Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe weather: Snow and Ice and sub zero temperatures from Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

There may be some snow mixed in with it alright but its very marginal according to the 18z GFS, but the ECM is total whiteout.

It is still very far away for specifics so don't be disheartened yet.

If the low shifts a bit north than forcasted rain all the way(GFS), a bit south garunteed snowmageddon(ECM). It is still a bit FI so I say its 50:50 what will happen. Lets just see what the next model runs say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

On Friday there is roughly a 100% chance of snow for Everyone!!! ;)

snowi.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,514 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Ever wondered what GFS stands for?

Good Foot of Snow.

Seriously, the 18z looks quite good as a continuation of themes already discussed here, and if you want the stuff, I would say be optimistic, if you don't, then we have some work to do.

Glad we got those bets in (thanks, Homolumo) for the -6 temps because there's quite a break in the action by about Tuesday night and Wednesday, ground is likely to be snow covered so with any clearing, that could be a very cold night.

GFS continues to insist on warming things up on Christmas Eve. Like we've all said a million times, this is often a faulty signal with this model. But it has to be right sooner or later, as they say around here, even a blind squirrel finds the occasional nut.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

So how come Met eireann havent even mentioned snow for thursday on their tv forecast?
    They say the greenland express is gona bring rain down the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Tonights 96 and 120 hr fax charts say snow all the way:D

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

On Friday there is roughly a 100% chance of snow for Everyone!!! ;)

snowi.png

Thats actually worrying - I've my flight back from Edinburgh at 3.30pm on Friday. I really do not want to get stuck there over the weekend :(

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Also picking myself off the floor, half frightened to refresh in case its more bad news!!!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Thats actually worrying - I've my flight back from Edinburgh at 3.30pm on Friday. I really do not want to get stuck there over the weekend :(

Don't worry the snow will only start falling at EXACTLY 7pm. So you have until that minute to get home and not one second longer...

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Don't worry the snow will only start falling at EXACTLY 7pm. So you have until that minute to get home and not one second longer...

Ahhh... I see :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

Nicked from Snowbie over on IWN forum-sorry Snowbie if your on here.;)

18z has just rolled out Fridays charts. Confidence 50%

Snow risk covering the 24hrs for Friday from midnight to midnight from this run.

Snow risk very high in the SW, W, NW and N. (Risk of sleet during morning in SW)

Slight to Moderate risk of snow in the midlands
    Slight risk in the east and south.

Troughs increase risk to all areas during Friday.
    There is a change since the 18z run on Monday or 24hrs ago.

Friday should have some decent snowfall amount at lower areas of the West, NW and N by the morning time. Upwards of 3 inches in places with higher totals over hills/mtns.
    There should be good sunshine at first also but showers continuing by the coasts in these regions. Later during the morning, the first of what appears to be two troughs will push down the western seaboard and the next into the north moving south across the country later.

The western trough was the shallow LP from last night downgraded to a little feature but has a warm core. So after initial showers of snow in the early morning, the precip will be more of sleet and then back to snow as cold air once again filters in from the NW during the evening. This may bring a renewed risk of heavy snow showers to the west and SW.

The northern trough looks fairly active atm. This will bring a belt of heavy snow showers to Ulster and moving south during the afternoon. Accumulation over Ulster with another 3 inches in places but further south the intensity will diminish but a covering in places in Leinster maybe on the cards.

Winds will be NW to N then NW later strong at first decreasing later.
    Top temps of -1C to +2C mildest in the south.
    A significant wind chill affect will also be evident.

Friday evening and overnight.
    Across the midlands, some rouge showers may filter through from time to time with small deposits.

Into the East, SE and south, again the chance of a rouge shower penetrating through later Friday and into the overnight period is possible.

Lowest temps between -1C to -8C coldest in the south midlands and parts of the SE.

viewimage-21.png

viewimage1-17.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I got 10-1 on that bet last night:D
    It would only allow me bet 9euro though:mad:
    Forgot to tell rest of ye
    :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

roughly a 100% chance of snow

roughly 100% :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

HOLY fck! i go away for a few days on business very busy vague idea of some cold coming, and now im back and dare i believe the west and galway are going to get a smacking? wtf? unreal:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

lucy2010 wrote: »
    The old people are mad - but very wise mad folk. papa smurf seems to snort in the air & can tell the weather from it. A man of the land so can tell you what the days gonna be like - he said last week he smelt it in the air.. i told him to keep poppin those pills..... True enough he was dead bloody right.... we had a huge influx of seagulls today & thats one thing he always said - they no thicks they come in off the sea when bad weather approaches..... so will wait & see if hes right.... but hes lived through all those bad winters so he knows a thing or 2.... wait & see but listen to the woser folk !

omg she actually said on the weekend before the last snow (sat 27th nov) 'i can smell snow in the air':pac::pac::D:D

Right i'm going by my crazy wise 98yr old aunts weather predictions from now on :D:D BRING ON THE SNOW :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Snowfall In Edinburagh could be a "GFS" story tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

omg she actually said on the weekend before the last snow (sat 27th nov) 'i can smell snow in the air':pac::pac::D:D

Right i'm going by my crazy wise 98yr old aunts weather predictions from now on :D:D BRING ON THE SNOW :P

I get sharp frontal headaches a couple of hours before snow happens..... perhaps I'm crazy ?? I've always had this as long as I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I get sharp frontal headaches a couple of hours before snow happens..... perhaps I'm crazy ?? I've always had this as long as I can remember.

My head hurts too :D

(something to do with sitting in front of the computer too long ...g'night all)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Dont want this weather coming back, im heading to the states next monday morning and im having bad thoughts going through my head:(

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Esmeralda34

Planning to travel to Belgium on Friday evening and back on Sunday night. How worried should I be about getting there and more importantly getting back?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Planning to travel to Belgium on Friday evening and back on Sunday night. How worried should I be about getting there and more importantly getting back?!?!

Gives you an excuse to stay in Belgium!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Don't worry about getting back - look at all the beers you'll get to try!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Hi all,

Baby no.1 due in the next 10 days or so.. can we take it in Waterford, a few miles from the coast that there'll be a good chance of snow of some sort before Christmas day?

I'd love a good dose of snow, just not on the day I need to take the missis to the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

GFS toys with the idea if a significant snow storm developing over Ireland during Friday and pushing in to England, exact positioning of this cannot be fully determined at this stage as a rapidly developing situation.

There is a heightened liklihood of decent fall of snow countrywide with the developing low and some areas in England could have incredible falls and blizzards during early Saturday., this could yet impact Ireland.

At the moment it is really exciting, a truly exceptional set of circumstance will arrive from Friday through the weekend with a deep polar vortex and such an unstable and extreme cold airmass. It is not often you see an intensifying low over Britain and Ireland with maximum of -7c 850hpa air intwinned in it:D

It is a rapidly changing and developing situation, so snow wise i think our focus should be from Thursday - Saturday at this point. And watching the positioning of the developing runner lows on Friday and Saturday.

Truly exceptional set up with severe snowfall in areas a certainty at this stage, the question is, where and when?

Eyes down for an epic few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Paully D wrote: »
    I really hope that's true. After next week it can do what it likes (:D) but until then I need to be able to travel until then.
    vlcsnap-414109.png?w=720&h=480

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

GFS toys with the idea if a significant snow storm developing over Ireland during Friday and pushing in to England, exact positioning of this cannot be fully determined at this stage as a rapidly developing situation.

Eyes down for an epic few days.

Is it a Polar Low WC ?
    I'm beginning to think Evelyn might have called it right.
    Anyway whether it is or not, it certainly would give the same result
    In fact for the UK it would give a dumping that most Polar low's wouldn't do
    Exceptional charts at the moment for severe cold

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

fizzycyst wrote: »
    tell me, where and how can I contact these 'woser folk' :D

too many pubs - wouldnt know where to find him ......:D

generally on a mountain side... 74 & going strong & mountain climbs weekly 20 years after a quadruple bypass:D doesnt let a bit of snow stop him - prize $£^%ole went missing in the dublin mountains in the last snow - missing alright - into bloody Johnie Foxes where I found the pratt !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

so the advice would be, get the firewood and coal and gas replinished, and the fridge stocked, for cork when are we going to get the worst, or will we get the least

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

The prediction of this heavy snow remains constant. Wonder how deep now it will be since it is a certainty. Id say Sligo will get its worst Friday but again it falls during the day (like it did on Monday 6th December) so dont know will that impact on accumulations or not.

The rest of ye can predict yer own snow :D but I think Sligo will get 7 to 10cm with very treacherous roads. Inland towns like Tubbercurry and Charlestown could get 12 or 15cm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

All in all 2010 has been a great year for weather,
    Nice it's falling on the weekend too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Esmeralda34

STIG83 wrote: »
    Gives you an excuse to stay in Belgium!!

But I want to get hooooome for Christmas!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement