Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe weather: Snow and Ice and sub zero temperatures from Thursday

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Friday certainly seems a ramp up from whats been predicted. Only a matter of time before ME take action on this. Might see something in their forecasts tonight, if not tomorrow.

Come tomorrow night, the front's path should be set in stone so a fairly reliable forecast could be thrown upon us

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

lucy2010 wrote: »
    Well my TOOL went to UK this morning & is due back friday evening - Driving ..... could have strangled him..... & they have a severe weather warning in place... Then had the cheek to tell me to relax when i reminded him to bring the shovel, blankie & the tow ropes ..... Snow on his face by friday !

I'd rather not go but its work and no choice! Wouldn't fancy driving though with the current forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Friday certainly seems a ramp up from whats been predicted. Only a matter of time before ME take action on this. Might see something in their forecasts tonight, if not tomorrow.

Come tomorrow night, the front's path should be set in stone so a fairly reliable forecast could be thrown upon us

Thanks for that update cherryghost :) I've never looked forward to a weather forecast more in my life:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

sorry for adding another bit of chit-chat to the thread but Id just like to report a sighting which may be a sign of things to come weather-wise of course...

6/7 wild geese flying towards the south east making weird noises...

This happened days before last cold spell....if you find this irrelevant sorry.:rolleyes:

To be fair to the geese, the threat of being on someone's dinner plate on the 25th is probably scaring them more than the Greenland Express ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    Following this forum a long time only decided to post last year. When snow is predicted the forum gets so busy and people just post anywhere the feel no matter whats on there minds. It gets tiresome looking through all the post just for the update's. The should be a thread for general chit chat as there will be a 1000 people or more on this weather forum by Friday.

995 people from Dublin complaining about no snow and 5 people from the west/north complaining about the Dubs complaining about not having snow:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

homolumo wrote: »
    where did you buy the socks? online? are they pricey?

I got a set in B&Q liffey Valley 2 weeks ago. They were about €69. They had quite a stock of them just beside the entrance then. Whether they are any good or not I dont know yet, as I'm just keeping them in the car for when all else fails as AFAIK they wear quite quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

I'd rather not go but its work and no choice! Wouldn't fancy driving though with the current forecast.

exactly - buts it work so no choice neither... but I warned him - you try stopping a 7 litre tank on that ice with a 30ft trailer behind you shoving you along..Its the scariest bloody greenland express journey ive ever been on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Not wrote: »
    I got a set in B&Q liffey Valley 2 weeks ago. They were about €69. They had quite a stock of them just beside the entrance then. Whether they are any good or not I dont know yet, as I'm just keeping them in the car for when all else fails as AFAIK they wear quite quickly.

Had them myself. No skidding and I could get up hills where others could not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

eigrod wrote: »
    To be fair to the geese, the threat of being on someone's dinner plate on the 25th is probably scaring them more than the Greenland Express ;)

They were making weird noises do...sounded like they were trying to warn the people of the lands of an oncoming Express...

eigrod wrote: »

I meant to post earlier that last night was weird as the birds seemed to be chirping and feeding all night last night. Plus in the last few hours the cats have gotten wild (Chasing all over the house after each other, which is always a sign of bad weather)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

WRT Friday - there is an increasing risk of more significant snowfall across the country during the day. Looks like a frontal trough may move through. On the down side the mild sector will be close to the South coast so things look sleety there. But could be appreciable snow elsewhere. Have to be watched.

78_30.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Seasonal

A team of various professionals will form an emergency weather panel on RTE's Four Live this Friday! Looks like RTE are beginning to take things seriously afterall!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Have to say this, as much as I love the snow, two lads I know who own small businesses reckon that the snow that fell at the start of December in addition to what might fall between now and Crimbo, will be the killer blow for their businesses. It's not just the snow but it's on the back of what has been a most depressing year, so spare a thought for folks who see their businesses melting away with the thawing snow...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Grimes wrote: »
    Had them myself. No skidding and I could get up hills where others could not.

+1. Think of them as snow chain alternatives. Would you drive on bare tarmac with chains? Treat them right and they will last a long time. I've had great results from them (just don't forget you have them on the front only and corner too quickly at a junction... :eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Seasonal wrote: »
    A team of various professionals will form an emergency weather panel on RTE's Four Live this Friday! Looks like RTE are beginning to take things seriously afterall!

You're joking right?

Yes you are - you have 1 post! LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Just heard a pheasant making loud noises from the forest, dont recall hearing them this late before , anyways shes probably out trying to salvage some food together before the snowstorm comes ,a bit like Irish1967 on his way to azda :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Seasonal

leahyl wrote: »
    You're joking right?

Yes you are - you have 1 post! LOL

I am not joking, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

snaps wrote: »
    I meant to post earlier that last night was weird as the birds seemed to be chirping and feeding all night last night. Plus in the last few hours the cats have gotten wild (Chasing all over the house after each other, which is always a sign of bad weather)

OMG, is that why my cats are running around the house like some1 just gave them cocaine:eek: they are goin absolutly mental atm :rolleyes: Also noticed that the seagulls are headin further inland, is that another sign of the 'polar express' :P

*quote from an earlier poster 'There is a saying my parents have- both elderly, when the snow is hanging around, it is said to be hanging around for more. From what I see the saying is true'*

my grandaunt said that to me today, as she is 98yrs young, i presumed she was having a very senior moment and laughed :)

Have to say this, as much as I love the snow, two lads I know who own small businesses reckon that the snow that fell at the start of December in addition to what might fall between now and Crimbo, will be the killer blow for their businesses. It's not just the snow but it's on the back of what has been a most depressing year, so spare a thought for folks who see their businesses melting away with the thawing snow...

Ive been advising people to get their Christmas shopping done before Thursday because of this, I would have thought ME would be giving some sort of warning by now. UK MO have issued warnings for NI

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

All this talk of pheasants geese and cats on coke.. this thread is going mad.

• Advertisement

Pangea wrote: »
    Just heard a pheasant making loud noises from the forest, dont recall hearing them this late before , anyways shes probably out trying to salvage some food together before the snowstorm comes ,a bit like Irish1967 on his way to azda :pac:

Only difference is that Irish1967 is going to Asda for the 24 cans for a 10£ offer!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I vote for MT C to be on it! haha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Pangea wrote: »

Outside ASDA right now. Thought it would be crazy but even staff say it's not too bad. No one seems to know what's about to hit them. ME should have stuck their neck out

baraca wrote: »
    Theres a new serious thread open just for charts and forecast discussion, so perhaps we can go nuts on this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

baraca wrote: »

these are all signs...aside from the cats on coke...

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

so there are gonna nowcast like the rest of us on Friday ????

I share your confidence. In the last 2 days I have bought:-

-these snow sock things for my car
    -two bags of coal
    -two bales of briquettes
    -two bags of kindling
    -best of all, a sled for me and my toddler!

Money where mouth is!

You forgot the snow beer:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

snaps wrote: »
    Theres a new serious thread open just for charts and forecast discussion, so perhaps we can go nuts on this thread!

I know i was just havin a laugh :)

This is the field beside the lane to my house a couple of miles west of Arklow with still 3 inches of snow on it.
    Picture taken about 10 minutes ago
    Day 18 of the snow in south wicklow!

2a669.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

,a bit like Irish1967 on his way to azda

I'm going to buy an adze, in case I have to burn the furniture.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement