Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe weather: Snow and Ice and sub zero temperatures from Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Namlub wrote: »
    Er, it's not like the snow's decided to return because of popular demand; it's not a Westlife concert.
    Great crap weather and music whats next

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

decies wrote: »
    Whats all this bloody love in with snow it has already led to around half a dozen deaths ,not to mention millions lost to business which cant afford to lose it.We already had the snow be GLAD if you dont get it back again esp before xmas ,as it will cause chaos .

I cant speak for others, but I have a slight case of symphorophilia, so the more snow the better!

Although I'm sure at least half of the 500 odd viewers to this forum probably fall under the same category.

So yeah, bring it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Rebel021 wrote: »
    Great crap weather and music whats next

A government tax on snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Tbh, I appreciate its a pain in the ass after a couple of day - see the 4kg i managed to put on during the cold snap because i was a pansy afraid to go out running or cycling during it. Today my lovely boss announced that all snow days are to be taken as vacation or unpaid leave, with effect from the start of the month :( So it seems likely I'm going to loose holidays next week from next years allowance..
    But i still say bring on snowmaggeddon!!****

For a day or two,then can we have the usual Irish quick thaw!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Exceptional,great advice.plenty of grub & your sorted.

What's your story? You thanked the post complaining about snow and the deaths and the cost to businesses. Then you thanked the post saying let us enjoy the snow. The posting in red font is annoying too.
    sorry rant over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

irishgeo wrote: »
    really get sick of this to be honest.

i got my christmas party the weekend and i have to drive claremorris to tuam, then to achill friday and then back up to castlebar saturday. dont really have the time for ice snow and crap.

someone are behaving like children, i want snow i want snow.

the country not built for snow and ice and half the population cant drive properly on clean dry roads,never mind snow and ice covered ones.
    This is actually a weather forum.
    Something extreme is about to happen. Extreme weather forecasts, whether its rain, wind or temperature, are exciting to a lot of people. Sun worshipers will dream of a long hot summer, regardless of the consequences to crops, water supply, peoples skin etc.
    Snow worshippers are entitled to their 'day out' too.
    Based on what I've seen on this forum though, the excitement is often tempered with words of warning to pedestrians, drivers and the elderly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

What's your story? You thanked the post complaining about snow and the deaths and the cost to businesses. Then you thanked the post saying let us enjoy the snow. The posting in red font is annoying too.
    sorry rant over.

Relax,I thanked it because I agree with some of the aspects and that this weather will be hard for alot of people to keep things running as normal,however I also respect that this weather is nature and we should accept it to and enjoy it.I only posted in red once really so give up your rants.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

One thing thats actually funny - people very sick of snow - novelty has worn off. We're usually booked solid at the moment for the snow machine - nothing at all in. Even the freebies for the schools etc - nada all sick of it !

Me on other hand - give me a ton of snow but keep the ice away from me !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

give up your rants.
    maybe in the new year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I've typed in Dublin, Derry, Glasgow and Liverpool to the BBC weather forecast and none of the results suggest anything more than a few snow showers, sleet and mostly sunshine besides.

I'm hoping they are right and you guys are wrong as I've something on this weekend.

• Advertisement

maybe in the new year

haha & ill stop using the "Thanks" Button to help you....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

So the east coast won't get buckets thursday , friday or sat but maybe get more from streamers after then , am I right to think that or am I way off ?Are we going to get an easterly wind at some point ?
    Have been addicted to this thread since the last snow started , love reading everyones posts but when it comes to the technicalities I'm a dummy:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭carlmwan

I hope we get a chance to do this during this cold spell:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I know in the earlier models it was looking good for snow pretty much everywhere by the weekend but this isn't the case anymore is it? Its getting frustrating that ME (even Evelyn IMO) are being so reserved and cautious so you don't know what to expect really! Basically I'm wondering is it most likely that it'll be sleet/rain for south coast?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

decies wrote: »
    Whats all this bloody love in with snow it has already led to around half a dozen deaths ,not to mention millions lost to business which cant afford to lose it.We already had the snow be GLAD if you dont get it back again esp before xmas ,as it will cause chaos .

In the interest of balance and fairness, I assume you will come back to the forums sometime in June to berate us for getting excited about the heatwave forecast for the bank holiday weekend when between 7 and 10 people will in all likelyhood die on the roads on that single weekend and when local inland businesses will suffer a big drop in business due to everyone heading to the seaside.

That would make about as much sense as your comments here today.

Look, because of the snow and ice people drove more carefully and the numbers of deaths on the roads expected in that 2/3 week period did not happen. Instead there were half a dozen snow/ice related deaths of the elderly for the most part. From a cold statistical point of view, the recent cold actually saved lives but of course some elderly people dying from falls and exposure in lieu of a greater number of Boy Racers and drunkdrivers will pull at the heartstrings of the public more.

I think either type of death is tragic. See our dilema. Do I wish for more snow with the resultant net saving in lives or wish for no snow over Christmas only to read about all the families distraught after losing loved ones on the road over the same period. As for business, do I worry about all the businesses pushed to the brink of financial meltdown by the snow or feel good about all the businesses saved from the brink by the snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,514 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

If you recall, I was reporting Jan Mayen at +5 C and SW winds a few hours ago, now it's zero with WNW winds and snow. The front has just arrived there, would say the next report should give the first indication of the power of this developing NNW flow.

Jan Mayen is about 71 deg north and in Svalbard near 80 deg N (Nye Alesund) the current report is east winds, snow and -1 C, showing that a lot of relatively mild air has been drawn north to replace the cold air coming south with the "not quite polar low." I agree, it's not the kind of polar low we talk about on weather forums, those are smaller-scale features that tend to form entirely within an arctic air mass and not at a frontal boundary. The feature that drops southwest from Scotland to west of Ireland on the charts might take on polar low characteristics by Saturday, we shall see.

But on the other hand, you could call this development far to the north a sort of polar hurricane because winds of that strength are being forecast for marine areas between Greenland and Jan Mayen later today. Reports from northeast Greenland still about the same, winds north 68 km/hr and -17 C, as it's an automated station snow not reported. Probably the strongest winds are now between that location and Jan Mayen, around 77N 10W. Could be gusts to 120 km/hr in that area tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

homolumo wrote: »
    Anyone know when we last had a flash freeze?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Nature is nature pal... we all just love the power and difference it brings.We dont wish bad effects on anyone, especially when saftey is concerned.
    So please revert ur comments elsewhere. THank u.

SO true Iancar.. well said!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

i got my christmas party the weekend and i have to drive claremorris to tuam, then to achill friday and then back up to castlebar saturday. dont really have the time for ice snow and crap.

the country not built for snow and ice and half the population cant drive properly on clean dry roads,never mind snow and ice covered ones.

You come here spitting the dummy whilst calling other people children because of what exactly?

Because you want to drive around polluting the environment in your car... you and your bloody emissions are TO BLAME FOR THIS WEATHER! Have you any idea what you've done to the upper troposhere??? :eek:

And Tuam! :rolleyes: Come on, if you were going somewhere decent we may have had time for your plight. :pac:

(Only joking Deep!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

I've just been outside in Lucan Village and the air temperature outside feels EVERY BIT as cold as the coldest day of the last cold spell. I don't have a thermometer but I can safely say it is absolutely baltic out there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

DominoDub wrote: »

ooh i could so watch that film right now !

I've just been outside in Lucan Village and the air temperature outside feels EVERY BIT as cold as the coldest day of the last cold spell. I don't have a thermometer but I can safely say it is absolutely baltic out there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

+2 = +1

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

ah i'm gettin motion sickness reading this forum:)..........some say only a few scattered showers........some say snowmeggdon............some say polar low............some say rain.......................................................:eek::(:mad::rolleyes::rolleyes::p:confused:confused::confused:

ok i'm confused :) WHAT ARE WE EXPECTING TO GET WEATHERWISE....especially here in arklow :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Actually the GFS does show what looks like a polar low forming Friday and sitting off the northwest coast Saturday. Sub -40°C 500hPa, warm core, 50kt winds on its northwest quadrant - it just might be, ya know. It would be too far away to affect us, but if it were to edge just that little bit closer...... :eek:

10121818_1412.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭fattymuatty

I've tried reading back but this thread's reeeeaaaallllly long, what's the chance's of tons of snow in Galway City can anyone tell me?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭irishgeo

sorry guys real crappy day at work and i was letting of some steam.

i got to go to tuam to pick someone up i hope they cancel it to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 dustin2

SNOW SNOW AND MORE SNOW !! if you were that sick of it then your on the wrong forum .. SNOW SNOW SNOW ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

carlmwan wrote: »
    I hope we get a chance to do this during this cold spell:D

I hope we get a chance to do this!

I suppose its not really dependant on snow but it'd cushion a fall in case the line snapped

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 dustin2

SNOW SNOW AND MORE SNOW !! if you were that sick of it then your on the wrong forum .. SNOW SNOW SNOW ..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement