Gerry Murphy School of Meteorology:D

At the risk of going off topic, why would it matter who presented the weather forecast? I always assumed they were reading from a script and no matter who presented it, the weather forecast is the weather forecast!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭thomasj

+1 but could I suggest a general chat thread sticky thing, will help keeping threads on topic and will make the banter all the more fun on snowfall nights :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Iancar29, that's a fairly good map IMO, but could you possibly redraw it for forum readers, to show some scattered amounts in the southwest inland and on higher ground, and also your 10-20 cms zone in the northwest should be inside a closed area all lying inland, the actual coasts won't get that much, in fact if you want to make it most accurate, even the 5-10 cms zone should be all enclosed and on land. Your max should be from inland Mayo northeast towards Fermanagh. Thanks, if you have time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    At the risk of going off topic, why would it matter who presented the weather forecast? I always assumed they were reading from a script and no matter who presented it, the weather forecast is the weather forecast!

Some forecasters just have a way of making the forecast sound more exciting that's all:) Well imo anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭oterra

I envisage a snowfall map by late Friday with 5-10 cms over a large part of inland Connacht, most of Ulster, and pockets of north Leinster, as well as some inland parts of Clare, Kerry and west Cork. Further east in Munster, it may be more hit and miss but these will be powerful streamers with potential to bring some snow almost across the country, and there will also be troughs embedded to promote some convection. Amounts of 2-5 cms could fall almost anywhere. For Dublin, the most likely amount by late Friday would be 1-3 cms coming from a few passing snow showers. Some places will get no covering but maybe fewer than we were speculating earlier.

Friday night and early Saturday could be bitterly cold with clearing skies following this fresh snow. Then outbreaks of snow appear likely through the weekend and these could even include normally temperate south coast regions because a lot of the emphasis will be on bands coming in from the southeast in association with low pressure circling around the west and later south coasts. But the whole country including the NI portions of Ulster are likely to be significantly affected with considerable snow potential extending across Britain also.

I would say the risk of disruptive amounts of snow is increasing with these model runs trending towards a snowy pattern. Will update my perspective after the 12z runs have come out.

MT you mention in your forecast low pressure associated bands pushing in from the southeast. We these also push up along the east coast or will they effect south east coast and push towards the midlands. Will the Greater Dublin region be effected by these bands? Will we see any lake effect precipitation developing on the irish sea or will this be only possible with a norteasterly/easterly flow. The flow seems to be Northerly/NorthWesterly suggesting little accumulation in the east. Please advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Thats great, little snow in the east as i Need to move around a good bit in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Heading up tomorrow myself to finish up and stock up. Fancy a snowball fight in the next few days :p

As we speak I we are on our way to ASDA in strabane. Was going to leave it till tomorrow evening but with the speed this express is coming I don't think we up here in the NW can't take that chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

baraca wrote: »
    That's not going to work, Can we please get a chat thread and a models/forecast thread as well please. It was a lot better when we had the two last time.

As there is no mention of forecast or charts in this thread title my suggestion would be to leave this one for general chit chat and rumination and open a new thread for forecast/synoptics/charts etc. Just my tuppence worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Iancar29 wrote: »
    K sorry... back on TOPIC!

Heres what the view for thursday-friday seems to be.
    ANy corrections kindly taken :)

139377.jpg

Fingers crossed. That would mean no snow in Waterford which would be awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I'll be taking it handy enough til Monday/Tuesday when everyone else is finished college, but I'll be out your way more than once over Christmas, I'll just look for a weather station and pelt all the houses around it. :pac:

Not really been following this thread since yesterday morning and there's a huge amount of posts since, anyone got the latest projections from the models to hand? From the tone of the last few pages I'm guessing there hasn't been a huge downgrading? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

t|nt|n wrote: »
    I just saw Daily Mail and didn't bother clicking :rolleyes:

now come on! if it's in the Daily Mail it has got to be true! It's not like them to ever let facts get in the way of a sensational headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Iancar29, that's a fairly good map IMO, but could you possibly redraw it for forum readers, to show some scattered amounts in the southwest inland and on higher ground, and also your 10-20 cms zone in the northwest should be inside a closed area all lying inland, the actual coasts won't get that much, in fact if you want to make it most accurate, even the 5-10 cms zone should be all enclosed and on land. Your max should be from inland Mayo northeast towards Fermanagh. Thanks, if you have time.

Hope this is more of what your thinking :)
    139383.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Its all relative really. If Bray Seafront gets 6cm that lasts two days we'll have equalled our snow from the last spell and I'll be thrilled. If Dublin which got 20-30cm that lasted 2 weeks in the last spell gets the same hypothetical 6cm 2 days lying, the dublin lads will be disgusted. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Calibos wrote: »
    Its all relative really. If Bray Seafront gets 6cm that lasts two days we'll have equalled our snow from the last spell and I'll be thrilled. If Dublin which got 20-30cm that lasted 2 weeks in the last spell gets the same hypothetical 6cm 2 days lying, the dublin lads will be disgusted. :D

So true. I'm not even gonna bother looking out the window for anything less than 2 foot this time. I'd rather rain than 6cm. Cork can have it if they want :D

Edit: actually 6cm would be ok I suppose (don't want to p1ss off the snow gods).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 197 ✭✭Eastcoastryan

I noticed this in Bray, I am living on Ballywaltrim Lane which is at the very top of Killarney Road, we had a couple of inches that lasted almost 2 weeks, we still have ice on the driveway today! Thats a huge difference to Bray town and seafront! Why such a differnece??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Iancar29, that's about it, just get the green line to surround the yellow line to its north, instead of being a separate zone.

More generally, have been looking at the observations way up to the north, the Greenland express has set out now, with low pressure rapidly developing between Greenland and Svalbard up around 80 deg N. There's a weather station at Henrik Kroeyer Holme, on some small islands off the northeast Greenland coast. That's so far east (80.7 N, 13.7 W) that it lies almost due north from Connacht. Anyway, the wind there has increased dramatically to north 68 km/hr with forecasts of 120, and the temperature there has dropped to
    -20 C. Jan Mayen, a Norwegian island located around 72N to the south of that location, has southwest winds still at 40 km/hr and temp is +5 C. Over on Svalbard, it's an east wind, light snow and about -5 C.

Anyway, in two or three days time, you'll be breathing the same air as this guy (more likely a gal, I suppose) ...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4vaw0_polar-bear-encounters_animals

(video taken on Henrik Kroeyer Holme)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭oterra

I think accumulations are a bit uncertain at this time. Remember this cold spell could set in for some time as milder air creeping in may be too weak to shift the colder. So East coast accumulations over the longer period of a week could end up to be substantial...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Hope this is more of what your thinking :)
    139383.jpg
    I laugh at your line avoiding most of Dongeal to be honest yes it is nearer to the sea , but there loads of areas that are really bad for snow towards west donegal with high ground in a lot of places. Donegal is one of best places to get snow and I dont buy the whole inland thing too much, some local areas do get a lot of snow here e.g. Glenties.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭popflop

Hmm, checked BBC's web forecast and it looks like the Newry area wont be getting much snow thursday/friday mid-day.. sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

gme-0-108.png?12

Sunday looking good for the South, in the first model out of the blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

K sorry... back on TOPIC!

Heres what the view for thursday-friday seems to be.
    ANy corrections kindly taken :)

5260467759_063c9f6e75.jpg

:pac: (sorry they made me do it)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

snow ghost wrote: »

Snowghost you are skating on VERY thin ice! (no pun intended!):D

No i am very confident that we will get our snow!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

snow ghost wrote: »

You forgot the legend:

Yellow Lines: Rain
    Green Lines: Sleet
    Red Lines: Flakes (new unit of measurement, 1 flake = 1 meter of snow)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement