Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe weather: Snow and Ice and sub zero temperatures from Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭laurence997

Evelyn uttered the phrase 'polar low' on the forecast just now.....

The cheek :D :P

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

Dyflin wrote: »
    Did she say it would hang around until the 23rd? :eek:

she had +2 C over us for Dec 23 with a northwesterly flow...nothing too mad....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Grimes wrote: »
    ME: Polar low to drift down until next Thursday. Brief mention of possible sleet/snow. -5 possible. That is all.

Not a regular here at all, so this may be a silly question, but why is Met Eireann not forecasting heavy snow like MT Cranium is?

They mentioned it almost in passing.:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Grimes wrote: »
    ME: Polar low to drift down until next Thursday. Brief mention of possible sleet/snow. -5 possible. That is all.

Afraid of the s word still!

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭smodgley

#15 wrote: »
    Not a regular here at all, so this may be a silly question, but why is Met Eireann not forecasting heavy snow like MT Cranium is?

They mentioned it almost in passing.:confused::confused:

they dont want to be accused of causing panic among the reisdents of this fair isle:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

Easy on the details there Evelyn. :mad:

Fail forcast.

she says alot more than the others ME TV presenters would.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

http://www.weatherwizkids.com/weather-winter-storms.htm

above link is to kids weather site (american centric), but for newbies it's actually got some really good information in digestible chunks.

Just thought it might be of interest !

5/2 on PaddiePower for Cork to see a White Xmas.
    Betting conditions:
    "Singles Only. Settled using official Weather station data from main International Airports of each city/airport report acc to wunderground.com. 1mm of snowfall must be recorded as falling between 00:00 and 23:59 on Dec 25th 2010. PP decision is final in settlement of this market."

I reckon its worth a flutter...........;)
    Cork white christmas now at 9/4. PP Have an inside man I'd say :P.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

What's the chances of not being able to land at the airport on Friday afternoon??

Winding if I'm spending Xmas in Malta, which wouldn't be awful :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Cork white christmas now at 9/4. PP Have an inside man I'd say :P.
    He was on the radio today and he referred to some reports online, "we have a few lads watching it", that could refer to these threads alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

DeVore wrote: »
    What's the chances of not being able to land at the airport on Friday afternoon??

Winding if I'm spending Xmas in Malta, which wouldn't be awful :)

DeV.

You'll be diverted to Cork.... The temperature forcasted there will be similar to Malta's :pac:

Man Its gone quiet here. Is everyone watching the swimsuit modelling on TV or something :P :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I reckon there's a better chance of landing in..............say..............some Alaskan airport :p (I'd say Friday should be ok, but Sunday/Monday :eek:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Man Its gone quiet here. Is everyone watching the swimsuit modelling on TV or something :P :D

what station is it on ?:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Everyone is taking a moment to take it all in.This is going to be a major event we will be talking about for years ;) Well i hope it is :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭StraddleFor6

White Christmas in Lanzarote at 50/1 worth a punt?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Hi all, are we really expecting this to intensify over sun/mon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭Newtown90

aurora 527 wrote: »
    Hi all, are we really expecting this to intensify over sun/mon?

By the looks of it ya! Big time!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I am completely lost!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

I'm still watching and waiting. Totally terrified it'll get downgraded to boring rain and regular temperatures. Can't quite believe after stalking a weather pattern this long it's actually going to happen....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭NoodleMc

I'm all stocked up. Santa is finished shopping. Oil tank filled. Chimney swept. Briquettes bought and in the car (presuming that there won't be so much snow that I can't get to the car in my driveway!).
    Now all I need is for the airport to be open for a few hours on Monday so my sister can get home for Christmas and I'm all set! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

leahyl wrote: »
    I am completely lost!!

you're in cork, the green bit on the map surrounded by white;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

I reckon it will take a more Easterly approcah and Hit the UK harder than it will hit us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭StraddleFor6

leahyl wrote: »
    I am completely lost!!

It gonna snow!

olliewilliams.jpg

Aaaw you're mean:(.....

I'm still watching and waiting. Totally terrified it'll get downgraded to boring rain and regular temperatures. Can't quite believe after stalking a weather pattern this long it's actually going to happen....

Me too... as thats what usually happens.. down in the south anyway!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Harsh but true, lol:D

Still have alot of snow here, maybe it will be here to christmas even if no fresh stuff falls!

Oh lads will my dream ever be realised....SIGH....snow on Christmas eve - oh what a sight that would be:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Well I'm actually watching three areas! I work in balinteer, live in maynooth and am supposed to travel to Mayo on fri night and get back up on Sunday for work Monday....

• Advertisement

Polar low potential for weekend just posted by IWO

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement