Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe weather: Snow and Ice and sub zero temperatures from Thursday

Options

Comments

I noticed this in Bray, I am living on Ballywaltrim Lane which is at the very top of Killarney Road, we had a couple of inches that lasted almost 2 weeks, we still have ice on the driveway today! Thats a huge difference to Bray town and seafront! Why such a differnece??
    many factors,primary amongst them being the direction and local strength of the streamer.
    2nd factor is that proximity to the sea means proximity to warm water,11 degree's or more warmer than the immediately adjacent land when it had snow on it.

The streamer may have looked to have been as heavy on main st bray but it wouldn't have been.
    The proximity to the sea does its damage by making it a degree or two warmer than more than a mile inland.
    The opposite is the case in summer.

I live 2 miles inland of Arklow town and am always consistently 1 to 1.5 degree's colder than the town itself.
    Inland of Arklow town about a mile,theres close to 3 inches of snow still lying by the way at near sea level,the minor roads you can only crawl on!
    Whilst the mucic is great on your show by the way,you'd never know that on the minor roads,it's a very different world to the n11.
    You should be telling people to avoid them more often.
    I'm sick of pulling cars out of the ditch down here at this stage :/

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

...love it Snow Ghost

you forgot the rain in Clare, but I forgive you because for the first time in an otherwise rather horrible and stressy day, you made me laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

Can I ask what radar subscription would be the best to take out on this upcoming cold snap? Would it be worthwhile to get netweathers radar?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Pangea wrote: »
    I laugh at your line avoiding most of Dongeal to be honest yes it is nearer to the sea , but there loads of areas that are really bad for snow towards west donegal with high ground in a lot of places. Donegal is one of best places to get snow and I dont buy the whole inland thing too much, some local areas do get a lot of snow here e.g. Glenties.

Sorry PAngea... I was being rushed as my bro wanted his pc back which has the tablet for.

Cant do one on the labtop...:(

* Mentally edits picuture to include more of Donegal * :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

i just cannot follow this thread anymore :( too many irrelevant postings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Pangea wrote: »
    I laugh at your line avoiding most of Dongeal to be honest yes it is nearer to the sea , but there loads of areas that are really bad for snow towards west donegal with high ground in a lot of places. Donegal is one of best places to get snow and I dont buy the whole inland thing too much, some local areas do get a lot of snow here e.g. Glenties.

the forgotten county;) you tell 'em senor Pangea!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

visiting friends in Dublin from Friday-Sunday. This will be fun :P Hope trains are running!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

WolfeIRE wrote: »

Ah sure it's only a bit of craic wasting time until the GFS rolls out a bit more. Although yeah I agree we could do with two seperate threads like last time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Agreed. I know the moderators didn't like it last time but could we have a thread exclusively for chart analysis (by others I hasten to add as I'm clueless!) etc?

Rougies wrote: »
    Ah sure it's only a bit of craic wasting time until the GFS rolls out a bit more. Although yeah I agree we could do with two seperate threads like last time around.
    sure rougies but anyone arriving on the thread will miss MT and weathercheck's updates, therefore presuming this thread has nothing to add but general chitchat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Agree with wolfie, a proper thread and then a nonsense thread for humour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gmee_cartes.php?&ech=84&mode=0&archive=0

GME, oft overlooked, throws up this tasty little chart while we await GFS...a week away, so extreme FI. I wonder what all those LP's would produce?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

+1 people won't even get to see important updates if there in a rush. Separate thread is what's needed but nobody wants to do it so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

There is a saying my parents have- both elderly, when the snow is hanging around, it is said to be hanging around for more. From what I see the saying is true.

Still snow and ice around north east Kilkenny and the roads are quite bad.

All the signs are there without weather models to confirm it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

sure rougies but anyone arriving on the thread will miss MT and weathercheck's updates, therefore presuming this thread has nothing to add but general chitchat

Following this forum a long time only decided to post last year. When snow is predicted the forum gets so busy and people just post anywhere the feel no matter whats on there minds. It gets tiresome looking through all the post just for the update's. The should be a thread for general chit chat as there will be a 1000 people or more on this weather forum by Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

leahyl wrote: »
    Snowghost you are skating on VERY thin ice! (no pun intended!):D

No i am very confident that we will get our snow!!

I share your confidence. In the last 2 days I have bought:-

-these snow sock things for my car
    -two bags of coal
    -two bales of briquettes
    -two bags of kindling
    -best of all, a sled for me and my toddler!

Money where mouth is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

The 12z GFS has the snow risk for 9pm Thursday evening more in line with forecasts, as in for mostly the North and North/West:

5261141402_bd97a0c904.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

-two bags of coal
    -two bales of briquettes
    -two bags of kindling

Money where mouth is!

Ok i'm not quite THAT confident but fair play to you! :D

Can't wait for the next models to come out - if it still holds up then maybe this could be a major event.....i know things can change very quickly though but it would give me renewed hope if the charts still supported the snowmageddon idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Oopps sorry, didn't mean to stumble on After hours. Now where's the weather forum.............

At this stage i hope we get the raging mild south Werterlies than Min craves, at least then we'll have more relevant posts in here :mad:

the gfs again showing snow potential for all of the country come the weekend. Very unique setup for this country it should be said.

By the way, Irish Times have just mentioned MT's latest outlook
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/1214/breaking33.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

-two bags of coal
    -two bales of briquettes
    -two bags of kindling

Money where mouth is!

where did you buy the socks? online? are they pricey?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

I noticed this in Bray, I am living on Ballywaltrim Lane which is at the very top of Killarney Road, we had a couple of inches that lasted almost 2 weeks, we still have ice on the driveway today! Thats a huge difference to Bray town and seafront! Why such a differnece??

Funily enough though my friend lives there too. She called up to me & nearly cried trying to get up the hill.. Im off herbert road & we got more than her. Road still iced. Seemed to be localised where it sank & will possibly be the same this time

• Registered Users Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭Speak Now

As pointed out by Weathercheck the drop in temps is going to be so fast during Thursday....Here's the GFS 12z rolling out

h850t850eu.png

Look at the change in 12 hours

h850t850eu.png

Snow risk for Friday evening

uksnowrisk.png
    This one is not usually accurate :pac:

homolumo wrote: »
    where did you buy the socks? online? are they pricey?

great in snow but will shred to bits once your drive on no snow... great getting to the main road then you have to stop & remove

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

As they are 1st in the storms path should we be watching Icelandic Reports ?

http://en.vedur.is/weather/forecasts/areas/

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I've to travel to Edinburgh tomorrow morning and not back till 9pm on Friday night - hope I don't get bloody stranded there! That would soon teach me to stop wishing for snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭giggsirish

lucy2010 wrote: »
    great in snow but will shred to bits once your drive on no snow... great getting to the main road then you have to stop & remove

Second that. Used my set for 3 days. already starting to tear and was driving on snow/compacted snow/ice for 99% of the time.Great for an emergency or "get me out of the estate to the road" !! but they need to be taken off ASAP again. To be fair this is all they claim to do. Long term usage a no no.

I've to travel to Edinburgh tomorrow morning and not back till 9pm on Friday night - hope I don't get bloody stranded there! That would soon teach me to stop wishing for snow.

Well my TOOL went to UK this morning & is due back friday evening - Driving ..... could have strangled him..... & they have a severe weather warning in place... Then had the cheek to tell me to relax when i reminded him to bring the shovel, blankie & the tow ropes ..... Snow on his face by friday !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

sorry for adding another bit of chit-chat to the thread but Id just like to report a sighting which may be a sign of things to come weather-wise of course...

6/7 wild geese flying towards the south east making weird noises...

This happened days before last cold spell....if you find this irrelevant sorry.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

This is my local road on day 18 of the east coast snow at 3pm-3 miles west of Arklow
    Cars can only go at walking pace or you do a twirl and it aint pretty!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement