Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe weather: Snow and Ice and sub zero temperatures from Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

irish1967 wrote: »
    A low from polar regions ok... But she used the magic 'polar low' phrase. Are they the same??

Don't think its the same type of polar low often talked about here. Those are usually rapidly forming/ decaying systems that models don't usually show.

This is a long foreseen movement south of the polar vortex.

That's not to say a polar low as we know it might not form too later on...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

It's not a true polar low don't get over excited!

90-Be+Excited-+Angelslover.com+-728158.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

It's not a real Polar Low, it's a Low from Polar regions - not the same thing at all! She shouldn't be throwing that term around like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I bet she said that knowing it would drive us crazy ! :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

When the weather forum hits 1000+ people and boards slows to a crawl..you know its snowing hard outside !

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

Pangea wrote: »
    Is this the same "fake" polar low that Eagle mentioned last year ?
    Great forecast ,although no sign of snow on thursday by that forecast.
    She said artic spell looks to be with us till at least 23rd december
    Yes she did say the 23rd December but also said there was no information beyond that date available at the moment to suggest if the cold spell will last after the 23rd. I suppose the models don't run past that date as it's a fair bit away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Yes she did say the 23rd December but also said there was no information beyond that date available at the moment to suggest if the cold spell will last after the 23rd. I suppose the models don't run past that date as it's a fair bit away.

The ECMWF runs to 240 hours (10 days), so that's what she was talking about.

Treul remarkable agreement in the ensembles, rare to see it.

Cold for the forseeable ..

Day old chart , ups!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

This is truly amazing what a start to the winter we are having,amazing,simply amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

is kilkenny going to miss this snow then???? anyone want to predict if we get any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

Hi, I hate to be the guy that does it and I know you weather guys don't like it but from ME and even MTs reports would it be fair to say Its not looking good for snow in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Hi, I hate to be the guy that does it and I know you weather guys don't like it but from ME and even MTs reports would it be fair to say Its not looking good for snow in Dublin?

Eh no... Friday nite and saturday we are looking good for some snowfalls.

Probably not as much as the last cold snap, but thats only for friday and saturday, u gotta believe!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Well your in for a big surprize then...

Kippure wrote: »

what about kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭decies

Whats all this bloody love in with snow it has already led to around half a dozen deaths ,not to mention millions lost to business which cant afford to lose it.We already had the snow be GLAD if you dont get it back again esp before xmas ,as it will cause chaos .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

channaigh wrote: »
    is kilkenny going to miss this snow then???? anyone want to predict if we get any.

i reckon we'll definitely see some later in the weekend if not sooner!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Elnin09

Kippure wrote: »

I hope your right.....crosses fingers:D

The ensembles show precip most days to a varying degree in Dublin..this will be snow even a small bit inland and probably by the coast for many too..
    139424.jpg

i reckon we'll definitely see some later in the weekend if not sooner!

hopefully later in the weekend and not sooner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

decies wrote: »
    Whats all this bloody love in with snow it has already led to around half a dozen deaths ,not to mention millions lost to business which cant afford to lose it.We already had the snow be GLAD if you dont get it back again esp before xmas ,as it will cause chaos .

Bah humbug.

RIP those who have passed but please let us have our snow fun and don't be too concerned about the millions when this Govt have just borrowed 85billion for the banks.

Snow on :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Nature is nature pal... we all just love the power and difference it brings.We dont wish bad effects on anyone, especially when saftey is concerned.
    So please revert ur comments elsewhere. THank u.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I wouldn't worry too much about it - we don't control the weather anyway. Your concerns are probably better directed towards mother nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

channaigh wrote: »
    what about kilkenny

"with low pressure systems circling around on the weekend into Monday."

As the lp moves south, there will be many lows developing after it. I think the irish sea will be a snow fest for us on the east coast. Plenty of showers rotating in off the irish sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Well well, Evelyn gave a good detailed forecast there and this cold front will be of rain. However, I guess that the approach being used is to call it as rain - cause if it is they are right, they can easily upgrade to snow closer to the time. With the run-up to Christmas underway in earnest now, any wrongly forecast snow event will be met with serious criticism from all business quarters.

My advice to people would be to listen/watch every forecast from MetE tomorrow night and Thursday morning for changes. Plan to have shopping for essential gifts etc... done tomorrow cause getting around from tomorrow evening onwards is going to be quite difficult. Ice forming tomorrow night will hardly thaw for much of the remainder of the run-up to Christmas.

As JoeB says, enjoy the weather cause it's the only weather you've got... be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭irishgeo

really get sick of this to be honest.

i got my christmas party the weekend and i have to drive claremorris to tuam, then to achill friday and then back up to castlebar saturday. dont really have the time for ice snow and crap.

someone are behaving like children, i want snow i want snow.

the country not built for snow and ice and half the population cant drive properly on clean dry roads,never mind snow and ice covered ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

dfbemt wrote: »
    Bah humbug.

RIP those who have passed but please let us have our snow fun and don't be too concerned about the millions when this Govt have just borrowed 85billion for the banks.

Snow on :)

don't mean to bring this into an economic discussion, and i love snow as much as the next person here, but the millions do make a huge difference to businesses, they aren't being supported by the government in any way, and the 85 billion is not exclusively for the banks, a lot of it is, but an awful lot is for the day to day running of the country, i.e. Public service, health education and social welfare etc.

Now back to the weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Danno wrote: »
    Well well, Evelyn gave a good detailed forecast there and this cold front will be of rain. However, I guess that the approach being used is to call it as rain - cause if it is they are right, they can easily upgrade to snow closer to the time. With the run-up to Christmas underway in earnest now, any wrongly forecast snow event will be met with serious criticism from all business quarters.

My advice to people would be to listen/watch every forecast from MetE tomorrow night and Thursday morning for changes. Plan to have shopping for essential gifts etc... done tomorrow cause getting around from tomorrow evening onwards is going to be quite difficult. Ice forming tomorrow night will hardly thaw for much of the remainder of the run-up to Christmas.

As JoeB says, enjoy the weather cause it's the only weather you've got... be safe.

Exceptional,great advice.plenty of grub & your sorted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

irishgeo wrote: »

i got my christmas party the weekend and i have to drive claremorris to tuam, then to achill friday and then back up to castlebar saturday. dont really have the time for ice snow and crap.

the country not built for snow and ice and half the population cant drive properly on clean dry roads,never mind snow and ice covered ones.

4d83e115-7c9b-42fe-9d07-ef5c59b67e4e.jpg

*I suppose it can get tedious but still this is a weather forum and it would not be very active if things were benign all of the time. Also it's reasonable to make people aware of what may happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

irishgeo wrote: »

Sorry mate, sympathies, but I don't think this thread is for you then!! :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Er, it's not like the snow's decided to return because of popular demand; it's not a Westlife concert.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement