Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe weather: Snow and Ice and sub zero temperatures from Thursday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

This is my local road on day 18 of the east coast snow at 3pm-3 miles west of Arklow
    Cars can only go at walking pace or you do a twirl and it aint pretty!

hope you got on Joe about it:p

Lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

This is the field beside the lane to my house a couple of miles west of Arklow with still 3 inches of snow on it.
    Picture taken about 10 minutes ago
    Day 18 of the snow in south wicklow!

It must be a bit north facing surely? :eek: Ive noticed that some north facing places have held onto their snow alright around the m50 at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Hammy_irl

How accurate is Peter O' Donnell from http://www.irishweatheronline.com He seems pretty sure about a big event?!

Does anyone know how accurate this guy has been in the past?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Hammy_irl wrote: »
    How accurate is Peter O' Donnell from http://www.irishweatheronline.com He seems pretty sure about a big event?!

Oh he might have been right once or twice before...:D

Sorry, should have said 'welcome' as I see that was your first post.

Also http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69558552&postcount=1833

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

He's not much use, I would stick to Met Eireann if I was you;)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭goodies

just to let you know this gentleman posts here as MT Cranium and has god like status....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

goodies wrote: »
    just to let you know this gentleman posts here as MT Cranium and has god like status....

Ah why did you say that?!?!? We could have had a serious laugh out of the way that conversation was heading!!!!!!

It must be a bit north facing surely? :eek: Ive noticed that some north facing places have held onto their snow alright around the m50 at the weekend.
    It is,but believe it or not,theres almost as much on the south facing ones except in the centre.

I totally thought that afterwards but to be fair this was this poster first post ever and as my name says I am a goody goody...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

goodies wrote: »
    I totally thought that afterwards but to be fair this was this poster first post ever and as my name says I am a goody goody...:D

no your user name says something totally different...:D

On topic. Even the roads around my area which have totally dried up are lethal. Slight frost last night which didn't thaw fully and saw someone got complacent and drove his jeep through someone garden wall. ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

Here you go check M.T. Cranium's posts.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055579971

Welcome to Boards.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Hammy_irl

Thanks boys! :-p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

strange 2 new posters.....met in disguise?

Thanks boys! :-p

ripleys believe it or not...there are girl snow nerds here too....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Just read the front page of the Mayo News how the county is braced for a two week lock down due to lack of salt/grit supplies (and they don't seem to have any concept of what adverse weather may be on its way):

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11560:county-braced-for-christmas-lockdown&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

Worth a read as I'm sure what is happening here has resonances in most other counties, it is deplorable the NRA are a disgrace and the councils aren't much better.

This level of incompetence and ineptitude pisses me off and is what really endangers lives and the economy during bad weather. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

strange 2 new posters.....met in disguise?

Even if they copied & pasted it they would still mess it up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭carlmwan

His name is MT Cranium on here and i find his forecasts better than ME

snow ghost wrote: »
    Just read the front page of the Mayo News how the county is braced for a two week lock down due to lack of salt/grit supplies (and they don't seem to have any concept of what adverse weather may be on its way):

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11560:county-braced-for-christmas-lockdown&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

Worth a read as I'm sure what is happening here has resonances in most other counties, it is deplorable the NRA are a disgrace and the councils aren't much better.

This level of incompetence and ineptitude pisses me off and is what really endangers lives and the economy during bad weather. :mad:

Yeah it really is a disgrace,surely life is more important than money!
    I'm sure our government has squandered money on worse things than salt...

For safety reasons Id say mayo & many counties will just be shut-down from Thursday until the new year as people should not work/or go to school in such lethal conditions,unless of course our whole army are put out to offer support via transport etc ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

dacogawa wrote: »
    Even if they copied & pasted it they would still mess it up :)

So this is what the met think it will be like on Thursday, its going to be sunny, rainy, cloudy & snowy. lets come back then and see if they were right :D

nat02_weather.png?1738nat02_temp.png?1738

• Advertisement

So this is what the met think it will be like on Thursday, its going to be sunny, rainy, cloudy & snowy. lets come back then and see if they were right :D

how mad is that

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭carlmwan

How could they get it so wrong..They must no something we dont:confused::D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

carlmwan wrote: »
    How could they get it so wrong..They must no something we dont:confused::D

I think that is what exactly is being forecasted here - i.e. a band of precipitation will move over the country southwards, first falling as rain and then turning to sleet and snow . . .

ME talking the snow up more now on radio 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,514 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Have posted this update on the forecast thread, but the general idea for Thursday is that the sudden change is the important factor. Yes, it will be rather mild in the south before the front arrives. Temperatures will take a sharp plunge when the front passes. The term "flash freeze" is used in North America for frontal passages like this one, and in parts of the north this is how it may play out too, with temperatures falling from +4 to -3 C possibly over the space of 1-2 hours, and precip changing from sleet to snow there.

Further south, I expect temperatures might peak at 7-8 C then fall off to -1 or -2 within an hour or so, there could be snow within a few minutes of that temperature fall and roads could become very icy in spots.

This will be the big story, not the numbers for the day but the period of the frontal passage and the change in the weather that comes quite suddenly as this front will be moving at 60-80 mph.

A series of further troughs will keep repeating this cycle although in between the temperatures won't be above freezing, just near zero, and conditions could become quite severe in parts of the north and west on Friday, just a little less severe in the south and east. With those -10 C uppers sweeping through, the flash freeze aspect of this cannot be underemphasized here, I hope the roads people and all drivers are fully aware of the speed at which conditions are likely to change.

Have now seen the GEM model output and it mirrors the GFS but certainly adds to my concerns about snow potential on the weekend. Take this as a word to the wise rather than any alarmist statement, but you have all the necessary ingredients for a snowstorm or even a blizzard over large parts of Ireland and the U.K. this weekend into Monday 20th. It could fall just a bit short of that and become a case of scattered outbreaks of snow, obviously there is no definite dividing line between these terms, it all depends on how many people are affected as to severity. And remember, the models are working with a very unusual fast-moving situation here with the polar vortex coming all the way south from its usual abode near Svalbard at 80 deg N to a location near or over Ireland at 53 N, in the space of four days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Anyone know when we last had a flash freeze?

They are calling this Thursday 'Black Thursday' in Scotland, because of the arctic front hitting them and its expected impact:

http://news.scotsman.com/news/The-disruption-Motorists-warned-to.6659706.jp

Wonder if they'll also have a 'Black' Christmas? Anyway, I'll be happy with a White Weekend here.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭laurence997

snow ghost wrote: »
    Anyway, I'll be happy with a White Weekend here.
    Finally getting snow in the west are we, or was it just Clare and Cork left out in the big freeze.:P Really hoping for a nice scattering of snow now, if only for a small few days :):rolleyes:
    So from reading MT's posts would I be right in saying that the snow wont fall till Friday? Also, does anyone know where it'll hit heaviest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Evelyn Cusack is on after the news, may be the news we're looking for :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭laurence997

AntiRip wrote: »
    Evelyn Cusack is on after the news, may be the news we're looking for :)

Man, is it almost that time already?:eek: Times flying here:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement