Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe weather: Snow and Ice and sub zero temperatures from Thursday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow I mean we gotta love every bit of snow we get don't we...

In Ireland, especially here in the West yep, we have to cherish every flake :)
    I am actually leaving for my country 2morrow, and I was expecting to see some snow there as well (chances are good), but I kinda wish I stayed here for this weekend, as it looks crazy exciting, for a fan of snow :)
    Well, you can't be in 2 places at the same time, anyhow. Not to mention that snow is expected there on the weekend, too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

would anyone be able to give a rough estimate for the south east of the UK around cambridgeshire please? it's just that my mum is there and she's a pensioner living on her own so I want to make sure she's well prepared for what might come.

been trying to send her some cash via western union all morning to make sure she can afford to keep her heating going, but the poxy "verified by visa" thing keeps crashing out, grr! :mad:

probably as good a time as any for everyone to think about any elderly relatives who might need a hand getting ready for the cold weather. you might be able to help by insulating any drafty doors or windows or helping to make sure they're all set for heating fuel and basic necessities before it gets too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭smodgley

vibe666 wrote: »
    would anyone be able to give a rough estimate for the south east of the UK around cambridgeshire please? it's just that my mum is there and she's a pensioner living on her own so I want to make sure she's well prepared for what might come.been trying to send her some cash via western union all morning to make sure she can afford to keep her heating going, but the poxy "verified by visa" thing keeps crashing out, grr! :mad:

probably as good a time as any for everyone to think about any elderly relatives who might need a hand getting ready for the cold weather. you might be able to help by insulating any drafty doors or windows or helping to make sure they're all set for heating fuel and basic necessities before it gets too bad.

well said !!!!!!!!!!!

vibe666 wrote: »
    would anyone be able to give a rough estimate for the south east of the UK around cambridgeshire please? it's just that my mum is there and she's a pensioner living on her own so I want to make sure she's well prepared for what might come.

been trying to send her some cash via western union all morning to make sure she can afford to keep her heating going, but the poxy "verified by visa" thing keeps crashing out, grr! :mad:

Go into your local bank and do an international transfer.
    It will be there in 3 days and is cheaper.
    They charge €20 iirc for same day or next day transfers but normal ones go through in 3 to 5 working days.

I don't know specifically the forecast for your Mums area but TBH when dealing with a pensioner,it's best to assume the worst.It's better to be prepared than to be caught out.
    It's also better to be prepared even if nothing happens.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The and Wickila only 33KG
    yeah mean we might get more on top of the metres of the stuff on the hills here already?
    God help us if the winds go Easterly if thats what a nw brings...

Relax though folks all those charts while they look yummy have been basically been binned by the US weather department as the gfs midnight run was cack according to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Given -6 tonight and thats before the cold spell comes! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭Newtown90

what are the chances of an Upgrade.....

Going home for xmas the 23rd so it better not be too bad:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

Relax though folks all those charts while they look yummy have been basically been binned by the US weather department as the gfs midnight run was cack according to them.

Would you care to cite any source for this? I'd be highly interested in what they mean (as I hated the 00z very much, was showing a warm mucky Xmas for my region....)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mojopolo

Metoffice.gov.uk have just issued severe weather warnings for Thursday and Friday with up to 20cms of snow in places by midday Friday

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ni/ni_forecast_warnings.html
    Heavy Snow1200 Thu 161200 Fri 17Snow showers will become increasingly frequent and heavy through Thursday with accumulations of 5 to 10 cm in general, but locally 20 cm by midday Friday. Snow will be accompanied by strong northerly winds leading to some drifting.
    This is expected to cause disruption to travel networks.
    Issued at: 1157 Mon 13 Dec

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Go into your local bank and do an international transfer.
    It will be there in 3 days and is cheaper.
    They charge €20 iirc for same day or next day transfers but normal ones go through in 3 to 5 working days.
    i've done that before, but she gets means tested for the meagre sum they give her so if i start paying money directly into her bank account the government might decide to reduce the amount they give her.

i spoke to her last night and she told me that they had put up her gas & electric bill from £65 per month to £95 and they sent her a letter to say its going up to £120 per month in January. she then went on to say that she turned down the heating to try and save money and had started using a couple of blankets and hot water bottle in the evenings to keep her warm. :mad:

whatever happens i'm going to do my best to make sure she's okay, but it would be nice if i can tell her if she's going to get snow or not and how cold its likely to get.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You can always bung cash into her Gas supplier. eg

https://www.britishgas.co.uk/Make-A-Payment/Personnel-Details-Entry/

@vibe,it's going to get sub zero maximums by day over there,I've no doubt about that.
    Snow is harder to quantify or position.
    Theres a regional forum for the southeast over on netweather if you want to pose your question there.

Would you care to cite any source for this? I'd be highly interested in what they mean (as I hated the 00z very much, was showing a warm mucky Xmas for my region....)
    Nws in the states is my source.I don't have a link on my phone or even a handy way of copying or pasting one.
    I haven't read what they've said about the 6z gfs as they haven't published those comments yet I think,not that I've seen anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Irelands Weather Network got mentioned on Corks 96fm. As did the weather warning and Peters forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

GavinH wrote: »
    Irelands Weather Network got mentioned on Corks 96fm. As did the weather warning and Peters forecast.

What do you think GavinH? Could this be Cork's time to shine?!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

I bet there will be a lot of this later in the week:

http://xkcd.com/831/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Wish i wasnt in work the weekend :(.... im gonna miss refreshing the page every 2 minutes :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Wish i wasnt in work the weekend :(

Does it get warm in that Santa suit? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭Newtown90

What a time to have damn college exams!!

Grrrrrrrr...... This thread will be much more interested than study come thursday!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

leahyl wrote: »

TBH I just don't know. Everything looks right, but we have been let down so often. I wouldn't be betting my house on it. But I am hopeful. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭smodgley

RTE weather after the news says turning wintery at the weekend,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Wish i wasnt in work the weekend :(.... im gonna miss refreshing the page every 2 minutes :(

Ha me too:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Im off work after Wednesday so BRING IT ON !!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Dean.Tamkin

QQ . I havent a clue what any of those charts mean, so could someone just tell me in plain understandable english .
    1. Is it gonna snow
    2. if so how much/bad (N east area)
    3. is this just all speculation

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

leahyl wrote: »

Well the only way you can polish a turd is when its frozen solid. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

good lord, just when i taught last nights weather chat here could'nt get more hazardous for my health, i watch the met eireann forecast where they say it will turn wintry later in the week, then i log in here and am greeted with the headline severe weather: snow, ice and sub zero temperatures from thursday :eek:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

GavinH wrote: »
    Irish Weather Online:)

Wolfe
    PR Department :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

I dont believe it what a treat more snow confirmed on RTE/BBC aswell
    Mother nature is spoiling us :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Irish Weather Online:)

Wolfe
    PR Department :p

When you're constantly on the radio in New Zealand, then you can boast Wolfe. :p

• Advertisement

snow ghost wrote: »
    When you're constantly on the radio in New Zealand, then you can boast Wolfe. :p
    i can never see the moon in west clare SG. Too cloudy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement