Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe weather: Snow and Ice and sub zero temperatures from Thursday

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

homolumo wrote: »
    that 5-1 may not last long, I have stuck 20 on.

Betting suspended on -6 . . . :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Can someone link to it on PaddyPower please ?

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I'm not sure whether I am looking forward to or dreading this upcoming cold spell.

As a weather fan it's very, very exciting, and the fact that its happening in the days before (and perhaps even during) Christmas makes it the stuff of dreams.

But another part of me is dreading the disruption. The lethal footpaths, higher heating bills, problems getting to work/shops/family etc.

Maq aren't you in Waterford? Are you expecting that much disruption down south?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

I tried to put a bet on and it said event suspended?? Any ideas on whats happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Hammy_irl

homolumo wrote: »
    that 5-1 may not last long, I have stuck 20 on.

I saw that earlier and was the original bet not from thurs (16th) to the 26th?! so basically its only paying from monday on?! Is it not gonna be the coldest over the weekend!? I'm thinking of throwing down a tenner but really not sure if it'll reach -6 after monday?!

What do you think MT?!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

opr wrote: »
    Can someone link to it on PaddyPower please ?

Opr

its suspended betting agggggggh:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭thomasj

Someone on paddy power has been on here! :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

ellieh1 wrote: »
    I tried to put a bet on and it said event suspended?? Any ideas on whats happened?

I think if there a sudden influx of bets it is automatically suspended until the bet is reviewed - to allow them lower the odds or if needs be remove the offer altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Hammy_irl

Probably too many bets gone down in the last 20 mins and they've pulled it! happen quite often!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Cause bookies are w*nkers and afraid to lay a bet, If they see any sort of a string of decent bets on that -6 they'll suspend it and put it back up at 4/1 maybe even 3/1 in about ten minutes time.

EDIT: There ya go, Odds change to 7/2 and they probably only have a liability of about 1000 on it. Mugs :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,514 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Have a look at this radar, this shows snow streamers in a NNW flow from Lake Huron in Ontario (Canada). Now these would be more extreme than what will happen in Connacht on Thursday and Friday, but the banding and general shaping will probably be similar.

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=WSO

In your case, the streamers tend to get wider and if I may say, flabbier because the arctic air is over water so much longer. But not so much flabbier that they lose all the intensity, just some of it.

These Ontario snow squalls have been dropping snow at the rate of 5-10 cm an hour in the heavier bands and the east-west highway that you see on the map there to the west of London towards Sarnia is now closed and the military are rescuing stranded travellers (why this road wasn't closed in advance, I can't say, the forecasts were all calling for this to happen, it has now been going on two days and this is the second round of heavy snow squalls in the region, some of you no doubt saw the videos posted on here last week too).

I guess snow streamers from the north-northwest are rare in Ireland but if you compare the two air masses (the one today over the Great Lakes and the one coming down from Greenland) the parameters are about the same for thickness, of course the 850 mb temp is lower in Canada because there's only the small lake to modify the atmosphere (and it's still 8 deg C).

Ontario snow squalls can be extremely heavy, so I'm well aware that I need to take a small fraction of these analogue situations, but a small fraction of a metre is still a lot of snow. (Extreme cases in Ontario can amount to 100-125 cms in 24h periods, same in western NY state which has some famous snow belts around Buffalo from Lake Erie, and Syracuse or Watertown at the east end of Lake Ontario).

Even at 5 or 10 per cent, a comparison would give quite a heavy snowfall by Irish standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

Paddy Power have suspended that bet now, must have realised they were being stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

B0X wrote: »
    Paddy Power have suspended that bet now, must have realised they were being stupid.

Novelty stuff like that they would have an automatic stop loss system in place to suspend.

Edit - Well done to anyone who got on, looks like a great bet.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

PP have taken the lower than -6 out as one of the selections and now have -4.01 to -6 @ 4/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Is it against the charter to place and take a punt against each other here on the forum?!? I nearly regret saying that already hehe! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Betting suspended on -6 . . . :P
    wow that was fast

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

baraca wrote: »
    Cause bookies are w*nkers and afraid to lay a bet, If they see any sort of a string of decent bets on that -6 they'll suspend it and put it back up at 4/1 maybe even 3/1 in about ten minutes time.

EDIT: There ya go, Odds change to 7/2 and they probably only have a liability of about 1000 on it. Mugs :pac:

how dare they!... dam u 's all with credit cards!, me having to wait till the morning! :(

heres the link anyways...http://www.paddypower.com/bet/novelty-betting/weather/cold-snap-specials?ev_oc_grp_ids=396852

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

MTC early call for snowfall amounts

REGION .............. THURS .... FRI ..... SAT ..... SUN ..... MON

Dublin/Wicklow ......... 01 ..... 02 ...... 05 ..... 10 ...... 15

Sunday/Monday really going to be that heavy here ? Wow. Will this be in the form of streamers coming off the Irish Sea, like 2 weeks ago ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Looking forward to the snow and refreshing this page:D:D! Sh**ting getting home for christmas!!

Roll on the hols:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

If I didnt post the information here about paddy powers bet maybe it wouldnt have been suspended lol
    Yous all owe me a pint WHEN yas win :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

5/2 on PaddiePower for Cork to see a White Xmas.
    Betting conditions:
    "Singles Only. Settled using official Weather station data from main International Airports of each city/airport report acc to wunderground.com. 1mm of snowfall must be recorded as falling between 00:00 and 23:59 on Dec 25th 2010. PP decision is final in settlement of this market."

I reckon its worth a flutter...........;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I'll know it's a proper winters day when I can go outside and do this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭laurence997

Hail sleet and snow!! G'wan Evelyn :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Pangea wrote: »
    If I didnt post the information here about paddy powers bet maybe it wouldnt have been suspended lol
    Yous all owe me a pint WHEN yas win :D

I knew the 5/1 would not last long but I didn't think it would disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

ME: Polar low to drift down until next Thursday. Brief mention of possible sleet/snow. -5 possible. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

Evelyn - you are a legend...sticking your neck out and putting up the Dec 23 pressure chart....RESPECT!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭bionic.laura

Evelyn uttered the phrase 'polar low' on the forecast just now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

Grimes wrote: »
    ME: Polar low to drift down until next Thursday. Brief mention of possible sleet/snow. -5 possible. That is all.

And artic winds. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Did she say it would hang around until the 23rd? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

CarMuppet wrote: »
    And artic winds. :)

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement