Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe weather: Snow and Ice and sub zero temperatures from Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Whats the chances of snow in athlone-ballinasloe the weekend anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

i'm not whinging:confused::cool: just cant wait to see what/who actually is correct:D ME, UKMO, mt cranium, black briar, weathercheck, beasterly etc...... r my 98yr old aunt who informed me 2day that snow that stays around for a long time is waiting for more snow:eek::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

dustin2 wrote: »
    SNOW SNOW AND MORE SNOW !! if you were that sick of it then your on the wrong forum .. SNOW SNOW SNOW ..

def not sick of it, LOVE SNOW, i'm just saying that ders so many different forecasts!!!! just tryin to see who give me the best forecast for snow for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Whats the chances of snow in athlone-ballinasloe the weekend anyone know?

Anyone :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Paddy Power doing betting on Lowest temp in Dublin
    Singles Only. Applies to the lowest temperature recorded for any day from Monday 20th to Sunday 26th December 2010 at Dublin according to wunderground.com daily (using min. temperature on daily summary records).

Lower than -6ºC 5/1
    -4.01 to -6ºC 4/1
    -2.01 to -4ºC 3/1
    0 to -2ºC 15/8
    0.01 to 2ºC 5/2
    2.01 to 4ºC 3/1
    More than 4ºC 6/1

Seems good odds for -6, did dublin get this cold in last cold spell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

i'm not whinging:confused::cool: just cant wait to see what/who actually is correct:D ME, UKMO, mt cranium, black briar, weathercheck, beasterly etc...... r my 98yr old aunt who informed me 2day that snow that stays around for a long time is waiting for more snow:eek::rolleyes:

hearts broken, toes frozen, reputations shattered...its gonna be epic:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Animated satellite of the Greenland express.

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html

Friday Atlantic map

101214_1200_72.png

http://en.vedur.is/weather/forecasts/atlantic/

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

irishgeo wrote: »
    sorry guys real crappy day at work and i was letting of some steam.

i got to go to tuam to pick someone up i hope they cancel it to be honest.

Safe travelling, I'm sure everyone here understands the difficulty such weather can cause, and they have sympathy. They also try and help people by discussing what bad weather may come.

All the best, hopefully you're able to get around without too much trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 dustin2

There isnt much we can do when it comes to the weather :o, Cant see what the big fuzz is about the snow , its not as if life stops,:rolleyes: the likes of poland and other county's get this kinda weather if not worse every year , and they dont just stop everything like we do, they just get on with it..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Animated satellite of the Greenland express.
    [URL="http://"][/URL]

"express" - I thought I was waiting for Godot! ;)

Thanks for the link. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭carlmwan

Conor108 wrote: »
    I hope we get a chance to do this!

I suppose its not really dependant on snow but it'd cushion a fall in case the line snapped

holy s**t thats MAD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

More snow?!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

• Registered Users Posts: 14,514 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

MTC early call for snowfall amounts

Okay, rather than beating around the bush, I have put together this little table of predicted snowfall amounts based on a consensus of the various models, my research ideas, and whatever came to hand ... and this is how much snowfall I am expecting in various regions of Ireland these next five days (starting Thursday). The regions are fairly broad but you can probably find your forecast here. Amounts are in cms and the time intervals are the 24 hours of each day. Within that, you would have to look at the guidance to figure out what part of those days the snow was actually going to fall. And these are subject to change as the models and forecasting tools change. In all cases, some coastal locations prone to mixing will see less.

REGION .............. THURS .... FRI ..... SAT ..... SUN ..... MON

Ulster ..................... 08 ...... 07 ...... 10 ..... 07 ...... 03

Connacht ................ 05 ...... 10 ...... 03 ..... 03 ...... 02

West Munster, Clare .. 03 ..... 03 ...... 05 ..... 10 ...... 10

East Munster ............ 01 ..... 02 ...... 05 ..... 10 ...... 10

inland southeast ....... 02 ..... 03 ...... 05 ..... 15 ...... 15

Dublin/Wicklow ......... 01 ..... 02 ...... 05 ..... 10 ...... 15

rest of Leinster ........ 03 ..... 04 ...... 05 ..... 07 ...... 07

Now, if you live somewhat higher up than average in any region, you are likely to get more. If you live in a part of Connacht that is well exposed to a northwest wind, you'll get more. The parts of Ulster most likely to max out within those ranges are central Donegal, Derry, Tyrone and Fermanagh, north Antrim. Some people live near a boundary of two or three regions, if so, take the average of all the figures that apply to those regions. I haven't really gone for huge variations region to region here. The basic idea is the snow will be heavier at first in the north and west and reach only better exposed parts of the south and east. Then later, the snow should be heavier across parts of the south. Obviously, if you're the lighthouse keeper at the end of some peninsula in the south, you may get less than what's stated for West Munster, but this does give some hope even for Cork to get a blanket of snow over the weekend. I will update this chart perhaps once a day as we move forward. It could also snow on Tuesday, I just wanted to go that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

^^

Get your Christmas shopping finished tomorrow lads...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Nice MT, fair play.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

gme-1-54.png?12

• Registered Users Posts: 14,514 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Could somebody put a tenner on that 6/1 for -6 or lower at Dublin? PM me if you do, I'll reimburse you if you lose and you can split the 60 with me if we win. :D (only one offer accepted)

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

^^

Get your Christmas shopping finished tomorrow lads...

:D
    done and dusted mine ages ago :D:D now i sit back and relax

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Well one benefit of the cold snap is that we will all know the days of the week in French from the charts that are getting posted from Meteociel.fr :D

mayo.mick wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Hey, you just stole that from my post in the other thread...:mad: :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

So guys, does this mean Mayo will get the most of the snow/cold weather this time round??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Could somebody put a tenner on that 6/1 for -6 or lower at Dublin? PM me if you do, I'll reimburse you if you lose and you can split the 60 with me if we win. :D (only one offer accepted)

where u seeing this? ha

do paddy power DO bets like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭thomasj

Iancar29 wrote: »
    where u seeing this? ha

do paddy power DO bets like that?

Pp offering 5/1 on week ending 27th getting lower than -6

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

thomasj wrote: »
    Pp offering 5/1 on week ending 27th getting lower than -6

hmmm... looks like ill be popping in to PP 2moro so! :rolleyes:... * hmm , now how much should i place on it... wheres my wallet gone?* :)
    Lowest temp in Dublin week ending 27th Dec
    Friday 17th December 2010, 22:00
    Lowest temp in Dublin Hide
    Singles Only. Applies to the lowest temperature recorded for any day from Monday 20th to Sunday 26th December 2010 at Dublin according to wunderground.com daily (using min. temperature on daily summary records).
    Lower than -6ºC 5/1
    -4.01 to -6ºC 4/1
    -2.01 to -4ºC 3/1
    0 to -2ºC 15/8
    0.01 to 2ºC 5/2
    2.01 to 4ºC 3/1
    More than 4ºC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Iancar29 wrote: »
    hmmm... looks like ill be popping in to PP 2moro so! :rolleyes:... * hmm , now how much should i place on it... wheres my wallet gone?* :)

that 5-1 may not last long, I have stuck 20 on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Need to go to Galway Saturday and home Sunday around 4 or 5. i.e Dublin to Galway.

I was hoping to drive but should I change my plans and get the train?

homolumo wrote: »
    that 5-1 may not last long, I have stuck 20 on.
    Just put 25 on it , sure why not :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Hey, you just stole that from my post in the other thread...:mad: :P

Sorry, just trying to keep us westies informed:o

I'm not sure whether I am looking forward to or dreading this upcoming cold spell.

As a weather fan it's very, very exciting, and the fact that its happening in the days before (and perhaps even during) Christmas makes it the stuff of dreams.

But another part of me is dreading the disruption. The lethal footpaths, higher heating bills, problems getting to work/shops/family etc.

• Advertisement

I am looking forward to this upcoming cold spell.

As a weather fan it's very, very exciting, and the fact that its happening in the days before (and perhaps even during) Christmas makes it the stuff of dreams.
    Fixed your post there Maquiladora :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement